+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: For anyone who wants a new Rig to OWN Rift

Rift Disciple

Default For anyone who wants a new Rig to OWN Rift

Since I end up seeing so many posts asking for computers to run Rift, I decided to do a blog post for a medium cost rig that will play Rift and other games awesomely well.

Here's the result.
    http://thepriorart.wordpress.com/201...ltra-settings/

Would love comments

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by xsistor View Post
    Since I end up seeing so many posts asking for computers to run Rift, I decided to do a blog post for a medium cost rig that will play Rift and other games awesomely well.

Here's the result.

Would love comments
    Can't say I would recommend a Sandy Bridge at this time with the 67 Chipset issues, .. plus the choice of motherboard (only 1 PCIe) + graphics and the conclusion is a bit odd to say the least,.

Conclusion
    You can go ahead and substitute some components to suit your needs. For example, an SLI mainboard would be a good idea if you’re deadset on it. There’s nothing out there that could possibly give twin GTX 560s in SLI a hard time.

except the board you listed doesn't support SLI.. the idea of building a conclusion of X Hardware choice based upon a Y configuration that isn't supported (as built) is again... odd. Buying bleeding edge has obvious performance potential however as we've seen it does come with a price.. (and Intel estimates at least $1 BILLION USD in cost to rectify, it could cost more).
    I would add an alternative configuration(s) .. Intel 1156 and an AMD AM3 with an ATI 6800/6900 as they both are more than capable and another cost alternative..
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

Rift Disciple

SLI boards are generally somewhat pricier, and given that not many people use SLI (it was around 3% according to STEAM) and the fact the GTX 560 should handle most games for a good while to come, I left SLI out. As for the chipset problem there is certainly that, but it's not a very large percentage (around 5% according to OCUK) and you can still RMA a fault board. I've done a few sandybridge builds for friends and never had a problem so far.

If going with AMD then Ati with xfire is probably the best choice, but I'm also hearing about people getitng low FPS on some Ati cards...

Telaran

The Sandybridge issue is not an instant issue, it's a degenerative fault in the chipset which won't be rectified until v2 boards come out in April/May. This means that ALL Sandybridge boards are currently affected and will lose SATA2 performance over time.

Better to wait a couple of months for the v2's than build with v1's. Anyway the performance benefit over an unlocked Phenom II X2 555 is not worth the price increase IMO. I run said Phenom at 3.8Ghz on air cooling and it keeps up with Intel's in gaming just fine. If you are doing other things like CAD or so on then Intel becomes a good idea, but just gaming? Stick with the cheaper AMD as you WON'T see a performance upgrade.

Rift Disciple

The PLL issue on the 3GB/s SATA is the result of a second-order transistor effects with the MOS gate. It is not something that will necessarily affect all users, though yes, it will take time for these effects to become apparent.
    The B3 stepping sandybridge chips are coming on February 14th for OEMs. Boards should also be out before long. I doubt it will take several months.
    Last edited by xsistor; 02-11-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Champion

The PLL issue on the 3GB/s SATA is the result of a second-order transistor effects with the MOS gate. It is not something that will necessarily affect all users, though yes, it will take time for these effects to become apparent.
    The B3 stepping sandybridge chips are coming on February 14th for OEMs. Boards should also be out before long. I doubt it will take several months.
    OEMs are reportedly to get the chips from Intel in the 2nd week of Feb.. HOWEVER from there it takes another 4+ weeks to enter retail..(ie when Joe/Jane Consumer will get one)

Last edited by SirPent; 02-11-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

Rift Disciple

Right, thanks. I'll get around to a revised alternative option a bit later on when i stop being busy

cheers!

Guys

Just buy a sata3 drive, then u have no issues with the m/b

I just bought

I7 2600
    Asus m/b
    Giga 560 oc
    4bg corsair 1600
    W/D sata3harddrive
    Fractal case

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jubes View Post
    Guys

Just buy a sata3 drive, then u have no issues with the m/b

I just bought

I7 2600
    Asus m/b
    Giga 560 oc
    4bg corsair 1600
    W/D sata3harddrive
    Fractal case

J
    Thats geat. But what if you decide to expand your storage later on to include an ssd which would scream on sata 3? Which drive do you sac?
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Anakha View Post
    Thats geat. But what if you decide to expand your storage later on to include an ssd which would scream on sata 3? Which drive do you sac?
    you buy a sata 3 controller card

Telaran

I was thinking of getting this:
    http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Gaming...qcType=new#rqc
    it has a quality sli capable power supply and motherboard, and an ssd.

Soulwalker

If you buy SB mb now you can get it replaced when they ship the new fixed ones. Just for the time use the sata3 connections (it's backwards compatible with sata2). Sata3 HDs are waste of money atm cause they dont get to use the 6gb bandwith... never. So just stick with sata2.

Why people are forgetting SSDs? I mean when I queue up for Warfronts/BGs in WoW, I'm running around there alone, while others slowly start to appear. ;/

Quote Originally Posted by Pizarrohax View Post
    If you buy SB mb now you can get it replaced when they ship the new fixed ones. Just for the time use the sata3 connections (it's backwards compatible with sata2). Sata3 HDs are waste of money atm cause they dont get to use the 6gb bandwith... never. So just stick with sata2.
    Yeah, sata3 is meant for SandForce-2000.

Plane Touched

Here's the result.

Would love comments
    It is quite a nice system!

The mass storage choice I would differ with you a bit though: it's a nice drive (I have two!) for secondary storage, but fast it isn't.. but it IS inexpensive, and for the budget you listed, it makes a lot of sense. For performance though, a fast SSD is the way to go. I expect (from things said in places like anandtech) that we'll see drives at about US$1.6 / Billion bytes, so even in relatively modest systems you would be able to afford a boot+app drive that'll give you 500GBytes/second speed. Definitely on my next upgrade, to be sure!

I think your Sandy Bridge recommendation is spot on. Sure, there's that support chip issue.. but by the time you can actually buy a Sandy Bridge motherboard (existing ones are no longer for sale from major vendors), in a month or two, it will still be the best CPU you can get. I bet you could OC it to 5GHz pretty readily as well. That would be FAST!!

For those that already have a Sandy Bridge MB, the support chip issue is likely NOT a problem.. by that I mean that sure, the support chip is defective, but chances are high you have a 6Gbit SATA port, use that, it's still perfectly fine. You probably won't see any increased performance (unless you're running a fast SSD), but that's not really the point, right? It certainly won't harm anything by doing so... and there's always the option of getting a cheap PCIe SATA card if number of ports is an issue with the drives you have.

Your GPU choice is a great choice at this time as well, and I think it's in the sweet spot when it comes to price/performance. Sure, you could go to a GTX 570, but you'd maybe get +25% performance (which, granted, is nice), but you pay another US$150 to get there, and you have a louder and more power-hungry card. Worth it? Maybe... but even running 2560x1600, a 560Ti should be able to handle it just fine (probably would want to turn off AA, but honestly, with that large a screen, AA doesn't really matter).... and besides, even a 3-year-old card (8800 GT) runs Rift at 2560x1600 just fine... albeit at Low (but with a bunch of different items up at max)... that's what I run, and Rift is very playable, and very smooth, and looks pretty good, too!

The only real quibble I'd have with the MB is lack of PCIe slots. If you want to add a few x4 or x8 cards later (as you might want to, for various reasons), you'll be out of luck... on the other hand, perhaps you'll have upgraded to Haswell/Rockwell at that point, who knows? If it works for you now, then great!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast