+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What should I get to improve my FPS?

Default What should I get to improve my FPS?

Here is everything I used to make my system, if you guys need any other parts/specs let me know. I am currently running no shadows and supersampling with 30 FPS in questing zones with about 15 FPS in harsh rifts/raids. I'd really like to be 40 FPS all the time. I've played LOTRO and I have over 100 FPS+ in the highest graphics so I'm not sure what's going on.

Any suggestions/buys would be much appreciated, the lowest cost possible to get 40 FPS all the time would be exactly what I need. Please PM/reply to this thread to let me know your thoughts. Thanks for helping out guys... here are my computer specs below.

Computer Parts:

Video Card (ATI!!!): SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Memory: Patriot Viper II 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PV234G1600LLK

Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Motherboard: MSI 760GM-E51 AM3 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Power Supply: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS550-PCARE3-US 550W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

Thanks,

Val

You can start improving immediately by turning off super sampling, then scale back our ground clutter and any non essential graphic setting like particles and spell quality. These of course will be raid settings not your PvE eye candy quest grinding settings.

The main choke point at this stage is the games limitation to exploiting any specific graphical architecture and chip set. When you start seeing things like 'Runs best on Alienware' or 'Runs best with Nvidia' you can be sure the started getting into streamlining their graphics code to exploit specific producers... shortly there after the competitive board manufactures release a small patch to their cards porting any difference other card manufacturers use to enable their cards to also exploit this streamlining.... and the vicious cycle continues... on and on and on....

Quote Originally Posted by Valthirus View Post
    Here is everything I used to make my system, if you guys need any other parts/specs let me know. I am currently running no shadows and supersampling with 30 FPS in questing zones with about 15 FPS in harsh rifts/raids. I'd really like to be 40 FPS all the time. I've played LOTRO and I have over 100 FPS+ in the highest graphics so I'm not sure what's going on.

Any suggestions/buys would be much appreciated, the lowest cost possible to get 40 FPS all the time would be exactly what I need. Please PM/reply to this thread to let me know your thoughts. Thanks for helping out guys... here are my computer specs below.

Computer Parts:

Video Card (ATI!!!): SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Memory: Patriot Viper II 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PV234G1600LLK

Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Power Supply: COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKRK-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 460W Power Supply

Thanks,

Val
    i currently use a 5770 and get 40-60fps, similar specs, except for the processor, so that looks like your bottleneck i also run my video card at an overclock of 925 Core and 1315 Ram
    Last edited by rich1051414; 02-11-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Updated; February 13, 2011; Nova Bench 3; Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate; AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3975 MHz; Graphics Card:Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5770 OC@960/1400
    Verified NovaBench Score: 1093
    Validated by CPU-Z

Quote Originally Posted by Valthirus View Post

Computer Parts:

Power Supply: COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKRK-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 460W Power Supply

Thanks,

Val
    first things first, get a better vid card, ATI can't even compare to the NVIDIA cards out today, go with a GTX 460 1GB vid card, won't run you more than 180 from newegg, and they are what every game now is basing their graphics engines on. Second, I recommend using a quad core instead of a dual core, AMD works just fine so long as you stay away from the Phenom II x6 series as they are about as unstable as the release of AoC . also, have you thought about more power? Your starving your system with only a 460W, I would recommend at least 600W. vid cards have an insane power draw these days so you need to make sure your running at least 50W over their recommended power rating and i believe that card has a minimum rating of a 500W. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ICDeadman; 02-11-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ICDeadman View Post
    first things first, get a better vid card, ATI can't even compare to the NVIDIA cards out today, go with a GTX 460 1.5GB vid card, won't run you more than 180 from newegg, and they are what every game now is basing their graphics engines on. Second, I recommend using a quad core instead of a dual core, AMD works just fine so long as you stay away from the Phenom II x6 series as they are about as unstable as the release of AoC . also, have you thought about more power? Your starving your system with only a 460W, I would recommend at least 600W. vid cards have an insane power draw these days so you need to make sure your running at least 50W over their recommended power rating and i believe that card has a minimum rating of a 500W. Hope this helps.
    it really depends on the review you read, and the games highlighted, but seeing the two cards in the range of the 460 are the 6850(20 dollars cheaper, 460 BARELY edges it out, and only at max overclock) and the 6870(stomps the 460, 20 dollars more). really, going ati or nvidia, you can go wrong. ati/amd is a great product that had speed bumps shortly after amd bought them out, but are doing great now.

Updated; February 13, 2011; Nova Bench 3; Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate; AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3975 MHz; Graphics Card:Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5770 OC@960/1400
    Verified NovaBench Score: 1093
    Validated by CPU-Z

Last edited by Melnock; 02-11-2011 at 09:24 PM.

actually, ATI can't even compete with the Cuda processors in the NVIDIA cards, I am running a GTS 250 1GB card in my system and running 50FPS constant when questing and 40FPS when rifting.

but enough about the graphics companies, you should definately look into getting a stronger power supply, I recommend an Antec Tru-Power series as they are true 12v rail multi rail systems that give you the best power output. currently I run Tru-Power Trio 650W and never have any power bog downs due to too much draw.

Plane Touched

Your duel core is your bottleneck.

------------------------------

You can tell which part is holding you back, your Video Card or your CPU/Motherboard by running the test below.

Put all your settings on LOW and check your FPS.
    Put all your settings on MAX and check your FPS.

If your FPS on Low is BETTER then your FPS on Max, Then you need to Upgrade your Video Card.
    If your FPS on Low is ABOUT THE SAME as your FPS on Max, Then your Cpu/Motherboard is bottlenecked and you need better.

Quote Originally Posted by ICDeadman View Post
    actually, ATI can't even compete with the Cuda processors in the NVIDIA cards, I am running a GTS 250 1GB card in my system and running 50FPS constant when questing and 40FPS when rifting.

but enough about the graphics companies, you should definately look into getting a stronger power supply, I recommend an Antec Tru-Power series as they are true 12v rail multi rail systems that give you the best power output. currently I run Tru-Power Trio 650W and never have any power bog downs due to too much draw.
    Um what resolution and settings? I seriously doubt you are getting that on ultra with any shadow/af/aa running, not to mention all of the other eyecandy that is going on. Please man leave the trolling in offtopic and the Fanboi-ism at the door. Just to prove this point

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2....1.0,2484.html
    Last edited by Anakha; 02-11-2011 at 11:20 PM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Anakha View Post
    Um what resolution and settings? I seriously doubt you are getting that on ultra with any shadow/af/aa running, not to mention all of the other eyecandy that is going on. Please man leave the trolling in offtopic and the Fanboi-ism at the door.
    GTX470 SLI user here; your suspicion is correct; no way he can get that with maxed settings. I usually get chug when I crank out the view distance. (I keep mine @ 5)

Per your MFGR your board supports the Thuban based Phenom II X6 chips:
    http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-E51.html

So that would be the only thing I would look at initially replacing; eventhrough your chip is a BE I seriously doubt you have it overclocked and second the peformance on the old A64 duallys is lackluster compared to their C2D counterparts so that would be what I would look at.
    Last edited by Pherenis; 02-11-2011 at 11:23 PM.
    Phenom II X6 1090T BE: Overclocked to 4.0ghz (Awaiting Zambezi)
    8GB DDR2 1066
    PNY GTX 470 SLi (240 GT PhysX)

http://wolvesofwar.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Pherenis View Post
    GTX470 SLI user here; your suspicion is correct; no way he can get that with maxed settings. I usually get chug when I crank out the view distance. (I keep mine @ 5)

Per your MFGR your board supports the Thuban based Phenom II X6 chips:
    http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-E51.html

So that would be the only thing I would look at initially replacing; even through your chip is a BE I seriously doubt you have it overclocked and second the performance on the old A64 duallys is lackluster compared to their C2D counterparts so that would be what I would look at.
    Actually I would go with a Phenom II x4 In this case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103808 should be more than enough to run rift and beyond, and it overclocks well. Additionally, he will be able to upgrade to the Phenom x6 later on when more games/apps support and optimize for multicore processing.
    Last edited by Anakha; 02-11-2011 at 11:32 PM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Actually I would go with a Phenom II x4 In this case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103808 should be more than enough to run rift and beyond.
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII dunno about that bro; honest to god the IPC of the Phenom IIs really hasnt been up to snuff; that was applicable back in the original Nehalem days and it sure as heck is now with Sandybridge. He / I need all the help we can get... until Dozer comes out of course.
    Last edited by Pherenis; 02-11-2011 at 11:30 PM.
    8GB DDR2 1066

Quote Originally Posted by Pherenis View Post
    III dunno about that bro; honest to god the IPC of the Phenom IIs really hasnt been up to snuff; that was applicable back in the original Nehalem days and it sure as heck is now with Sandybridge. He / I need all the help we can get... until Dozer comes out of course.
    Show me a game that fully utilizes 6 cores and I will purchase one myself. Unless he is doing a heavily threaded task (such as video encoding) there is not a need for the 2 extra cores, and I am not going to recommend high overclocking to someone who may not have a great deal of experience with it. On top of that to use all of the features of the x6 he is going to have to move up to the "Leo" platform, which means a new mobo.
    Last edited by Anakha; 02-11-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Show me a game that fully utilizes 6 cores and I will purchase one myself
    Ok sure (note the 965 has a 200mhz advantage):
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...x,2613-11.html

On top of that to use all of the features of the x6 he is going to have to move up to the "Leo" platform, which means a new mobo.
    Not true, BIOS support is all that is required.
    Last edited by Pherenis; 02-11-2011 at 11:42 PM.
    8GB DDR2 1066

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS550-PCARE3-US 550W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

I'm sorry... I attually have a 550 power supply... At this point am I correct in going for a new processor?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast