+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This computer any good?

Default This computer any good?

i was checking out some PC's on newegg, and i found this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883108458

would it work for gaming if i changed the graphics card to something that doesnt suck? Also, suggestions on video card to put in?

EDIT: also, if it matters, not looking to play on all ultra, just want some decent fps on maybe medium.
    Last edited by Topown; 02-12-2011 at 06:10 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Topown View Post
    i was checking out some PC's on newegg, and i found this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883108458

would it work for gaming if i changed the graphics card to something that doesnt suck? Also, suggestions on video card to put in?

EDIT: also, if it matters, not looking to play on all ultra, just want some decent fps on maybe medium.
    having a budget posted for amount intended to spend on the card helps ppl look in the right direction.
    also that thing doesnt really specify the internal slots it has available. im going to guess that it probably has 1 pci express slot.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Amazon.com is your friend. My last build I bought *all* of my components and software through them in a little over a month. Once I had all of the components I went to a local computer store and worked out a deal with the owner to put it all together for me as I am not a techno geek by any means.

1. Make a budget. Set a maximum amount you want to spend and stick to it. This is the #1 reason why people spend too much on a new computer. If you're made of money, fine, but most people aren't.

2. Write down what specs you want. Research. Talk to people. Read hardware reviews. Tom's Hardware is a great resource for component reviews. They have a solid reputation for testing. Newegg is also a good site to read customer reviews and feedback.

3. After you figure out your budget and what specs you'd like to have in your new rig, it's time to find out how much the real cost is going to be. Amazon.com is by far the easiest place to look around because of all the vendors being in one place.

4. Stick to quality merchandise with solid warranties and 4-5 star ratings with 100+ reviews. It's your money and it's an investment you're going to be making. No reason to settle for crappy components.

I hope this information helps you!
    Last edited by Kernel Cinders; 02-12-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    having a budget posted for amount intended to spend on the card helps ppl look in the right direction.
    also that thing doesnt really specify the internal slots it has available. im going to guess that it probably has 1 pci express slot.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageG...ium%2064%20bit

According to the pics that guess would be correct..
    Last edited by Anakha; 02-12-2011 at 06:46 PM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Single GPU's are fine and definitely better on the budget. Generally buy the best GPU you can afford and that your PC (mobo/power supply) can handle.

For myself, I refuse to embrace SLI or Crossfire GPU setups, overly complicated, prone to have issues with games and costly overall. I suspect it's a great way to sell hardware units though.

+ Reply to Thread