Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mac OS Client

Plane Walker

Default Mac OS Client

Is there or will there be a mac os client? If not, has anyone played the game via windows 7 on vmware/mac os?

Thx

The devs have not stated that they are planning one at the moment. My guess is they want to make sure the game even works when the servers are live before they get into all that. That said, just about all the mac users who have been testing seem to say they use bootcamp and it works with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazemon View Post
    Is there or will there be a mac os client? If not, has anyone played the game via windows 7 on vmware/mac os?

Thx
    No Mac is awful for gaming.
    PVPimpin' Ain't PVEasy!

Holla Holla Get Dolla

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew View Post
    No Mac is awful for gaming.
    lmfao -- far superior platform.. Don't even get me started.. Every game I play on mac performs much more solidly than windoze. Learn about system internals and interfacing with devices before making a baseless claim like that. Just about everything in windows is a jury-rig approach to doing something.

Bor
    Rift Disciple

Every game I play on mac performs much more solidly than windoze.
    All three of them?

lmfao -- far superior platform.. Don't even get me started.. Every game I play on mac performs much more solidly than windoze. Learn about system internals and interfacing with devices before making a baseless claim like that. Just about everything in windows is a jury-rig approach to doing something.
    Lmfao to you, too sir... Macs are obscenely expensive for the specs, usually running quadruple the cost for a gaming system than their PC counterparts in exchange for... an OS that very little mainstream software runs on and has very few useful niche applications even. Most Mac users end up dual-booting Windows anyway.

My sig rig would cost around $2,100 to replicate including the monitor right now (probably $3k at most if you bought it pre-built)... a Mac Pro of similar speed/specs runs $8,700 when I specced it out recently.
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 02-11-2011 at 03:38 PM.
    Rig: 256gb SSD, i7 2600K quad-core (w/ HT, 4400mhz), GTX 670 Gigabyte OC WindForce @ 1354core/6510mem, 2560x1600 (Dell 3007wfp-hc S-IPS LCD monitor 30"), 16GB DDR3.
    Double the pixels of a 1920x1200 monitor = yummy graphics! I do love my eye candy...
    GSB, RoS conqueror, DH, GP cleared, 10/11 HK + P3 Akylios pre-nerf, Mage of Wolfsbane

mac = not for gaming.

why do people not understand this? mac is a development computer, designed for strenuous development such as video editing, software development, and the likes. mac is NOT a gaming platform. people need to learn before they buy things for thousands of dollars.

Plane Touched

Do not give in to the evil empire. Do not make software for their evil platform.

Quote Originally Posted by matt198992 View Post
    mac = not for gaming.

why do people not understand this? mac is a development computer, designed for strenuous development such as video editing, software development, and the likes. mac is NOT a gaming platform. people need to learn before they buy things for thousands of dollars.
    Macs actually are a relic of the past that aren't really useful for anything but being able to legally compile iPhone applications due to the requirement of OSX being run on an Apple-badged computer . A PC will run loops around a similar-cost Mac in all of those situations you mention .
    Rig: 256gb SSD, i7 2600K quad-core (w/ HT, 4400mhz), GTX 670 Gigabyte OC WindForce @ 1354core/6510mem, 2560x1600 (Dell 3007wfp-hc S-IPS LCD monitor 30"), 16GB DDR3.
    Double the pixels of a 1920x1200 monitor = yummy graphics! I do love my eye candy...
    GSB, RoS conqueror, DH, GP cleared, 10/11 HK + P3 Akylios pre-nerf, Mage of Wolfsbane

macs are also more of a pain in the *** to build a game upon because not only is it a completely different structure of OS, they dont release their base OS coding to anyone, and Windows does, thus making gaming and running applications more compatible on windows.

Ascendant

Touché, how are they superior exactly? They have the exact same internal parts in as an every day desktop, even down the the Intel i7 or Xeon processor.

Gotta love crapintosh users, always entertaining with words like: "Of higher quality components", "Stable", "Far superior". LOL!
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matt198992 View Post
    mac = not for gaming.
    Even if this were true (and I think I trust Valve, who think it is, more than Some Guy On The Internet)...

Not everyone is going to get a computer exclusively for gaming. I have a bunch of Macs for reasons unrelated to gaming, and then I play games on them.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    Macs actually are a relic of the past that aren't really useful for anything but being able to legally compile iPhone applications due to the requirement of OSX being run on an Apple-badged computer . A PC will run loops around a similar-cost Mac in all of those situations you mention .
    im not talking about power. im talking about performance. their UI is made for development programs and their OS adheres to the same thing as well. it is EASIER to do that type of thing on a mac.

but of course a same-cost pc will run circles around a mac. 90% of the mac's pricing is for their logo. the only apple/mac product i own is an ipod, and that's the way its gonna stay.

why would ANY soft developer spend millions of dollars on a niche platform that wil not run as smooth as the win platform and that any mac user can access anyway ?
    really, porting something to mac makes no sense what so ever.

why doyou think there is that dual boot option in mac users ????

believe me, for 99 % of the softwre developers, getting an extra frame per second is a priority, getting an apple version out is a ... haha at best (cough, waste of resources)
    Last edited by muylaetrex; 02-11-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Even if this were true (and I think I trust Valve, who think it is, more than Some Guy On The Internet)...

Not everyone is going to get a computer exclusively for gaming. I have a bunch of Macs for reasons unrelated to gaming, and then I play games on them.
    have fun not playing new releases on macs then. because to develop for a mac is not only harder, it also requires a complete overhaul in coding.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast