+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bottlenecks?

Telaran

Default Bottlenecks?

Does anyone have a good feel yet where the main performance bottlenecks may be in running Rift? Not looking at just FPS, but overall performance...

Is it the feeling that CPU and Gfx card are probably most important, followed by RAM and then maybe HDD spin speed?

I'm at roughly the recommended specs now, give or take and am looking at upgrading something but not everything, and I intend to stay within compatibilities of my current mobo.

Nvidia GTX 260 -----> looking at Nvidia GTX 470 maybe
    LGA775 - C2Duo 6600 @2.4Ghz -----> looking at C2Quad Yorkfield @ 2.5 or 2.83Ghz maybe
    2Gb DDR2 RAM -----> looking at maxing at 8Gb since I recently upgraded to Win7-64bit

Based on that, and given all those upgrades wouldn't hurt, I'd be interested in opinions as to which of those upgrades is likely to give me most bang, specifically where Rift is concerned.

Expect to see your FPS on the same hardware at the same settings improve significantly with updates to both rift and your drivers.

Tho bottleneck of every PC is the hard drive. If you have decent cpu and decent gpu the best improvements to computer performance is:

1. Memory (4gb min)
    2. Solid State Hard Drive (ssd)

Telaran

I hope you are right! I am running the latest Nvidia driver already, but one can always hope for performance improving software updates soon to come. Certainly cheaper than hardware upgrades!

Quote Originally Posted by Zildjan View Post
    Does anyone have a good feel yet where the main performance bottlenecks may be in running Rift? Not looking at just FPS, but overall performance...

Is it the feeling that CPU and Gfx card are probably most important, followed by RAM and then maybe HDD spin speed?

I'm at roughly the recommended specs now, give or take and am looking at upgrading something but not everything, and I intend to stay within compatibilities of my current mobo.

Nvidia GTX 260 -----> looking at Nvidia GTX 470 maybe
    LGA775 - C2Duo 6600 @2.4Ghz -----> looking at C2Quad Yorkfield @ 2.5 or 2.83Ghz maybe
    2Gb DDR2 RAM -----> looking at maxing at 8Gb since I recently upgraded to Win7-64bit

Based on that, and given all those upgrades wouldn't hurt, I'd be interested in opinions as to which of those upgrades is likely to give me most bang, specifically where Rift is concerned.
    My Hard drive is my current bottleneck in rift. I really need to plug in my SSD.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpiglet View Post
    Tho bottleneck of every PC is the hard drive. If you have decent cpu and decent gpu the best improvements to computer performance is:

1. Memory (4gb min)
    Most applications are 32bit and cant use more than 2gb of ram anyway, adding more ram isn't going to improve it's performance assuming your at 4gb.

SSDs will only improve when traveling and there is a slight pause when it has to load the next area from the disk.

CPUs and GPUs will both limit FPS.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpiglet View Post

1. Memory (4gb min)
    I wish you would stop telling everyone to blow money on SSDs, you have repeatedly been corrected already.

The fact is that this game needs a good graphics card and hates dual core CPUs.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

+ Reply to Thread