+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: My system setup and running this game.

  1. #1
    Telaran eXiilez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    94

    Default My system setup and running this game.

    What I am about to ask has probably been answered a few times. Not too sure. So, apologies. Now I just want to set things straight here.

    My specs are

    Intel i7 930 CPU 2.88 GHz
    Corsair Dominator GT 6GB DDR3
    Nvidia EVGA 480 GTX 1536 MB
    Corsair AX1200 Power Supply
    Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)

    Now, to set things straight. I can run this game on ultra settings fine but AA and Shadows needs to be turned off or I experience some fps lag. Now is it just a bug that for some people who have the same card run everything max and run with good fps and some don't. Or should I just buy myself a 580. Just don't want to go out of my way to buy a card for no reason.
    Last edited by eXiilez; 02-14-2011 at 06:22 PM.

  2. #2
    Champion of Telara Ulfhedjinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    Pretty much "working as intended" as far as Rift is concerned, at least in its current state.

    It may simply be that there is more optimisation to come but shadows and anti-aliasing seriously dent your system, though I've found my HD 5850 can handle one being on at a time since the Saturday night patch of Beta 6 as it seems to have improved anti-aliasing performance somewhat. But I still run with shadows off.

    Your system is great, I wouldn't change a thing. I don't think it'd make a difference if you did.
    Last edited by Ulfhedjinn; 02-14-2011 at 06:25 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

  3. #3
    Telaran eXiilez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
    Pretty much "working as intended" as far as Rift is concerned, at least in its current state.

    It may simply be that there is more optimisation to come but shadows and anti-aliasing seriously dent your system, though I've found my HD 5850 can handle one being on at a time since the Saturday night patch of Beta 6 as it seems to have improved anti-aliasing performance somewhat. But I still run with shadows off.

    Your system is great, I wouldn't change a thing. I don't think it'd make a difference if you did.
    So, it could just be the beta that may cause fps issues. Running at ultra settings, AA off and Shadows off I would get around 60fps. With AA on and Shadows on my fps will drop down to 15-20.

  4. #4
    Plane Touched toblaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    250

    Default

    its not your system its the optimization on the game that needs to get done. people need to stop crying about housing mod support and secondary issues. they need to let the devs work on stabilizing and optimizing the game engine so the game runs smoothly for everyone first.then sweat the little stuff.

  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I have an e6800 with 4gb ram and 2 8800gt in sli and I'm literally getting the same fps as you with the same settings except ground clutter and density is turned down a bit(see below). My resolution is 1680 x 1050 though, higher resolutions will work the cards harder so if you're running at 1900 x 1200 or higher I wouldn't be too upset about the fps.

    Ground clutter is a HUGE hit to fps since every little effing instance of it seems to be AA'd and AF'd. Turn down the ground clutter density and radius and you should be getting a better framerate with both AA and Shadows.

  6. #6
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default

    i have the following & I cant run at max... a little above ultra is all i can manage keeping a decent framerate...

    i7 2600k (Sandybridge)
    8gb ram
    GTX 580
    WD Black HDD
    Dell u 2711 monitor (2560 x 1440) - which is probably my problem...

    im *hoping* they optimise the game cuz there is no reason at all i shouldnt be able to max it out!
    Last edited by camel_racer; 02-15-2011 at 12:47 AM.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple SoltanGris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas Gulf Coast,
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eXiilez View Post
    What I am about to ask has probably been answered a few times. Not too sure. So, apologies. Now I just want to set things straight here.

    My specs are

    Intel i7 930 CPU 2.88 GHz
    Corsair Dominator GT 6GB DDR3
    Nvidia EVGA 480 GTX 1536 MB
    Corsair AX1200 Power Supply
    Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)

    Now, to set things straight. I can run this game on ultra settings fine but AA and Shadows needs to be turned off or I experience some fps lag. Now is it just a bug that for some people who have the same card run everything max and run with good fps and some don't. Or should I just buy myself a 580. Just don't want to go out of my way to buy a card for no reason.
    Pretty much normal. AA is a definite no no on this game.
    I run with shadows on with little issue in non rift events but it does drop the frame rate significantly.
    In big rifts I turn shadows off and am happier. They need to hotkey that setting so it can be easily toggled.

    I have similar experience and my system is just a tad less powerful than yours.
    By the way I've been sitting on my hands for two weeks thinking of pulling the trigger on a GTX580.
    It is the only card from Nvidia of late that I would consider a worthwhile performance upgrade
    for MY system which has a GTX 285.
    IF I had a GTX 480 I'd be very much far less inclined. There is not that much bloddy difference between'
    yours and the 580. THis game is CPU sensitive.
    HOwever I did not notice you mentioning what screen rez you use. If it is higher than 1920x1200
    then I'd have to say go ahead and upgrade or go SLI another 480.

    ' IF your safe with overclocking a bit on that cpu you could try that.
    Could try playing at high too.
    ]
    Windows 7 64bit, Mobo: Abit IP-35 Pro, CPU: Intel Core 2 E8500 OC@3.60hz, RAM 4GB, GPU: Nvidia GTX 580: (Pre 03/2011 was GTX 285, Driver 197.45)
    Sound: Realtek, Monitor LG 24 inch Dell U2410 at 1920x1280, Mouse: Logitech G5 with v4.80 64 bit Setpoint drivers.
    Keyboard: Logitech G15

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple SoltanGris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas Gulf Coast,
    Posts
    122

    Default Vast improvements

    Quote Originally Posted by camel_racer View Post
    i have the following & I cant run at max... a little above ultra is all i can manage keeping a decent framerate...


    Dell u 2711 monitor (2560 x 1440) - which is probably my problem...

    im *hoping* they optimise the game cuz there is no reason at all i shouldnt be able to max it out!
    Could be , one would THINK. HOwever....

    During the last two beta's I tried to improve frame-rates by dropping the game resolution on my system.
    I took it in steps down to around the absurd to 1024x768 (remember those days when that was high reszx ?)
    I saw no meaningful difference in frame rates when I did that.
    That is on the system listed below in my sig.'

    I run with high sometimes ultra, shadows on, aa off, but shadows off if a big rift is involved.
    TOlerable fps but just barely.
    Windows 7 64bit, Mobo: Abit IP-35 Pro, CPU: Intel Core 2 E8500 OC@3.60hz, RAM 4GB, GPU: Nvidia GTX 580: (Pre 03/2011 was GTX 285, Driver 197.45)
    Sound: Realtek, Monitor LG 24 inch Dell U2410 at 1920x1280, Mouse: Logitech G5 with v4.80 64 bit Setpoint drivers.
    Keyboard: Logitech G15

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    194

    Default

    I loved the beta but its a bit of a joke on how well it runs compared to how it looks.

  10. #10
    Telaran eXiilez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Yeah I am running 1920x1200 26.5" monitor. So maybe I need to go SLI to be able to run AA and Shadows to it's full potential.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts