+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help me pick a new graphics card?

Default help me pick a new graphics card?

i currently have a
    GTS 250 factory overclocked GPU, which can run rift on pretty high, but when i turn everything up to max, it plays for a while, then overheats and crashes. hehe. so no more of that. its also straining to play SC2 on high settings.

so i want to upgrade. im looking to spend no more than 150 preferably... but have had my eye on this card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-597-_-Product

any other recommendations by anyone that can get rift on max?

ps: also running with a 3.9GHZ dual core processor and 4 GB ram on windows XP SP3.

also, i am running it on a 28' hdtv as a monitor and a second lcd monitor for itunes and web browsing and such. reso is at 1360x768
    Last edited by matt198992; 02-11-2011 at 12:12 PM.

I am running dual Nvidia 460, but often times reduce it to just 1 to run the game and the other for Physix, I seem to get better frame rates that way. I can run everything at ultra at 2560x1600 on my 30 inch monitor and it constantly runs at 40-45 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Deylios View Post
    I am running dual Nvidia 460, but often times reduce it to just 1 to run the game and the other for Physix, I seem to get better frame rates that way. I can run everything at ultra at 2560x1600 on my 30 inch monitor and it constantly runs at 40-45 fps
    my MB only has 1 pci-e slot on it =( ive never done dual video cards.

also, i am running it on a 28' hdtv as a monitor and a second lcd monitor for itunes and web browsing and such. reso is at 1360x768

Quote Originally Posted by matt198992 View Post
    i currently have a
    GTS 250 factory overclocked GPU, which can run rift on pretty high, but when i turn everything up to max, it plays for a while, then overheats and crashes. hehe. so no more of that. its also straining to play SC2 on high settings.

so i want to upgrade. im looking to spend no more than 150 preferably... but have had my eye on this card:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-597-_-Product

any other recommendations by anyone that can get rift on max?

ps: also running with a 3.9GHZ dual core processor and 4 GB ram on windows XP SP3.
    Not a bad card at all but it sounds like you might have heat issues, and running an oc 460 ain't gonna help much, you'll need to make sure you have better cooling options.......Good Luck !!!
    "Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire" Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Solafide View Post
    Not a bad card at all but it sounds like you might have heat issues, and running an oc 460 ain't gonna help much, you'll need to make sure you have better cooling options.......Good Luck !!!
    hmm...i dont know how else to do it. i recently cleaned it all out. rewired it for better breathing room. case has 2 rear fans and a side panel fan. i dont know how else to keep this thing cool then. 0.o

Soulwalker

The 460 will run it great. I am max settings on my Laptop with a 460. I do notice my temps increase when running dual display (laptop + HDTV) but no overheating issues. The desktop 460 has better cooling and tests a little higher on benches. I'd say for the 130-150 price point its the best. /.02 cents

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by matt198992 View Post
    hmm...i dont know how else to do it. i recently cleaned it all out. rewired it for better breathing room. case has 2 rear fans and a side panel fan. i dont know how else to keep this thing cool then. 0.o
    The best test for simple system overheating is usually to take the side of the case off and have a house fan blowing full blast into it while you try to recreate the crash.

If it stops crashing, then upgrading the video card is only sidestepping the core problem; you'd do better to resolve the cooling issue first before investing more $ into a card that you're then going to cram into a poorly ventilated box.

If it keeps crashing, you have other issues and you need to figure out if your video card is the problem or if it's something else, otherwise you're wasting money.

It could be that your case simply isn't optimal for a gaming rig. It's unusual for a decent case not to have a front fan to encourage full front-back airflow. The "suck" from several rear fans alone really isn't sufficient for good airflow. Side fans tend to focus a blast of air across the middle of the video card or around the CPU cooler and chipset, but that's not where the fan intake is on most gaming video cards -- it's at the front end of the card.

So your current setup is probably passing a nice blast of air across the middle of the video card (which, on a GTX250, is probably encased in solid plastic), which then gets sucked straight up the back of the machine, tickling the CPU cooler on the way past, and right back out the rear fans. Meanwhile, the air around the lower PCI slots and the drive bays at the front of the machine -- which is where the video card fan is likely sucking half its air from -- is barely circulating and is getting warmer and warmer.

The speed/number of fans generally isn't as important as their positioning for airflow. Ideally you want a good flow of air from the front/bottom of the case (usually the HDD bays), past the lower PCI slots, up past the video card, up past the CPU cooler, and out the back/top. It minimizes poor circulation and hotspots, except around the 5.25" drive bays... which, lets be honest, are 90% irrelevant in most modern PCs!

Edit: I'm a big fan of the Antec 902 and 900 cases, in case you end up looking. Can't beat the airflow on those.
    Last edited by Flim; 02-11-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flim View Post
    The best test for simple system overheating is usually to take the side of the case off and have a house fan blowing full blast into it while you try to recreate the crash.

If it stops crashing, then upgrading the video card is only sidestepping the core problem; you'd do better to resolve the cooling issue first before investing more $ into a card that you're then going to cram into a poorly ventilated box.

If it keeps crashing, you have other issues and you need to figure out if your video card is the problem or if it's something else, otherwise you're wasting money.

It could be that your case simply isn't optimal for a gaming rig. It's unusual for a decent case not to have a front fan to encourage full front-back airflow. The "suck" from several rear fans alone really isn't sufficient for good airflow. Side fans tend to focus a blast of air across the middle of the video card or around the CPU cooler and chipset, but that's not where the fan intake is on most gaming video cards -- it's at the front end of the card.

So your current setup is probably passing a nice blast of air across the middle of the video card (which, on a GTX250, is probably encased in solid plastic), which then gets sucked straight up the back of the machine, tickling the CPU cooler on the way past, and right back out the rear fans. Meanwhile, the air around the lower PCI slots and the drive bays at the front of the machine -- which is where the video card fan is likely sucking half its air from -- is barely circulating and is getting warmer and warmer.

The speed/number of fans generally isn't as important as their positioning for airflow. Ideally you want a good flow of air from the front/bottom of the case (usually the HDD bays), past the lower PCI slots, up past the video card, up past the CPU cooler, and out the back/top. It minimizes poor circulation and hotspots, except around the 5.25" drive bays... which, lets be honest, are 90% irrelevant in most modern PCs!

Edit: I'm a big fan of the Antec 902 and 900 cases, in case you end up looking. Can't beat the airflow on those.
    well i did a few tests on it and it only happens when i turn every setting to max on rift. never before or after that has it crashed.

im scared to buy a new case then find out i need a new card after all. but if you think its the case that is the problem then...but i will look into the antec. i REALLY like the look of the 902.
    well this is my current case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811156135
    Last edited by matt198992; 02-11-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Plane Walker

Don't buy a case without doing the house fan test. :tongue: That's better airflow than any case is going to give you! Or at least test with the side off the case. If it still crashes at max, you may have to investigate the cause further.

Bottom line: the game shouldn't really be crashing outright, even on Ultra. Sure, it's going to complain a bit and your framerate might plummet as soon as you increase the settings, but it shouldn't run playably for a while on max and then die. It does tend to suggest a heat problem... but you can't know for sure until you eliminate cooling as the issue by either using the house fan and eliminating the crash altogether, or by replicating the problem even with the house fan. (Using a software temperature monitor is a good idea too.) Just don't be too keen to part with cash until you know you're solving the root problem.

If you are buying a new g-card i would upgrade to windows 7 so i cud use Direct x 11 . NEVER USE direct x 11 for Windows xp most of those downloads are keyloggers and that software cant be made for XP since xp is missing a important thing to run dx 11 .

if your looking to spend 200 get the gtx 560 if you can fork out more get the gtx 570... do not get a past series to save 20 bucks ... go rob an old lady if you need 20 bucks to get the newest series.

... seriously ... do it
    Last edited by ComaXO; 02-11-2011 at 05:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chopstx View Post
    Assumption

I see...I mistook your R-Pness as complaining. I will don my helm and tassets and take my leave. As sunlight escapes, casting shadows across the rocky wasteland, I'm reminded of how long the days of my youth seemed at that time. A better time. Now though, as the day fades, I will cherish these last few moments with waffles.

Quote Originally Posted by ComaXO View Post
    if your looking to spend 200 get the gtx 560 if you can fork out more get the gtx 570... do not get a past series to save 20 bucks ... go rob an old lady if you need 20 bucks to get the newest series.

... seriously ... do it
    Second the 560; really no reason to purchase anything other than it for the time being.
    Phenom II X6 1090T BE: Overclocked to 4.0ghz (Awaiting Zambezi)
    8GB DDR2 1066
    PNY GTX 470 SLi (240 GT PhysX)

http://wolvesofwar.org/

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ComaXO View Post

... seriously ... do it
    except of course that (as of yet) the cheapest the 560 is selling for is 25% more than 200USD ie.. $250, unless you or I or someone else here is going to pony up for the extra upgrade costs seems to me the previous gen 460s or the HD6800s/5800s are the only other options @ $200, in fact the OP iirc said htey were looking to spend no more than $150 (unless again you are going to send the extra $100 USD).
    Last edited by SirPent; 02-11-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

+ Reply to Thread