+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Multiple monitors

Shadowlander

Default Multiple monitors

Anyone using multiple monitors with Rift? How is it working? Helpful?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Cuskarie View Post
    Anyone using multiple monitors with Rift? How is it working? Helpful?
    Will let you know when next Beta starts up again.. using 3 1920x1080 in Landscape (5760x1080).. I know there are others here that also plan on using multiple displays. I like "landscape" because of the much wider peripheral "vision" makes it harder for people/mobs to flank or sneak up on either side.
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

Shadowlander

I was thinking of setting up one on the side for bags and raid stuff. But I have been playing in a window cause of a glitch. Not sure how more monitors would work.

Hey, I thought I'd add a question for the thread.

I've got two 24" monitors and I'd love to figure out how to stretch Rift across both screens...

What settings do I have to change?

Thanks!

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by iontheable View Post

I've got two 24" monitors and I'd love to figure out how to stretch Rift across both screens...

Thanks!
    depends on what your graphics card is.. an ATI HD5000 or newer can automatically "stretch" your display using Eyefinity (AMD's brand name for multi-monitor). NV has a similar technology but you need two graphics cards (GTX200/400/500). Other alternatives include "SoftTH" (free) and Matrox's TripleHead.. I'd suggest you check out Wide Screen Gaming Forums for much more info

Champion

Also of interest to some: Rift + Eyefinity = <3

Quote Originally Posted by SirPent View Post
    depends on what your graphics card is.. an ATI HD5000 or newer can automatically "stretch" your display using Eyefinity (AMD's brand name for multi-monitor). NV has a similar technology but you need two graphics cards (GTX200/400/500). Other alternatives include "SoftTH" (free) and Matrox's TripleHead.. I'd suggest you check out Wide Screen Gaming Forums for much more info
    At the moment I am running a GTX275..

And what you're saying is that I need an SLI setup to run any "stretch" format? That or a

I was considering an upgrade, as my OC'd 275 really struggles with Rift maxed out..

Running an i7 920 @4GHz with 6GB of DD3 1600..

What programs could you suggest to "stretch" Rift properly? With the current card I have.

Shield of Telara

I am pretty sure Nvidia cards can do dual monitor with a single card just fine. Since like windows 98.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_twinview.html

I could be wrong but I think you just have to make it extend your desktop and I think that is called span mode with Nvidia.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/faq.asp

Thanks!
    The thing about using two monitors is that there will always be the monitor dividers running right down the middle of your screen. A 3 monitor system works better if you can.

And what you're saying is that I need an SLI setup to run any "stretch" format? That or a

I was considering an upgrade, as my OC'd 275 really struggles with Rift maxed out..

What programs could you suggest to "stretch" Rift properly? With the current card I have.
    Dont quite understand why you are really struggling at max. I have an old q6600 oc to 3.3, a gtx260(poormans edition) and 4 gb ddr2 and im a tiny bit off max ultra settings on a 28 inch monitor and never dip below 19(recorded lowest) even on rift invasion .

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick494 View Post
    I am pretty sure Nvidia cards can do dual monitor with a single card just fine. Since like windows 98.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_twinview.html

I could be wrong but I think you just have to make it extend your desktop and I think that is called span mode with Nvidia.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/faq.asp
    Oh sorry.. 2 Displays.. yeah you should be able to do that.. although the game will be "centered" right where the 2 monitors meet.. the problem with teh game would be "tricking" Rift into thinking you have ONE display (assuming or example your displays are both 1280x1024) that is 2560x1024.
    SoftTH is very customizable but kind of tricky to get working (its a text file with some DLLs that intercept the DirectX calls and output the image across the "spanned/joined" displays")
    Last edited by SirPent; 02-11-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesey View Post
    Dont quite understand why you are really struggling at max. I have an old q6600 oc to 3.3, a gtx260(poormans edition) and 4 gb ddr2 and im a tiny bit off max ultra settings on a 28 inch monitor and never dip below 19(recorded lowest) even on rift invasion .
    Well, the q6600 was a beast, and I think the gtx20, at the launch of the GTX2xx's was the cream of the crop..

But I am curious as to why my system doesn't handle it as well..I fly on most games, maxxed out completely..

HRM

+ Reply to Thread