+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: How well would this run Rift?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5

    Default How well would this run Rift?

    502D3 Athlon II X2 250(3.0GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB HDD Capacity Dedicated ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics (512MB) Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    for the price of $414.00 with a mouse and keyboard doesnt seem bad to me. opinions?

  2. #2
    RIFT Community Ambassador
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pickle1919 View Post
    502D3 Athlon II X2 250(3.0GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB HDD Capacity Dedicated ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics (512MB) Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    for the price of $414.00 with a mouse and keyboard doesnt seem bad to me. opinions?
    video card upgrade. should have 1GB video card memory imo.

    but for the price it look ok.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

  3. #3
    Plane Walker Anakha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    447

    Default

    For general computing yes that is fine. However for gaming the graphics will be lacking and you may wish to move to a quad core.
    Last edited by Anakha; 02-13-2011 at 06:52 PM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

    GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

    Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pickle1919 View Post
    How well would this run Rift?
    Very poorly IMO, let down primarily by the very low end GPU.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    video card upgrade. should have 1GB video card memory imo.

    but for the price it look ok.
    Now what would be the problem with that, maybe a little choppiness? or what? (sorry, im not the tetchiest person alive.. lol)

  6. #6
    Champion of Telara Ulfhedjinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    I echo the sentiment about the graphics card, you'd be doing yourself a favour if you could stretch to a 5770/5850 or their Nvidia equivalents. I'd also like to echo the sentiment about quad core CPUs, this game gives my dual core a hard time and my framerate suffers noticeably because of it.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
    I echo the sentiment about the graphics card, you'd be doing yourself a favour if you could stretch to a 5770/5850 or their Nvidia equivalents. I'd also like to echo the sentiment about quad core CPUs, this game gives my dual core a hard time and my framerate suffers noticeably because of it.
    thanks man, i appreciate that. what fps do you usually run at?

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pickle1919 View Post
    502D3 Athlon II X2 250(3.0GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB HDD Capacity Dedicated ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics (512MB) Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    for the price of $414.00 with a mouse and keyboard doesnt seem bad to me. opinions?
    If you spend around $800 you would have a better system them most on this forum. Quad Core I5, MB, 4 Gig Ram, GTX 460, Win 7







    ( Nevermind, your system is better then most on this forum )

  9. #9
    Plane Touched MochaFlux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    257

    Default

    The CPU is better than the dual cores that people have been having problems running the game with. That being said, if you can afford a better one it wouldn't hurt. If you had to choose between upgrading the graphics and the CPU definitely upgrade the graphics card first.

    If you need to buy a PC that's already built like that one, the price isn't too bad. However, you could do a lot better if you're willing to build it yourself.

    Edit: Oh, didn't see it comes with Windows 7. Yea, that's a pretty solid deal. But do realize that it doesn't leave too much room for upgrades. The power supply is pretty weak and the board doesn't have a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot, just a version 1 slot.
    Last edited by MochaFlux; 02-13-2011 at 07:11 PM.

  10. #10
    Champion of Telara Ulfhedjinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pickle1919 View Post
    thanks man, i appreciate that. what fps do you usually run at?
    I have a dual core E8400 @ 3Ghz and a HD 5850. The CPU is comparable to what you're looking at.

    The graphics card is fine, on ultra settings + anti-aliasing (without shadows) I get 30FPS out of rifts and rubbish FPS in rifts. From what I've seen and heard discussing with quad core users around here, I should expect 40-60 FPS if I upgraded my CPU. I was planning to get myself one of the new i5 CPUs, this game is just making me decide faster.

    Quote Originally Posted by MochaFlux View Post
    The CPU is better than the dual cores that people have been having problems running the game with.
    My E8400 is no slouch and I am even going to try overclocking it too come Tuesday to see how it affects my Rift performance. I didn't even realise I had a big problem until people with graphics cards similar to mine told me they were getting 40-60 FPS (and beyond), and the only difference was that they were using a Phenom II X4/X6 or an i5/i7 quad.
    Last edited by Ulfhedjinn; 02-13-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

  11. #11
    Champion rich1051414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pickle1919 View Post
    502D3 Athlon II X2 250(3.0GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB HDD Capacity Dedicated ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics (512MB) Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    for the price of $414.00 with a mouse and keyboard doesnt seem bad to me. opinions?
    To give you a breakdown on what radeons numbers mean, in your situation(5450), 5=Series/Generation, 4=Performance, 5=Features, 0=revision. With that said, that video card is not meant for gaming. Upgrade that to atleast a 5760, and youll be able to play just fine, anything higher than that, and everything will run like butter. i wouldnt get a very high end card, as youll het a bottleneck pretty soon with your processor, i recommend a 5770 for a painless swap over, only investing 100 bucks, and your be rift ready

    Updated; February 13, 2011; Nova Bench 3; Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate; AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3975 MHz; Graphics Card:Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5770 OC@960/1400
    Verified NovaBench Score: 1093
    Validated by CPU-Z

  12. #12
    Champion of Telara Ulfhedjinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rich1051414 View Post
    i wouldnt get a very high end card, as youll het a bottleneck pretty soon with your processor, i recommend a 5770 for a painless swap over, only investing 100 bucks, and your be rift ready
    I concur, a 5770 (or Nvidia equivalent) is about the sweet spot from what I have seen.

    I would advise him to consider going quad core as well though, if he can fit it in to his budget.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

  13. #13
    Champion rich1051414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
    I concur, a 5770 (or Nvidia equivalent) is about the sweet spot from what I have seen.

    I would advise him to consider going quad core as well though, if he can fit it in to his budget.
    since he is already running ati drivers and software, he wouldnt have to do anything, just shutdown, swap the cards, start up. can't beat that :P

    Updated; February 13, 2011; Nova Bench 3; Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate; AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3975 MHz; Graphics Card:Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5770 OC@960/1400
    Verified NovaBench Score: 1093
    Validated by CPU-Z

  14. #14
    Plane Touched MochaFlux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    257

    Default

    The board on the PC he is talking about doesn't have a PCIe 2.0 slot though, so I'm not sure how well the 5770 would work with it. Not sure how much, if any, it will impact the card's performance.

  15. #15
    Champion of Telara Ulfhedjinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rich1051414 View Post
    since he is already running ati drivers and software, he wouldnt have to do anything, just shutdown, swap the cards, start up. can't beat that :P
    I'm using an ATI card at the moment man, no need to worry. I just add the qualifier for the sake of fairness in case I get accused of fanboyism, since it seems to rampant around here sometimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by MochaFlux View Post
    The board on the PC he is talking about doesn't have a PCIe 2.0 slot though, so I'm not sure how well the 5770 would work with it. Not sure how much, if any, it will impact the card's performance.
    If the slot is 16x it won't have any problems with a 5770, there's no way it'll saturate the output of the slot.
    Last edited by Ulfhedjinn; 02-13-2011 at 07:29 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts