+ Reply to Thread

Thread: does 1GB memory make a difference in FPS?

Default does 1GB memory make a difference in FPS?

During Beta 7 I was getting about 20 to 30 fps on High, and in the city I would get 6 to 7 fps. My PC meets the recommended requirements except for two:

My video card is Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
    I have 3GB of memory instead of 4.

I compared the specifications for my card and the recommended GTS 250 and they appear to be almost identical so I don't think the issue is with that. Someone else in game told me he also had a 9800 GTX+ and was getting 70fps but I can't be certain of the accuracy of his information..

The rest of my PC consists of Windows 7 64 bit and AMD Phenom 9600 quad core 2.3ghz.

The only other thing I can think of is the memory. If the game is memory intensive, maybe faster and/or more memory might speed up the fps?

It should make a difference albeit not a huge one. When I play rift I am over 3gb of usage. Since you have 64bit, I will go with 4.

Plane Touched

Pretty sure that CPU and RAM limit your FPS more then your GFX card. Doubt it exceeds PCI-E 1.1 even tho it's PCI-E 2.0. But if it does the PCI-E slot on your motherboard could also be an factor in all of this.

Soulwalker

I would agrue that your gfx card is a little on the low end for the game. But i would certainly get at least 4 GB mem.

Rift Disciple

RAM will never boon your performance (with the exception of higher frequency/latency stuff which makes a minor difference, but nothing drastic). If you have sufficient RAM + enough of a buffer for when memory usage peaks, you're good to go. The rest is in your GPU/CPU to handle. Last thing you want is to be using your paging file to load up game files.

That said with your current settings, I'd suggest loading up the game in the situations where you do lag and the situations where you don't lag, and compare the RAM usage to see if its spiking as the other poster mentioned.

Obviously some servers vary in player population, if the towns were dense in character models that could be why. Are your settings maxed? Because you can very easily spend about 30 minutes playing with them to see what makes a difference and what doesn't in terms of pretty-factor but makes drastic influences on FPS. I have a 5850 and I was playing with everything maxed, but recently played with the bloom options (the shrubbery that's rendered on the ground just about everywhere) and bought myself 10~ extra fps without really seeing any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dratikus View Post
    During Beta 7 I was getting about 20 to 30 fps on High, and in the city I would get 6 to 7 fps. My PC meets the recommended requirements except for two:

My video card is Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
    I have 3GB of memory instead of 4.

I compared the specifications for my card and the recommended GTS 250 and they appear to be almost identical so I don't think the issue is with that. Someone else in game told me he also had a 9800 GTX+ and was getting 70fps but I can't be certain of the accuracy of his information..

The rest of my PC consists of Windows 7 64 bit and AMD Phenom 9600 quad core 2.3ghz.

The only other thing I can think of is the memory. If the game is memory intensive, maybe faster and/or more memory might speed up the fps?
    I have the 9800 GTX, 2G Ram @ MAX settings and I get 25-30 fps even in the city. I did turn off the spell candy.
    Oh GLOVE!!!!

+ Reply to Thread