+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My new gaming rig!

Soulwalker

Default My new gaming rig!

Hey, pre-ordered rift and am ready for it. I want to build a totally new computer which will last me 2 years hopefully, and this computer will be for rift and other games in the future that im looking forward to. Please give me your input on it and if you think it will run games fine.

Case= Cooler Master steel Full-tower (has 4 fans in it)
    Power Supply= 1080W modular sli/crossfire certified
    Hard drive= 500GB 7200 RPM x 2 (ill run it in raid)
    Video card= 6870 1GB 256 bit
    DVD drive= just a regular asus dvd drive
    Memory/ram= 12Gb (3x4GB) DDR3 1600
    Motherboard= Gigabyte X58 UD3R 6gb/s
    Processor= i7 960 3.2 GHz
    Monitor= 24 inch full HD HDMI LED backlight ASUS

Well you got an outdated processor, It's not even current generation now - and sandy bridge generation is about to be outdated by Ivy bridge later this year even - so you are starting out behind there.

Should have gone Nvidia - ATI seems to be struggling with Rift.

Your lack of brand names is disconcerting, are you getting cheap offbrand parts? If so your system won't last 2 years, because of it breaking down not being outdated.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Irishturtle View Post
    Hey, pre-ordered rift and am ready for it. I want to build a totally new computer which will last me 2 years hopefully, and this computer will be for rift and other games in the future that im looking forward to. Please give me your input on it and if you think it will run games fine.

Case= Cooler Master steel Full-tower (has 4 fans in it)
    Power Supply= 1080W modular sli/crossfire certified
    Hard drive= 500GB 7200 RPM x 2 (ill run it in raid)
    Video card= 6870 1GB 256 bit
    DVD drive= just a regular asus dvd drive
    Memory/ram= 12Gb (3x4GB) DDR3 1600
    Motherboard= Gigabyte X58 UD3R 6gb/s
    Processor= i7 960 3.2 GHz
    Monitor= 24 inch full HD HDMI LED backlight ASUS
    afew things, i would get an SSD drive for gaming, its alot faster. use one driver for windows and dont install games on this drive.

Overclock the CPU to 4ghz you can do this with pretty much no voltage change and with a stock cooler, it will only put the temps up by 6 to 8c if you want to go higher you will need to alter voltage, i could tell you how to do it step by step but its better you do some research so you better know what you are doing, btw that cpu can get to 5.3ghz with aftermarket cooling and volt tweaks(that is topend and is not easy to get stable though)

Soulwalker

Im getting all good name brands. What processor would you suggest and which video card would you suggest?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    Well you got an outdated processor, It's not even current generation now - and sandy bridge generation is about to be outdated by Ivy bridge later this year even - so you are starting out behind there.

Should have gone Nvidia - ATI seems to be struggling with Rift.

Your lack of brand names is disconcerting, are you getting cheap offbrand parts? If so your system won't last 2 years, because of it breaking down not being outdated.
    i am a system tech, the best new CPU is not the always the best CPU, the i7 he has is an awesome cpu, and overclocks well and can easly keep up with the newer cpus.

you buy for value price per pound, also with cpu you buy them depending on what you want to use them for, going out and getting the one that cost the most is beyond ******ed.

Im getting all good name brands. What processor would you suggest and which video card would you suggest?
    The benefit of sandy bridge over first gen Icores is pretty massive, I would get one of those (if you can find a mobo)

I can't speak much for GPUs, mine is just enough to run it at 1920x1080 with max settings, full SSAA and full shadows. If you are fine without SSAA and / or shadows anything 460 level and above should be adequate - but I can't speak from experience there.
    My computer

Rift Disciple

well if he wants to get it right now best to go with the 1336 chipset they have a wider choice of motherboards. I just did a brief check and cant find and good 1155 motherboards

Soulwalker

Well im going to try to order all this off of newegg today. If possible, I would love to talk to someone over ts or vent about the set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by desta View Post
    i am a system tech, the best new CPU is not the always the best CPU, the i7 he has is an awesome cpu, and overclocks well and can easly keep up with the newer cpus.

you buy for value price per pound, also with cpu you buy them depending on what you want to use them for, going out and getting the one that cost the most is beyond ******ed.
    Sandy bridge beats it in every way, and was designed to replace it's price tier, with the extreme version replacements coming later this year.

Will it still run things? Yes of course.
    Will it last as long / is it the best investment long term? No. If price is a huge concern, I would still take a sandy bridge I5 than an old I7.
    My computer

Rift Disciple

ok go with the cpu you have the 1336 have alot of life left in them prob 3 to 4 years before u HAVe to upgrade. I have also heard that the i9 is coming to the 1336 chipset

Shadowlander

ok, here is the rule of thumb, you SET A PRICE your max price you will spend and no more, you write down what you want to use it for be it purly gaming or mix of gaming/encoding video or whatever it may be. then you research, you read reviews for many sources not just one, you listen to no one person.

do not buy the most costly items or the newest items unless you can afford it, there is an exept for items i will list that you must buy the best of.

PSU: this is the blood of a system and buying cheap or a psu that is not wellknow or well reviewed will always cause you hell later down the line, buy the best and be at ease.

allows better overclocking, new graphics cards that are power hungry, stability.

Motherboard:
    always buy the best you can afford, it is what makes the system work, a poor motherboard will slow every other part of your system down limit overclocking and lower stability.

Memory:
    Get the best memory you can affort, getting the max ammount a system can hold isnt always wise since this actually lowers the performance some times, but make sure you get enough to use tripple channel ect.
    memory allows for better overclocking, system stability, gaming performance though not as much as you may think.

After market Cpu cooler:
    be it water cooling or heatsync never buy a cheap cooler, if you do you will risk your cpu and may lower performance due to overheating. thermalright 120 ultra is my all time fav heat sink btw.

for a gaming system a small SSD drive is key for loading times and removing stuttering for games, but this is just a bonus they are not needed.

All else you buy with the system of performance/pound CPU can be overclocked to gain alot more performance.

Nvidia always cost more, but have better gaming stability and support
    ATI are tech wise more advanced and are faster then Nvidia (Hd5970 being the fastest card atm, but soon the HD6970 will be released) but due to poor game support they tend to run slower in some games, rift being one of them.

other then that all i can say is research your *** off

Quote Originally Posted by roop182 View Post
    well if he wants to get it right now best to go with the 1336 chipset they have a wider choice of motherboards. I just did a brief check and cant find and good 1155 motherboards
    http://www.overclock.net/intel-mothe...therboard.html

I went with a Asus p8p67 and it's great, especially for overclocking. I've also got it running in crossfire with zero issues which is pretty good for the base model - though it disables the additional pcie and usb3 slots and only runs in 4x (which is only a 5% decrease from 16x).

But at least, even with this base model board you know you have room for growth.

If I were you i'd go for the i7 2500k. As per your original post, I'd skip the SSD HDD until later and spend more on a better GPU (graphics card).
    Actually, have a read through this: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buy...ebruary-2011/1
    Last edited by BlackUdder; 02-21-2011 at 04:21 PM.

I've seen only one guy recommend an SSD, and that puzzles me. I'm a system builder, and most high end gamers almost always throw a decently priced 64GB+ SSD as a main game drive, and a 250GB+ 7200 drive for storage. SSD's give such a noticeable decrease in load times for both OS and gaming that it would be a shame to build a system that is supposed to last you for two years with antiquated HDD technology.
    "The problem is that the people with the most ridiculous ideas are always the people who are most certain of them."

You don't need a 1000w PSU for 1 video card.
    "Meet me in the shadows and I'll show you the depths of darkness"

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Spug View Post
    I've seen only one guy recommend an SSD, and that puzzles me. I'm a system builder, and most high end gamers almost always throw a decently priced 64GB+ SSD as a main game drive, and a 250GB+ 7200 drive for storage. SSD's give such a noticeable decrease in load times for both OS and gaming that it would be a shame to build a system that is supposed to last you for two years with antiquated HDD technology.
    im a systech too, i always use SSD with my gaming rigs, they cost a fair amount for such a small amount of space, so onlly people really into gaming and sysbuilding buy them atm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast