+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need GFX Card upgrade suggestions.

Default Need GFX Card upgrade suggestions.

Thanks in advanced.

Right now I run an Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX. I've wanted to run SLI with another of those for a while but since I bought my PC in 2007 I figured at this point there has to be a better card out there for my system at a decent price. Any help/suggestions would be awsome!

Quote Originally Posted by Reticule View Post
    Thanks in advanced.

Right now I run an Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX. I've wanted to run SLI with another of those for a while but since I bought my PC in 2007 I figured at this point there has to be a better card out there for my system at a decent price. Any help/suggestions would be awsome!
    meh FIrst you must tell us what your price range is..
    -i5 2500k 3.3ghz stock,COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520, ASUS P8P67 PRO, ocz 4x 1Gb n18000sr26k, Cougar 700w Modular Powersupply. Xfx hd4850, 2x128gb OCz SSd in raid 0. ANTEC| DF-35 RT Case.(Being built) Razor Lycosa keyboard, razor death adder mouse, razor naga mouse. Klipsch - ProMedia 2.1 sound system. Asus. 20inch and 23inch monitors
    -M11x i5 1.2ghz overclock to 1.66, 8gb Ram, 128gb SSd. Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Way better cards. As above, with no pricerange it's tough to recommend something. I'd say target an Nvidia GTX 560 (Ti), GTX 570, or AMD 6870, 6950, or 6970. With AMD you could go triple monitor off one card.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Shield of Telara

Thanks in advanced.

I recommend the search function or clicking on any one of the 50 or so of the same threads on this first forum page.

Sorry, price range somewhere between 150-200 bucks. Even then 200 is a bit of a stretch. I also saw all the other threads but they didn't pertain to my card and I didn't want my question getting lost in the shuffle of someone else's thread.

Shield of Telara

Sorry, price range somewhere between 150-200 bucks. Even then 200 is a bit of a stretch. I also saw all the other threads but they didn't pertain to my card and I didn't want my question getting lost in the shuffle of someone else's thread.
    who cares what your current card is. you want to upgrade.

HD5770
    GTS450
    GTX460

in the 150 or so range. If 200 you can add

HD6850
    HD6870 (if you can find one with a rebate)

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick494 View Post
    who cares what your current card is. you want to upgrade.

HD5770
    GTS450
    GTX460

in the 150 or so range. If 200 you can add

HD6850
    HD6870 (if you can find one with a rebate)
    Awsome and thanks for taking the time!

Plane Touched

This is a great choice, actually its really the only choice unless you want to spend about $300 or more.

Just for information, if one card gives you 100 percent.......When you run 2 cards in SLI you only get a 25 to 35 percent performance boost. Usually it is not worth the money to buy a second card for only a 25% increase when you can just buy a new single card altogether.
    Last edited by Void425; 02-11-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Void425 View Post
    This is a great choice, actually its really the only choice unless you want to spend about $300 or more.

Just for information, if one card gives you 100 percent.......When you run 2 cards in SLI you only get a 25 to 35 percent performance boost. Usually it is not worth the money to buy a second card for only a 25% increase when you can just buy a new single card altogether.
    That really is a great deal on a great card.

Your SLI scaling comment is compltely off the mark though. SLI scales at about 90% efficiency. No idea where you came up with those numbers.
    Riler - Future Guardian Warladin Knight
    <Pain>

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Riler View Post

Your SLI scaling comment is compltely off the mark though. SLI scales at about 90% efficiency. No idea where you came up with those numbers.
    I think the numbers he quoted used to be the case with older series cards and no game profiles but not the case any longer. I am somewhat CPU bottlenecked and picked up a second GTX 460 768 and I still hope to get much higher performance than 35%. I cant believe the performance this should give me for $180 AR. Plus I am selling the game download coupons which should bring it down to under $150.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Riler View Post

Yeah multi-gpu card scaling has increased substantially over the last year or two.. 1st and 2nd gen cards were able to get up to about 60-65% scaling at best.. to their credit though the methods used was much more elaborate (Scissor, checkerboard, CF etc) where as now 99% of games/gpus use the simplest form .. AFR-- Alternate Frame Rendering.. typically Geforce Fermi prodcuts (GTX400/GTX500) are seeing about 75-85% scaling on average and ATI HD5000 about the same, ATI HD6000 a bit better with 85-95% scaling. There are certain cases were either scaling doesn't work (you actually get WORSE than 1 GPU alone.. ie Negative Scaling) or you get better than 100% scaling.
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

+ Reply to Thread