+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Processor/MOBO questions

Rift Disciple

Exclamation Processor/MOBO questions

Hi I saw a deal for AMD Phenom II 1100T Black Edition Six Core 3.30GHz Processor for $200 and while my amd x2 dual core 5600+ is good I was wondering if I got this A) worth it for $200? B) what MOBO will I have to buy to support it? (please list a couple if applicable)

my mobo now is kind of crappy no name one. I would like a new mobo to be able to handle 2 graphics cards at once, I have a nvidia 9800 gtx+ right now.

finally I have vista....if I get a new processor and mobo should I also step up and get win 7 64 bit? where does this fall in terms of total costs?

Thanks!

:::::UPDATED:::::

Asus Crosshair IV Formula MOBO
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.8GHz Processor
    Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333
    NVIDIA 9800 GTX+ Video Card
    300GB 7200RPM HD (on deck for replacement)
    OCZ600SXS PSU
    Win 7 64Bit
    Last edited by johnny5; 02-15-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by johnny5 View Post
    Hi I saw a deal for AMD Phenom II 1100T Black Edition Six Core 3.30GHz Processor for $200 and while my amd x2 dual core 5600+ is good I was wondering if I got this A) worth it for $200? B) what MOBO will I have to buy to support it? (please list a couple if applicable)

my mobo now is kind of crappy no name one. I would like a new mobo to be able to handle 2 graphics cards at once, I have a nvidia 9800 gtx+ right now.

finally I have vista....if I get a new processor and mobo should I also step up and get win 7 64 bit? where does this fall in terms of total costs?

Thanks!
    The new mobo if you go AMD is only going to be able to support Dual AMD cards or a single Nvidia.

That said a budget is a much better place to start than you say a single processor on sale and its 200 bucks. That might be a good deal for you and it might not. If you go with that CPU you will need an AM3 motherboard and DDR3 memory. If you do that you can probably get away with the 9800 GTX for a few months until you can save up more or you can budget enough to upgrade the GPU. If you do that you MIGHT need a PSU depending on your current one.

Big list of ifs and maybes.

and god yes, budget permitting, get win 7 64.
    Last edited by Maverick494; 02-11-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks!
    You will need an AM3 MOBO for the PhIIx6, preferably one with the 890 chipset (for turbo core support). I would definitely get Windows 7 64 bit, and that will cost you $99 (for home premium OEM). All in all though it comes down to how much you are willing to spend.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick494 View Post
    The new mobo if you go AMD is only going to be able to support Dual AMD cards or a single Nvidia.

That said a budget is a much better place to start than you say a single processor on sale and its 200 bucks. That might be a good deal for you and it might not. If you go with that CPU you will need an AM3 motherboard and DDR3 memory. If you do that you can probably get away with the 9800 GTX for a few months until you can save up more or you can budget enough to upgrade the GPU. If you do that you MIGHT need a PSU depending on your current one.

Big list of ifs and maybes.
    overtired from work question, is there a way to check my PSU specs without opening the case?

and its not the stock one, I had to replace it and I think off the top of my head its 750w
    Last edited by johnny5; 02-11-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Shield of Telara

overtired from work question, is there a way to check my PSU specs without opening the case?
    not really no.

Rift Disciple

I was wrong.

OCZ600sxs is the model number, is that the info you were looking for about PSU?

I could spend about 400 and I will not be replacing the graphics card yet. Would that get me a proc/mobo? I think I can get a deal on win 7 64 from my college.

Shield of Telara

I was wrong.

OCZ600sxs is the model number, is that the info you were looking for about PSU?

I could spend about 400 and I will not be replacing the graphics card yet. Would that get me a proc/mobo? I think I can get a deal on win 7 64 from my college.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.591989

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.548058

the first one is pretty good if you can stretch the budget to include win 7
    Last edited by Maverick494; 02-11-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Anakha View Post
    You will need an AM3 MOBO for the PhIIx6, preferably one with the 890 chipset (for turbo core support). I would definitely get Windows 7 64 bit, and that will cost you $99 (for home premium OEM). All in all though it comes down to how much you are willing to spend.
    an AM3 processor will work fine in an AM2+ (DDR2) motherboard as long as there is BIOS support for it. I've seen 3+ year old motherboards support the latest AM3 cpus with a bios update, pretty much anything with a 600 or newer series
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by SirPent View Post
    an AM3 processor will work fine in an AM2+ (DDR2) motherboard as long as there is BIOS support for it. I've seen 3+ year old motherboards support the latest AM3 cpus with a bios update, pretty much anything with a 600 or newer series
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say his board is probably AM2 or AM and not AM2+ and pairing a 6 core CPU with DDR2 is meh.

Rift Disciple

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.591989

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.548058

the first one is pretty good if you can stretch the budget to include win 7
    judging by your suggestions my psu is not strong enough to handle the processor from my original post?

Thanks!
    Win 7 64 bit should be your first priority here. Seriously, so much better than that craptastic Vista. Even without any hardware changes, you'll likely to notice a performance increase. Win 7 64 (or even 32 for that matter) is a way^infinity better gaming OS

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaee View Post
    Win 7 64 bit should be your first priority here. Seriously, so much better than that craptastic Vista. Even without any hardware changes, you'll likely to notice a performance increase. Win 7 64 (or even 32 for that matter) is a way^infinity better gaming OS
    Correct me but don't I need a 64bit mobo for win 7 64 to run right?

Shield of Telara

Correct me but don't I need a 64bit mobo for win 7 64 to run right?
    you already have one. There aren't even any more mainstream 32 bit processors on the market.
    Last edited by Maverick494; 02-11-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Rift Disciple

you already have one. There aren't even any more mainstream 32 bit processors on the market.
    Board: Dell Inc. 0RY206
    Serial Number: ..CN698617AA21CA.
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

according to belarc thats my mobo, be honest how craptastic is it?
    Last edited by johnny5; 02-11-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Shield of Telara

Board: Dell Inc. 0RY206
    Serial Number: ..CN698617AA21CA.
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

according to belarc thats my mobo, be honest how craptastic is it?
    its an AM2 socket, its getting old.

Its also in a dell so the case might be an issue too, but not sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast