+ Reply to Thread

Thread: graphics card question

Soulwalker

Default graphics card question

Hi fellas,

I'm really not a hardware guy, so i need a bit of advice.

Right now i have a Nvidia Geforce 7900GTX - and with standard video settings, it actually runs ok, the framerate "only" drops to 8-12 when i'm in a invasion type rift and stuff like that.
    But i really cant live with that, so i have been looking for a new card, and i see a lot of ppl suggesting GeForce GTX 460 1GB
    I can find at reasonable prices, and every review i find, makes it look rather good. But i'll like to get the verdict from some that actually has it, what i want to know is more "down to earth" information like: am i gonna be able to max video settings in games like wow, rift, the witcher 2 and so on ?
    Are there any known issues with this card ?

Thanx

I run a GTX 470 with eveything Maxed and no issue's .... Pny and BFG have the best customer service to me by far ..

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Wasgij View Post
    I run a GTX 470 with eveything Maxed and no issue's .... Pny and BFG have the best customer service to me by far ..
    Thats wierd i have the same card and i can't run it on max.

I can run alot of stuff on max with no shadows and i get 30 - 40 fps.

Plane Touched

Graphicscards will only do so much. The rest of the PC needs to be up for the task as well. ;d

I run an MSI GTX460 1gig as well. Have been using it on LOTRO for about 4 months at max settings with no issues. LOTRO is pretty detail rich so it is def a card I would reccomend. I havent had the pleasure of playing Rift yet but I expect it will do just fine here as well.
    I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain, somehow I'm still here to explain that the darkest hour never comes in the night...

My system stats for reference

PNY GTX 470
    6 GiG DDR3 Ram
    AMD Athlon II 635 3 GiG stock
    Win 7 home Premium 64 bit
    Stock HP MotherBoard
    Acer 24" Widescreen and a Viewsonic 22" Widescreen ( Both off the one card )

FPS in game 50-60 no screen lag or Graphics issue's ( knock on wood )

Quote Originally Posted by Wasgij View Post
    My system stats for reference

PNY GTX 470
    6 GiG DDR3 Ram
    AMD Athlon II 635 3 GiG stock
    Win 7 home Premium 64 bit
    Stock HP MotherBoard
    Acer 24" Widescreen and a Viewsonic 22" Widescreen ( Both off the one card )

FPS in game 50-60 no screen lag or Graphics issue's ( knock on wood )
    This is extremely hard to believe. My system would devour yours and still be hungry and that's the same FPS I get with 1 display at 1920x1080 with everything maxed, including full AA and shadows. Are you running at non HD resolutions or are you lying? Or possibly forcing the game to look like *** through driver level settings?

I'm assuming the latter after seeing you are the kind of person who posts threads asking how you can connect when the beta is closed.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 02-21-2011 at 03:44 PM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Soulwalker

Default 3 5870's in tri-crossfire

i'm running 5870's in tri-crossfire and can't even jack all the setting up and keep a good frame rate.. i don't mean just sliding it to ultra i mean turning the AA to supersampling and everything all the way up. to stay at 60 i have to turn the shadows off and put AA at the middle setting and turn the ground clutter/radius down. just so you know i'm running a i7-930 # 4.4ghz with 6 gigs of ram oc a tad over 1600 and i have the new ati drivers which increased crossfire performance. it looks great with those settings but man i should be able to run everything jacked up, but this is still beta.

I find it hard to believe as well. I'm on a GTX 580, OC'd I7 920 (3.6 ghz), 12 GB of RAM, 1920 x 1080 and at max setting my FPS will drop in the 40's a fair amount.

I do have AF maxed at 16x and I use edge smoothing for AA. If I do SS AA I drop into the 20s and 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    This is extremely hard to believe. My system would devour yours and still be hungry and that's the same FPS I get with 1 display at 1920x1080. Are you running at non HD resolutions or are you lying?

I'm calling B.S. on his claim troll, for a couple of reasons.

1. I am yet to see a 6 GB DDR3 kit that is not triple channel. Seeing as how AMD CPUs cannot use triple channel memory, that would mean this rig is in single channel memory mode.

2. He's using an HP mobo which, unless i am mistaken, is a low end mobo.

3. While the Athlon II x4 CPU is great for say a momputer it is not choice for a high end gaming rig.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Tokelu View Post
    Hi fellas,

I'm really not a hardware guy, so i need a bit of advice.

Right now i have a Nvidia Geforce 7900GTX - and with standard video settings, it actually runs ok, the framerate "only" drops to 8-12 when i'm in a invasion type rift and stuff like that.
    But i really cant live with that, so i have been looking for a new card, and i see a lot of ppl suggesting GeForce GTX 460 1GB
    I can find at reasonable prices, and every review i find, makes it look rather good. But i'll like to get the verdict from some that actually has it, what i want to know is more "down to earth" information like: am i gonna be able to max video settings in games like wow, rift, the witcher 2 and so on ?
    Are there any known issues with this card ?

Thanx
    I meant to give you my take on this is well. The 460 is a great card but I would go with a 5 series card ONLY because if you decide to do SLI down the road it could be hard finding a 4 series.

To answer your question, I can max this game out on a GTX 580 and it's playble but my FPS will drop into the 20s with supersampling AA on. I have never noticed any stuttering or GPU lag even at that low of FPS. I generally run on high with edge smoothing AA. 16x AF and I stay high 40s to 60 at 1920 x 1080.

Keep in mind that if your have a slow CPU it can bottle neck a card. Most people seem to think that 3.2-3.6 ghz is good for most modern cards.

Drivers could also be impacting the numbers people are seeing. Since this hasn't officially launched yet drivers might not need to be where they need to be.
    Last edited by Smooey; 02-21-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Soulwalker

Thank you all for your answers.
    Theres a lot of usefull info, and some less than usefull ;)

I might consider the 5 series (if my master of treasure permits) - not sure if i'd ever have aa sli config, since i have read/heard of lots of problems, some directly in the cards, and some that are more software and/or driver specific, dunno how much truth there is in this, but im kind of always very unlucky with my computers ... call me superstitious, but i think theres a "ghost of bad computers" on my back

Thanx all
    Last edited by Tokelu; 02-22-2011 at 04:40 AM. Reason: bad spelling

Telaran

I7860 on a GA-P55A-UD3
    8GB DDR3@1600MHz (soon to be upgraded)
    1TB Sata3 (soon to be upgraded into a SSD OCZ Vertex 2)
    Palit Daytona gtx460 sonic platinum (OC)
    Asus VG236HE @ 120Hz

I did not bother to see my FPS in Rift, but I had no problems and no screen tearing so far. I'll check and leave a message later.

Quote Originally Posted by muky View Post
    i'm running 5870's in tri-crossfire and can't even jack all the setting up and keep a good frame rate.. i don't mean just sliding it to ultra i mean turning the AA to supersampling and everything all the way up. to stay at 60 i have to turn the shadows off and put AA at the middle setting and turn the ground clutter/radius down. just so you know i'm running a i7-930 # 4.4ghz with 6 gigs of ram oc a tad over 1600 and i have the new ati drivers which increased crossfire performance. it looks great with those settings but man i should be able to run everything jacked up, but this is still beta.
    i have only 1 HD5870 and same CPU and 1600mhz ram too. Running everything max exept anisotropy which i have a 4x as there is no visual difference if u put more and a 1600x900 resolution (20" screen) getting lowest 25 highest 55. Permanently over 60fps is i disable MSAA. Ground clutter density over 8 (out of 20) doesnt have any visual difference either...

Centrainly Xfire profiles are lacking right now but as ur saying its beta.

I agree with Anakha's post.

And finally: to the creator of this thread: any GTX460,470, 560, 570 will run the game good. As always the more u pay the smoother it will run.
    Last edited by Kaynar; 02-22-2011 at 05:52 AM.

The FAQ says that the recommended system specifications are:
    Operating system: Windows XP, Vista, or 7
    Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or better
    Memory: 4 GB
    Hard disk space: 15.0 GB available
    Desktop Video: Nvidia GTS 250 or better
    Notebook Video: Nvidia GTX 200M series or better
    Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
    DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
    Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem, or other high speed connection)

I wonder if it means that you can run the game on Ultra with GTS 250, or for this you need a better card.
    You can compare nVidia cards by clicking on them here:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/HelpMe...asp?lang=en-us

If you change your Graphics card, Don't forget to make sure that your PSU (Power supply unit) can handle it. E.g. The GTS 250 needs at least 450W, so if your PSU is only 300W, you would need to replace it as well.

+ Reply to Thread