+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My first gaming rig

Telaran

Default My first gaming rig

So I've decided to build a good rig over the next couple of months that will allow me to play this game with awesome FPS at a good quality of graphics. My biggest concern is not breaking the bank, and I hope to buy all my hardware from tigerdirect.ca as i'm in Canada.

please tell me what I should change

Motherboard: I HAVE NO CLUE YET

CPU: i7 950 or Phenon II 1100T Black?

Ram: 8gigs

Harddrive:http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...939&CatId=2459

Windows 7 Professional

Case: Looking for cosmetics mostly http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...339&CatId=1845

Video Card: I have a AMD HD 5670 that I hope to use for a while
    Power Supply: 600w Corsair PSU I already own

Let me know what I can change, remember I'm trying to make this cost effective but last a while because it will be my desktop for University (:

Thanks

Everyone has thier own opinions on what is good and what isnt, so instead of commenting on that I'll suggest checking www.memoryexpress.com if you are located in Canada. I have spent in excess of 10g's with these guys over the past 6 years and have never been lead astray. Send them an e-mail with requirements for the game and a budget and see what they can put together for you. the e-mail goes to the main store located in Calgary and all of the guys who work the counter and respond to them are gamers like ourselves. They get it and are quite personable.
    Good luck!
    I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain, somehow I'm still here to explain that the darkest hour never comes in the night...

Rift Disciple

You may want to wait a buit until SandyBridge hits the market again.

ASlo, if you go with the i7 950, it uses tripple channel memory. So a 2x3 (6GBkit) would be plenty.

4-6GB is all youll really need for the most part, UNLESS, you use a lot of 64bit applications that can really make use of all the extra RAM, or run alot of VMs.
    Otherwise, more is not needed and a waste of money. Only you can decide which category you fall into.

Personally, Id go with a SB when they come back out, or a core i5/i7.
    The 1366 will use Tripple Channel Memery, the 1155/1156 use Dual channel. So thes e2 you can get something like 2x2kit of RAM.

One other thing you may consider, is going with Win7 x64 Home Premium. its cheaper, and has everything the large majority will ever need.
    However, this may not be the case for you.

Have a look here to see the differences:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...oducts/compare

And HP can run applications in XP compatability mode.
    XP Mode is a different, and typically for buisinesses.
    Last edited by CenturyChild; 02-21-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    System Specs:
    MOBO: DFI DK x48
    CPU/RAM: Intel Q9650 @ 3.6 -- 8GB G-Skill Pi 1066 (4x2GB)
    Audio: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (5.1 Speaker setup)
    GPU: Sapphire HD4890 Toxic
    Power: Corsair 650W PSU
    Case: Antec 900
    HDs: Intel 40GB SSDx2 -- 1TB & 640GB WD Black Ed.Spinners
    Display: LG-2453 @ 1920x1080

Quote Originally Posted by Stratus225 View Post
    Everyone has thier own opinions on what is good and what isnt, so instead of commenting on that I'll suggest checking www.memoryexpress.com if you are located in Canada. I have spent in excess of 10g's with these guys over the past 6 years and have never been lead astray. Send them an e-mail with requirements for the game and a budget and see what they can put together for you. the e-mail goes to the main store located in Calgary and all of the guys who work the counter and respond to them are gamers like ourselves. They get it and are quite personable.
    Good luck!
    You need to match all parts to get a good system. Your processor needs correct motherboard, memory need to match motherboard specs, video cards need to be supported by your motherboard ie xfire mode, get a large heat sink for the cpu, buy largeer case to fit it in, buy extra fans for coling the heat sink and the case and get adequate power supply to support it all. You can buld a dream system for about $1000.00 that you have to bleed 2k at the retail store. it is not a hard task to do. I built mine from scratch first time within 1 hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Alenny View Post
    You need to match all parts to get a good system. Your processor needs correct motherboard, memory need to match motherboard specs, video cards need to be supported by your motherboard ie xfire mode, get a large heat sink for the cpu, buy largeer case to fit it in, buy extra fans for coling the heat sink and the case and get adequate power supply to support it all. You can buld a dream system for about $1000.00 that you have to bleed 2k at the retail store. it is not a hard task to do. I built mine from scratch first time within 1 hour.

That was my point about mem express. They have retail outlets but act more of a wholesale outfit. They actually only opened retail outlets to appease thier on-line consumers. Thier prices per item are comparable with Tiger but the knowledge and service behind them is something you cant put a price on. You can have them build the system for you, or suggest adds/deletes from what you think would work. Both mine and my wifes rigs have been fantastic and all we've had to do is upgrade the the vid cards and the memory once in a while. I was just saying it doesnt hurt to get second opinions and proffesional advise before investing a ton of dough into a rig.
    I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain, somehow I'm still here to explain that the darkest hour never comes in the night...

Telaran

So what should I be looking at for Mobo and CPU? I want to get this show on the road and order the case this week. Help! Remember I want this to still be budget rig, but decent.

Telaran

For a Budget build, I would go with AMD.

Intel will generally perform better, clock for clock, but is also more expensive.

And to be honest, most modern CPUs, AMD or Intel, will be fine for gaming.
    So the processing advantage Intel does have, is not really much of a gain for gaming.

Which one is best for your personal needs comes down to 2 things.
    1) Budget
    2) What you intend to do with the PC

General Use & Gaming, my advice would be go with AMD. Its cheaper, and there will not really be a noticable difference..

If you do alot of CPU intensive tasks, and have a higher budget, a Intel build may be worth the extra cost to you.
    Because in this scenario, the extra processing power will be quite useful.

Having said that, take alook at this combo at NewEgg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.548058

$324

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor (Model: HDZ955FBGMBOX)
    GIGABYTE AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX Motherboard (Model: GA-880GMA-UD2H)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (Model: F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL)
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (Model: ST31000528AS)

All you need to do is add a case, and a Graphics card. And remember, for gaming this will be the biggest factor to determine performance.

Granted, its not the latest & greatest but ...
    You said decent on a budget.
    For the price, that will make a nice Budget oriented machine IMHO.
    Last edited by ArchEnemy; 02-21-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by ArchEnemy View Post
    For a Budget build, I would go with AMD.

Intel will generally perform better, clock for clock, but is also more expensive.

And to be honest, most modern CPUs, AMD or Intel, will be fine for gaming.
    So the processing advantage Intel does have, is not really much of a gain for gaming.

Which one is best for your personal needs comes down to 2 things.
    1) Budget
    2) What you intend to do with the PC

General Use & Gaming, my advice would be go with AMD. Its cheaper, and there will not really be a noticable difference..

If you do alot of CPU intensive tasks, and have a higher budget, a Intel build may be worth the extra cost to you.
    Because in this scenario, the extra processing power will be quite useful.

Having said that, take alook at this combo at NewEgg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.548058

$324

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor (Model: HDZ955FBGMBOX)
    GIGABYTE AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX Motherboard (Model: GA-880GMA-UD2H)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (Model: F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL)
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (Model: ST31000528AS)

All you need to do is add a case, and a Graphics card. And remember, for gaming this will be the biggest factor to determine performance.

Granted, its not the latest & greatest but ...
    You said decent on a budget.
    For the price, that will make a nice Budget oriented machine IMHO.

Thanks a ton, PM'd you!

You don't need 8 gigs, like, 6 is all you would need.

Get an SSD if you can too, big difference there.

Soulwalker

Heres the exact build I will be buying soon specifically for this game and sc2. Cant get much better then this for the price.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...itled-1533.jpg

Soulwalker

Cool Graphics card...

Quote Originally Posted by kydon1328 View Post
    Thanks a ton, PM'd you!

I, personally, would suggest an Nvidia graphics card.

Best Buy or some other local retailer (if one is accessible) should have a pretty decent one at a fair price.

I'm running an 8600GT on an older HP Pavilion Mediacenter and it works fine (the game (beta) tells me that there's some sort of problem, but it works fine).

Although, there's a site where you can build pretty much whatever you want (ibuypower.com located in southern California) at a reasonable price.

I have a system built by them where I went through the configurator and selected the specs and it's a rocket!!! I had ordered it with an ATI graphics card, but ATI doesn't keep up with the drivers as Nvidia does.

I'm sure there's a cost effective solution there for you if you choose to go that route.

Here's the specs on the one I bought Aug. '09:

Case PSI CycloneX Gaming Tower Case - Silver/Black
    Processor [== Quad Core ==] AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology - AM3 & AM2+ support
    Motherboard [CrossFire] Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P -- AMD 790X CrossFire Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-E MB
    Memory 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand

(Video Card ATI Radeon HD 4850 – 1GB - Single Card)....REPLACED THIS WITH NVIDIA CARD

Case Lighting Cold Cathode Neon Light - Blue
    Power Supply 700 Watt -- Power Supply - SLI Ready
    Processor Cooling AVC Silent AMD CPU Fan and Heatsink - Quiet & Overclocking Proof
    Hard Drive 500 GB HARD DRIVE - [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]
    Optical Drive [** Special !!! ***] LG 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
    Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
    Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
    External Wireless Network Adapter Zonet ZEW2545 802.11n 130Mbps Wireless USB Adapter
    Monitor 19" Widescreen TFT LCD Monitor - Black
    Keyboard iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard with 18 Internet Hot /Multimedia Keys - Black
    Mouse iBUYPOWER 1600 dpi High Sensitivity Internet Mouse - Black
    Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) - 64-Bit
    Warranty Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support
    Rush Service Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - [RUSH !!!], Ship Out in Next Business Day
    Advanced Build Options iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System - Protect your investment during transportation!
    Advanced Build Options Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound - The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks
    Advanced Build Options Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis
    Headset SteelSeries 5H v2 USB Gaming Headset - 7.1 virtual surround

At $1,413.00 at the time before taxes and shipping.

Granted, I picked up a lot of stuff I didn't REALLY NEED, but, can't complain about it's screaming capabilities...lol.

You could probably get the same system for a bit less now!!!

Either way, I wish you best of luck in getting more beef for your money whatever your budget is and hope you enjoy playing this game as much as I do!!!
    Last edited by Norseman; 02-21-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: left out key words

Soulwalker

Default nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Castaris View Post
    Heres the exact build I will be buying soon specifically for this game and sc2. Cant get much better then this for the price.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...itled-1533.jpg
    Very nice for the price!!!

Costs have come waaaay down!

Telaran

I too would agree a SSD makes a huge performance increase.
    In fact, it is the one single component you can upgrade where the performance increase is quite noticeable immediately.

However, being a budget build, fitting an SSD in will be difficult, at least initially.

Since a SSD will do nothing for a Games performance, I would suggest upgrading to a more powerful GPU before looking to the HDs.

Considering this is what will impact your 3D gaming performance the most.

+ Reply to Thread