Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Multiple CPU core use?

Default Multiple CPU core use?

Hi,

I haven't played yet, but was wondering if RIFT uses or will benefit from multiple cores?

Thanks,

Plane Touched

Rift currently uses 2 cores. Playing on a Quad is still better then playing a Duel Core because your other programs can run alongside Rift without slowing it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Void425 View Post
    Rift currently uses 2 cores. Playing on a Quad is still better then playing a Duel Core because your other programs can run alongside Rift without slowing it down.
    Thank you, that is what I was wondering.

I'm afraid Void425 is mistaken.

There's a sticky somewhere that explains the way different functions in Rift are threaded, and my personal experience of running Rift on a dual core CPU is not a good one. My E8400 is at almost 100% CPU usage on both cores.

People on quad core systems tend to report 100% utilisation on their third core and the other three cores being shared quite equally with 20-40% usage on each core. Quad core users with a graphics card equal to my HD5850 tend to report double the frame-rates I get, even in large-scale Rift events.
    Last edited by Ulfhedjinn; 02-13-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

when my frame rate starts dipping, i noticed my cpu being utilized across all 4 cores, never reaching 100 on all cores, but let me know this game is indeed threaded very nicely. in this game, i have a feeling the more cores the better.

Updated; February 13, 2011; Nova Bench 3; Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate; AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3975 MHz; Graphics Card:Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5770 OC@960/1400
    Verified NovaBench Score: 1093
    Validated by CPU-Z

Quote Originally Posted by rich1051414 View Post
    when my frame rate starts dipping, i noticed my cpu being utilized across all 4 cores, never reaching 100 on all cores, but let me know this game is indeed threaded very nicely. in this game, i have a feeling the more cores the better.
    Yeah the sticky I referred to explained how some functions are directly offloaded on to different cores depending on demand, it even warned that you may sometimes be entirely CPU-bound depending on how your GPU compares.

This is definitely a game ready for the multi-core generation, it's been a long time coming.

Edit: I just went looking for that thread, but unfortunately I am pretty sure it was in the tech forum under the BETA section.
    Last edited by Ulfhedjinn; 02-13-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
    I'm afraid Void425 is mistaken.

There's a sticky somewhere that explains the way different functions in Rift are threaded, and my personal experience of running Rift on a dual core CPU is not a good one. My E8400 is at almost 100% CPU usage on both cores.

People on quad core systems tend to report 100% utilisation on their third core and the other three cores being shared quite equally with 20-40% usage on each core. Quad core users with a graphics card equal to my HD5850 tend to report double the frame-rates I get, even in large-scale Rift events.
    My Asus N53JF-XE1 dual core i5 2.53GHz no Over Clocking runs RIFT just as fast as my big desktop. The i5 2.53 GHz is a dual core laptop (NoteBook) I upgraded it to 8GB of SO-DIMM PC3-10666.It originally had 4GB of PC3-10666. I haven't had any lag issues using either the Desktop or the laptop.
    Last edited by Airwen; 02-13-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwen View Post
    My Asus N53JF-XE1 dual core i5 2.53GHz no Over Clocking runs RIFT just as fast as my big desktop. The i5 2.53 GHz is a dual core laptop (NoteBook) I upgraded it to 8GB of SO-DIMM PC3-10666.It originally had 4GB of PC3-10666. I haven't had any lag issues using either the Desktop or the laptop.
    You're comparing a dual-core to a dual-core.

I shouldn't complain about the performance I do get on my dual-core system, but people with comparable systems have showed me that I should expect roughly twice the framerate if I upgrade to a quad-core.

I had an i5 2500K upgrade in mind anyway, if I pull the trigger on one during the upcoming week you can bet I'll be benching both.
    Last edited by Ulfhedjinn; 02-13-2011 at 11:29 AM.

"MainThreadCPU = 3" to "MainThreadCPU = 0" fir example in rift.cfg.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Technical-FAQ

What about multi-core CPUs, multi-threading, processor affinity, etc?

The short answer is that there's little the player can do to affect this, so don't worry too much about it. Rift divides up the required work into many threads, for separate tasks like networking, audio, animation, particle effects, and rendering. If you have a multi-core CPU, these threads will be distributed across the cores and run in parallel. In a perfect world, the work could be split into an infinite number of threads, each with an equal amount of work to do, keeping all the cores working equally. In reality, the work is not infinitely parallelizable, and one primary thread does more work than the others. The CPU core running that thread will show closer to 100% utilization, while the other cores will show less.

The primary thread is bound to a CPU for a few reasons. There are bugs with some BIOSes and CPU drivers which cause timing values to be incorrect if a thread moves between CPUs. Another issue is Windows’ tendency to move threads between CPUs to balance the overall load. If a thread is not bound to a CPU it will look like more CPUs are being utilized, and thus more things are running in parallel. This is not actually the case. The thread is still running in serial, it is just being constantly moved between CPUs. While this will make things look more parallel in task manager, it is actually somewhat slower due to the additional processing required at the OS level to do the context switching. For CPUs where each core has its own cache, this can also incur unnecessary cache misses.

We do recognize that which core this thread runs on can have a significant impact on certain systems. The core the main thread is bound to is exposed in the rift.cfg file, as MainThreadCPU. Valid values are 1…numCPUs, or 0 to specify the thread can run on any CPU.
    Then there's the core parking tweak, might be worth giving it a try for some peeps. I use it, just makes sense.

There's extensive discussion all over the tech sites, but the link below had fairly concise instructions on the how to's.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1861804
    "It only applies to Windows 7 X64 and X32 and only in systems using more than 2 physicial CPU's and/or more than 2 "logical" cores - ie: Core i7 DAW's. "
    In short, here is the better method from sky60234:-

- Go to Regedit

- Find this key:- " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "

- Within this key, there is a value called: " ValueMax "

- This value represents the % number of cores the system will park - the default 100% ie: all Cores are potentially park-able

- Change the value from 64 to 0 so the " ValueMin " and " ValueMax " are both zero

- You will have to find the key a few times and repeat the process for each time it is found - the number of instances will depend on the number of power profiles in your system [ in my DAW it was only found twice ]

- Do a full shutdown and power-off and cold-re-start
    Last edited by Kuldebar; 02-13-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Thank you! This is exactly the post I've been referring to, but I couldn't find my way back to the beta forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
    You're comparing a dual-core to a dual-core.

I shouldn't complain about the performance I do get on my dual-core system, but people with comparable systems have showed me that I should expect roughly twice the framerate if I upgrade to a quad-core.

I had an i5 2500K upgrade in mind anyway, if I pull the trigger on one during the upcoming week you can bet I'll be benching both.
    It is hard to compare a dual core to a quad core it is obvious most quad core systems will run faster than a dual core.
    If you are going to go Quad then naturally you will get a lot more performance out of it for RIFT. However, I do travel and like to take my games with me. It would be hard to travel with my Storm Scout i930 Quad. The N53JF fits in my laptop backpack a lot better LOL!

Also be aware the Windows 7 will make use of all 4 of your quad core cpu even if your game does not. Which is great for performance. No cores just sitting around idle. All 4 of my cores are in use constantly on my system. And with the game making use of 2 them, that leaves the other 2 for system use. Which works out great, at least on my system it does.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........
    ..........Insert pic................This line for specs of my computer that no one cares about.
    ..........of some
    ..........effeminate..............This line for insightful quote from some dead guy here.
    ..........Korean
    ..........avatar.....................Now some comment from me that I think is witty.
    ..........here
    AND LAST OF ALL, SOME LINE IN BOLD CAPS TELLING HOW BAD I THINK I AM AND HOW YOU'RE NOT

Quote Originally Posted by Airwen View Post
    It is hard to compare a dual core to a quad core it is obvious most quad core systems will run faster than a dual core.
    If you are going to go Quad then naturally you will get a lot more performance out of it for RIFT. However, I do travel and like to take my games with me. It would be hard to travel with my Storm Scout i930 Quad. The N53JF fits in my laptop backpack a lot better LOL!
    But this thead is about how Rift compares on dual core and quad core systems, is it not?

Just thought I'd mention that a link to the 3rd interview with Cryptic Devs on their RIFT facebook page, Scott says the game does indeed make use of all multi core CPU's. woot
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........
    ..........Insert pic................This line for specs of my computer that no one cares about.
    ..........of some
    ..........effeminate..............This line for insightful quote from some dead guy here.
    ..........Korean
    ..........avatar.....................Now some comment from me that I think is witty.
    ..........here
    AND LAST OF ALL, SOME LINE IN BOLD CAPS TELLING HOW BAD I THINK I AM AND HOW YOU'RE NOT

/retract

/10 char
    Last edited by Mugze; 02-14-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast