+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Laptop question.

Soulwalker

Default Laptop question.

Well, first off I know this is my first post and yes I'm aware there is a search function but I have a rather specific question. I'm also aware that the majority of laptops aren't meant for gaming but I need something new that is also portable to suit my needs. Anyway, I'm looking at getting a new laptop so I can play RIFT (would be fine running it on medium/low settings). I abandoned MMO's awhile ago but this game looks like my dream come true, takes a lot of what I love from WAR, WoW, and Aion and combines it into a shiny unique package.

Anyway, back to my question, I'm looking at buying either of these two laptops for around $650 (I'm on a budget, can't spend more than that really). Which do you think would run the game better? I'm not sure if the Dell or the Alienware has the better GPU, I like the Alienware and at that price it's a killer deal but the CPU and small screen worries me if I'm going to be using it a lot.

Dell Inspiron 15R - $649

4GB DDR3 Shared Dual Channel Memory + 500GB 5400RPM HDD
    ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD550v, 64-Bit, 1GB, DDR3
    2010 Intel® Core™ i3-370M (2.4GHz, 4Threads, 3M cache)
    15.6" High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™

Alienware M11x - $659
    4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz
    160GB SATAII 5,400RPM
    Overclockable Intel® Core™2 Duo SU7300 1.3GHz (3MB Cache)
    1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 335M
    11.6-inch WideHD 1366x768 (720p) WLED

Any help is greatly appreciated, or if you have suggestions for laptops around that price that might be better let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Aternal View Post
    Well, first off I know this is my first post and yes I'm aware there is a search function but I have a rather specific question. I'm also aware that the majority of laptops aren't meant for gaming but I need something new that is also portable to suit my needs. Anyway, I'm looking at getting a new laptop so I can play RIFT (would be fine running it on medium/low settings). I abandoned MMO's awhile ago but this game looks like my dream come true, takes a lot of what I love from WAR, WoW, and Aion and combines it into a shiny unique package.

Anyway, back to my question, I'm looking at buying either of these two laptops for around $650 (I'm on a budget, can't spend more than that really). Which do you think would run the game better? I'm not sure if the Dell or the Alienware has the better GPU, I like the Alienware and at that price it's a killer deal but the CPU and small screen worries me if I'm going to be using it a lot.

Dell Inspiron 15R - $649

Alienware M11x - $659
    160GB SATAII 5,400RPM

Any help is greatly appreciated, or if you have suggestions for laptops around that price that might be better let me know!
    First off let me say MAVERICK !!

Ok now that that is out of the way http://www.xoticpc.com/. If you are willing to put a little more into it you can get a decent laptop here.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Dell Inspiron 15R - $649

Alienware M11x - $659
    160GB SATAII 5,400RPM

Alienware adds they price tags too high lol... and dell is the number one computer vendor for business...so id say dell would be kind of cheaper way to go

Soulwalker

Maverick? What am I missing? :P

Well, the Alienware is only $10 more but has a slightly older CPU, a smaller HD, but a better graphics card (From what I've read, could be wrong.) and probably a lot less bloated crap on it then the Dell.

Like I said, I know these laptops aren't that impressive but I'd rather just be able to play and enjoy the game...I'm just at a loss as to which one to go with, or either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged1 View Post
    Alienware adds they price tags too high lol... and dell is the number one computer vendor for business...so id say dell would be kind of cheaper way to go
    You know that dell own Alienware right. So technically either way he's getting a Dell.

Maverick is a dude that i will admit knows a lot more about laptop gaming than i do.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Champion

Dell Inspiron 15R - $649

Alienware M11x - $659
    160GB SATAII 5,400RPM

DELL.. CPU is nearly 2X clock rate and Intel Core i3 vs Core 2 Dou. The i3s are very gamer friendly. the HD550V is essentially a HD4650 but higher clocked, performance wise the HD550V (as noted by link below) is about 10% slower than the GT335M HOWEVER the CPU (i3 @ 2.4Ghz) will more than makeup for that. Don't expect to be running Rift on Ultra at 1080p with all effects however IF Trion manages to optimize Rift to meet the published requirements then you shouldn't have a hard time playing with acceptable framerates with some eyecandy.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mob...v.31270.0.html
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

Soulwalker

I'm running the CoreI7 version of the M11x, graphics maxed, and averaging 30FPS. I think even if you go with the Core2 you should be fine. The graphics card is the same, and thats one of your big requirements. Alienware may be made by Dell now, but does have alot less bloatware.

Quote Originally Posted by Therlisian View Post
    I'm running the CoreI7 version of the M11x, graphics maxed, and averaging 30FPS. I think even if you go with the Core2 you should be fine. The graphics card is the same, and thats one of your big requirements. Alienware may be made by Dell now, but does have alot less bloatware.
    A polished turd is a turd none the less.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by SirPent View Post
    DELL.. CPU is nearly 2X clock rate and Intel Core i3 vs Core 2 Dou. The i3s are very gamer friendly. the HD550V is essentially a HD4650 but higher clocked, performance wise the HD550V (as noted by link below) is about 10% slower than the GT335M HOWEVER the CPU (i3 @ 2.4Ghz) will more than makeup for that. Don't expect to be running Rift on Ultra at 1080p with all effects however IF Trion manages to optimize Rift to meet the published requirements then you shouldn't have a hard time playing with acceptable framerates with some eyecandy.
    I'd be happy being able to play it on medium/low with either of these laptops, from looking around the boards it didn't seem very likely. Now I just have to make a decision, the Alienware is quite a deal at that price (and more portable) but I have a feeling the small screen may drive me nuts as I like to game for hours at a time. (Could always get a monitor, but if the 15' Dell is better then why bother :P)

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by SirPent View Post
    acrually if you read the chart in your site the 550v is lower clocked than the 4650, which is faster than both 550v and nv 335
    the difference its not huge but as my laptop with 4650 gets really strained in bigger events, I would say that both those options are really at the edge of unplayability during those events, maybe just a bit over the edge.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Nix-zero View Post
    acrually if you read the chart in your site the 550v is lower clocked than the 4650, which is faster than both 550v and nv 335
    the difference its not huge but as my laptop with 4650 gets really strained in bigger events, I would say that both those options are really at the edge of unplayability during those events, maybe just a bit over the edge.
    I see, what specs do you have on your laptop and what settings do you play at?? Just trying to get some idea of how this will run before I make a decision! Thanks

Rift Master

I see, what specs do you have on your laptop and what settings do you play at?? Just trying to get some idea of how this will run before I make a decision! Thanks
    actually this is just my "work" machine, I play on my desktop machine that's more specifically geared for games, still I've installed rift here too to make some tests.
    the machine has a bit undersized processor, an intel core 2 duo T6400 2ghz, the video is a M4650 512mb
    actually its possible that the slower cpu and the limited graphic memory size would counterbalance the faster gpu clock, so your proposed machines look more promising, after a bit of thought
    [edit]
    dunno about that alienware machine's processor, looks more an ultra-low-power one for extremely long battery duration, I would look for something a bit less specialized.
    Last edited by Nix-zero; 02-12-2011 at 02:14 AM.

Soulwalker

Default Alienware

I can't tell you anything about Inspiron, but I'm playing Rift on my Dell Anienware m11x and it's going just fine on medium.

And if you finaly choose Alienware, I want to warn you not to update video driver from nvidia site, when rift says that you should, because looks like those drivers don't know how to work with switching video adaper or something and do not work at all. I had to roll back my driver to retun myself the ability to switch video mode back to performance mode (nvidia adapter) and set resolution more than 800x600 =)
    Last edited by Mrase; 02-12-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mrase View Post
    I can't tell you anything about Inspiron, but I'm playing Rift on my Dell Anienware m11x and it's going just fine on medium.

And if you finaly choose Alienware, I want to warn you not to update video driver from nvidia site, when rift says that you should, because looks like those drivers don't know how to work with switching video adaper or something and do not work at all. I had to roll back my driver to retun myself the ability to switch video mode back to performance mode (nvidia adapter) and set resolution more than 800x600 =)
    If I may ask, what are the specs on your m11x? Are you running with one of the new core i5/i7 models or the old core 2 duo? Thanks

Soulwalker

Default research and idea's - in the same boat

Funny I am in the same boat as you... my old laptop will barely run Rift and I will have to play the beta with low rendering turned on. I spent last night researching and got a lot of great tip's. The post is here:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...-Rift-and-work

With that being said, I was really impressed with optix and origins. I am not on a budget per se, but I also don't want to overspend, since in 3 years when I replace this new laptop, I will be in the same boat. At optix I was able to configure an Asus with the I7, 8 G dual channel Ram, and the Nvidia 460 video card which seems to be the pick here in the forums, for 1400. You can adjust down the i7 to an i5 and adjust down the ram to lower that price spec significantly. I also stuck with 15 inch screens, I would love an 11 inch but none of those seem to have the better processors and video cards.

I haven't bought one yet... going to Best Buy today to see what I can manage with them, and see if the price difference is worth instant gratification and playing beta on a proper computer. I doubt it though...

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast