+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Thinking of upgrading my graphics card...

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple Alixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    163

    Default Thinking of upgrading my graphics card...

    Hello to all who may be able to help answer a few questions.

    My current system is currently a HP Pavillion HDX 9200. (My dad gave it too me for free, since he bought a new laptop)

    Some specs about it:

    -Windows 7 64-bit (Not officially compatible with this beast of a laptop, but runs it fine minus some function with the quick launch blue buttons I don't even use any way.)

    - Desktop resolution 1680 x 1050

    - Intel dual core X7900 @ 2.80ghz

    - RAM 4.0 GB (think it's DDR3)

    - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card [ Video RAM 2GB ]

    So now that stuff is out of the way, I want to pose a question.

    Would upgrading my graphics card in this huge behemoth to a ATI Mobility HD 5870 Crossfire [1GB VRAM] be POSSIBLE?

    If not can you suggest some upgrades that will be VIABLE for my system.

    And no, I don't want to buy another computer. I simply don't want to shell out $2000 when this is doing a fine job (and it was free... so spending money on a new graphics card doesn't phase me). I wouldn't mind a little better performance is all.

    Thank you for reading, and double thanks for replying, triple thanks if it's something helpful.
    No, I don't know what a shrimp is and no, we do not always eat out side.

  2. #2
    Telaran Pherenis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Couple points; this is a note book so a traditional GFX card will not apply. That said you would need to locate what and if the graphics card can be changed out; many of which are socketed and can be replaced others are not.

    Should yours be socketed you would need to upgrade to a graphics card of a similar power envolope which would be the some kind of mobile mid range chip; likely a 56xx or 57xxx series mobile for ati or a mobile 300m based chip for nvidia.

    Either way what you can move up to will 100% be dependant on your OEM; more than likely you are stuck with whatever card you have.
    Last edited by Pherenis; 02-11-2011 at 10:57 PM.
    Phenom II X6 1090T BE: Overclocked to 4.0ghz (Awaiting Zambezi)
    8GB DDR2 1066
    PNY GTX 470 SLi (240 GT PhysX)

    http://wolvesofwar.org/

  3. #3
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Well, you will not be playing Rift with that system, you need a new one to play Rift. It would cost you more to upgrade that one then it would be just to buy a desktop specifically built for Rift.

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple Alixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pherenis View Post
    Couple points; this is a note book so a traditional GFX card will not apply. That said you would need to locate what and if the graphics card can be changed out; many of which are socketed and can be replaced others are not.

    Should yours be socketed you would need to upgrade to a graphics card of a similar power envolope which would be the some kind of mobile mid range chip; likely a 56xx or 57xxx series mobile for ati or a mobile 300m based chip.

    Either way what you can move up to will 100% be dependant on your OEM
    Hmm, well originally I tried calling HP to ask a technician what would be feasible, but they don't have their call centre open on weekends really.

    So I figured I'll try here.

    Thanks though... I had this in mind about the built to fit thing, but I was kind of hoping some one had the same model as me and did this exact same thing, doesn't hurt to ask.
    No, I don't know what a shrimp is and no, we do not always eat out side.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple Alixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Void425 View Post
    Well, you will not be playing Rift with that system, you need a new one to play Rift. It would cost you more to upgrade that one then it would be just to buy a desktop specifically built for Rift.
    WEEELLLLL,


    I can play rift on high settings sitting at 30 FPS fine with this system, so I will be playing rift on this system.

    You can run and tell that, home boy.
    No, I don't know what a shrimp is and no, we do not always eat out side.

  6. #6
    Telaran Pherenis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alixion View Post
    Hmm, well originally I tried calling HP to ask a technician what would be feasible, but they don't have their call centre open on weekends really.

    So I figured I'll try here.

    Thanks though... I had this in mind about the built to fit thing, but I was kind of hoping some one had the same model as me and did this exact same thing, doesn't hurt to ask.
    Again you will need a specifc part to keep it within the power envelope of your laptop; do not forget that the heatsink for the card has to match up with your vents; also see here:

    Quote Originally Posted by HP
    You may want to purchase or upgrade some of the following hardware components to take advantage of Vista features: Larger hard drive, additional memory (1 GB minimum), enhanced graphic card (graphics cannot be upgraded on notebook PCs), or a DVD disc drive (with both read and write capability).
    Phenom II X6 1090T BE: Overclocked to 4.0ghz (Awaiting Zambezi)
    8GB DDR2 1066
    PNY GTX 470 SLi (240 GT PhysX)

    http://wolvesofwar.org/

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts