+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrading computer -- Help plz

Rift Chaser

Default Upgrading computer -- Help plz

Currently; i have a:
    Cant figure out motherboard; but its stock HP one.
    Athlon II x2 250 3.0ghz dual core
    4gb ddr3
    Nvi Ge 460

I run maybe 50 FPS on ultra (only environment shadows; no AA) at 1360x760; Which drops to like 30 in dungeons/warfronts.

Now; I have like 300$ to spend; given my current understand of things i understand this
    1) The game is built to run more cores the better; it divides the processes up.
    2) I havent seen the game go past 4gb ram usage on 64b windows 7.

So, a few questions

1) Is there a way to find out my exact model for motherboard, to see if its bottlenecking me? (i got cpu-z, and it tells me maker/model, but no exact NUMBERS so i can look it up, just says pegatron corp narra6)
    **the ID #s on the board are faded :/**

2) I could upgrade to a say AMD phenom ii X4 3.2ghz (840/855) However, the 840 doesnt seem to have L3 cache, and the 855 does. Would i see a decent increase in FPS you think if i simply upgraded to one of these? How much would L3 matter?

3) Would more ram help? I was thinking L3 would be better than getting more ram; so it can ACCESS the ram faster...

4) Would it be best to start with the motherboard, given its a base HP model motherboard, and go from there?

Any ideas/tips/info would be great

Thanks!
    Last edited by Malpractice; 02-21-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Malpractice View Post
    Currently; i have a:
    Cant figure out motherboard; but its stock HP one.
    Athlon II x2 250 3.0ghz dual core
    4gb ddr3
    Nvi Ge 460

I run maybe 50 FPS on ultra (only environment shadows; no AA) at 1360x760; Which drops to like 30 in dungeons/warfronts.

Now; I have like 300$ to spend; given my current understand of things i understand this
    1) The game is built to run more cores the better; it divides the processes up.
    2) I havent seen the game go past 4gb ram usage on 64b windows 7.

So, a few questions

1) Is there a way to find out my exact model for motherboard, to see if its bottlenecking me? (i got cpu-z, and it tells me maker/model, but no exact NUMBERS so i can look it up, just says pegatron corp narra6)
    **the ID #s on the board are faded :/**

2) I could upgrade to a say AMD phenom ii X4 3.2ghz (840/855) However, the 840 doesnt seem to have L3 cache, and the 855 does. Would i see a decent increase in FPS you think if i simply upgraded to one of these? How much would L3 matter?

3) Would more ram help? I was thinking L3 would be better than getting more ram; so it can ACCESS the ram faster...

Any ideas/tips/info would be great

Thanks!
    Get this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-455-_-Product

Then get an am3 processor..

Assuming that is the GTX460 gpu you have .. and 4gb ram.. all you really need is a newer cpu and you're good to roll..

Take my mobo advice and get a 1055T (unless you got more money) .. you should be good and well under 300 dollars

Consider overclocking the 1055T to like 3.0+ ghz then you have beastly new setup.. might want to get a new heat sink, but that is totally up to you..

Rift Disciple

More RAM, not for gaming.

Most games are 32bit applications. And a 32bit application can only uuse up to 2GB of address space (or memory)
    To make use of more RAM per application, that app needs to be a 64bit app.

At this point, there arent really any games going that route. So for now, and certainly for RIFT, more than 4GB of RAM will not help you in the least.
    More than 4GB is really only useful if have
    1)a 64bit OS
    2) and most importantly, 64 bit applications that can take advantage of it.

Rift only uses up to 2 cores. A Quad core CPU would be a nice overall upgrade, but may not give you the type of performance in the game your hoping for.
    It is more GPU bound, than CPU.
    I would not worry about it with that setup. Especially with an OEM MOBO. I would suggest looking into a better GPU instead.

Go to HPs website, and look at the specifications for your PC. There should be a section for MOBO specs that will tell you all you need to know.
    You should only need to put in the Model Number of the PC.

*** Be aware:
    New motherboard will require a new copy of Windows.
    I would agree a more powerful GPU would help performance of any game, but it will quite likely require a better Power Supply. Stock PSUs, on Pre-Builts are usully not that good.
    Last edited by CenturyChild; 02-21-2011 at 11:40 AM.
    System Specs:
    MOBO: DFI DK x48
    CPU/RAM: Intel Q9650 @ 3.6 -- 8GB G-Skill Pi 1066 (4x2GB)
    Audio: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (5.1 Speaker setup)
    GPU: Sapphire HD4890 Toxic
    Power: Corsair 650W PSU
    Case: Antec 900
    HDs: Intel 40GB SSDx2 -- 1TB & 640GB WD Black Ed.Spinners
    Display: LG-2453 @ 1920x1080

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by nick2412 View Post
    Get this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-455-_-Product

Then get an am3 processor..

Assuming that is the GTX460 gpu you have .. and 4gb ram.. all you really need is a newer cpu and you're good to roll..

Take my mobo advice and get a 1055T (unless you got more money) .. you should be good and well under 300 dollars

Consider overclocking the 1055T to like 3.0+ ghz then you have beastly new setup.. might want to get a new heat sink, but that is totally up to you..
    The model you linked is 760G; not the 1055T... >.<
    Micro doesnt matter?
    And it has good enough heat sinks on it stock to handle the rest of my stuff w/o overclocking, rite?

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Malpractice View Post
    The model you linked is 760G; not the 1055T... >.<
    Micro doesnt matter?
    And it has good enough heat sinks on it stock to handle the rest of my stuff w/o overclocking, rite?
    .... I linked a mother board

Go look up the 1055T for yourself.. Well the 1055T has a stock heatsink, but if you were to go that route I wouldn't OC.. 2.8ghz hexacore is already pretty fast.. paired with a GTX460 you should be good to roll..

Rift Disciple

If your just going to build a new PC, MOBO/RAM/CPU

Depending on budget ..

Why not go with something like a Intel Quad 2.8Ghz i5, which outperforms the AMD x6, even in multithreaded apps although its a Quad Core.
    Look at some benchmarks youll see. And for apps that only use 1 or 2 core is much faster. 2.8Ghz was = to the x6 running at 4.0Ghz in this scenario.

Its only about $20 more, and the better value.
    Last edited by CenturyChild; 02-21-2011 at 11:54 AM.
    System Specs:

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by CenturyChild View Post
    If your just going to build a new PC, MOBO/RAM/CPU

Depending on budget ..

Why not go with something like a Intel Quad 2.8Ghz i5, which outperforms the AMD x6, even in multithreaded apps although its a Quad Core.
    Look at some benchmarks youll see. And for apps that only use 1 or 2 core is much faster. 2.8Ghz was = to the x6 running at 4.0Ghz in this scenario.

Its only about $20 more, and the better value.
    I hope you're talking about the sandy bridge i5s because the original i5s were terrible..
    If the OP can afford ~+70 more dollars for a sandy bridge mobo than by all means get the sandy bridge i5s.. but if he can't.. 1055T is the way to go..

Also you must be high 2.8ghz quad core is not equivalent to 4.0ghz hexa core..

Also

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Rift Disciple

You're right Nick.
    I just realized the benchmarks I was refering to was the SB. I do apologize for the misinformation.
    Bah Im getting old, and memory failing me.

However, I still think the i5 760 is the better value.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/a...55t-reviewed/6

In Video encoding, which is very CPU & multithreaded heavy, it wins some and looses some VS the hexacore. But the difference is not very much.
    Its also 2 cores short, being a quad.

Also, the CPU in these tests is the i5 750. The 760 is a bit faster which will make up a bit of difference.

In any app thats using a single or 2 threads, the Intel would be faster, as the x6 looses its advantage of multiple cores.

Dont get me wrong, Im not a fanboi of either Intel nor AMD.
    Im a fan of performance VS Price. And at only $20 more, the 760 seems to be the better choice, although I know many will disagree.

Because, very few apps take advantage of 4 or more cores at this time.
    In which case, faster is more of a benefit. And when a quad is capable of hanging with a Hexacore in apps that usee all of those cores, thats saying something I think.

Then again,to be fair, everyone said that about Dual VS Quad 3 years ago. And now here we are where Quads are becoming common place.

Anyway, just my opinion on the matter. But the reality is, either would be a good build.
    Last edited by CenturyChild; 02-21-2011 at 12:20 PM.
    System Specs:

+ Reply to Thread