+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Okay, building a PC...what do you think?

Telaran

Default Okay, building a PC...what do you think?

UPDATE: I just wanted to let everyone who helped me out with this PC build that I finally built it and it kicks so much ***. I got everything at Micro Center, spent $700 on the dot (taxes and all), and built the damn thing successfully. I even ran into a few problems that I was able to fix myself: MSI motherboard was DOA, took it back and got an Asus....MUCH happier with it, better ports on it too. Also had a ****-tastic case (Vortex?) that I took back last night to change out for a CM Storm, WAY better case. The case part kind of sucked though since I had to pull everything out.

Anyway, after building it, dealing with the problems I had, and playing Rift at max settings with it, I am so glad I did this....I feel like a pro-builder, ha. Thanks again!

I know this thread comes up a lot but like many others I'm a first time builder. My planned budget is $500-$700 without a monitor/keyboard/mouse. This is the build I have come up with but I'm a little over budget. I'm hoping you guys can let me know which parts I might be able to swap out for cheaper without sacrificing too much power. I'm not too keen on which brands are the most reliable, etc. Help me out!

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition $150

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 890GX ATX AMD Motherboard $100 (-$15 rebate)

Memory: 4GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 2GB Memory Modules) $70 (-$10 rebate)

GPU: ENGTX460DC2D1G5 NVIDIA Ge Force GTX 460 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card $200 (-$30 rebate)

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600 Watt ATX Power Supply $70

Hard Drive: Barracuda 7200.12 500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ST3500418AS - OEM $50

Optical Drive: DVR-S18MBK Internal 22x Dual / Double Layer DVD Writer $40

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid Tower Case $35

So that puts me at $725 + tax($70) - rebates ($55) = $740

Like I said $700 was my limit and I'm over. It would be nice to get back in the $600 range.
    Is there anything I'm missing?
    Is all this compatible?
    Will it run Rift well?

I'm planning on going into Microcenter and just getting everything at once instead of order a few parts from here and a few from there. Thanks again Rifters!
    Last edited by BloodandChocolate; 02-22-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodandChocolate View Post
    I know this thread comes up a lot but like many others I'm a first time builder. My planned budget is $500-$700 without a monitor/keyboard/mouse. This is the build I have come up with but I'm a little over budget. I'm hoping you guys can let me know which parts I might be able to swap out for cheaper without sacrificing too much power. I'm not too keen on which brands are the most reliable, etc. Help me out!

Memory: 4GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 2GB Memory Modules) $70 (-$10 rebate)

GPU: ENGTX460DC2D1G5 NVIDIA Ge Force GTX 460 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card $200 (-$30 rebate)

Hard Drive: Barracuda 7200.12 500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ST3500418AS - OEM $50

Like I said $700 was my limit and I'm over. It would be nice to get back in the $600 range.
    Is all this compatible?
    Will it run Rift well?

I'm planning on going into Microcenter and just getting everything at once instead of order a few parts from here and a few from there. Thanks again Rifters!
    8 gb of memory running a 64 bit OS, scrap the conventional HD and get a SSD.

Telaran

Is all this compatible?
    Will it run Rift well?

I would get a GTX 460 768 MB and overclock it if you want to save money. 90 after rebate at tigerdirect

I would also probably switch to a Samsung Spinpoint F3 hard drive, should be about the same price and a Corsair CMPSU-650TX at amazon for $70 AR as well.

Also if this is mainly for gaming you could switch to the x2 565 Callisto as in gaming you wont see much if any real performance boost with a quad vs dual. I would also probably get a cheaper DVD burner as there isnt much difference and maybe get a different case. Personally I like the Antec 300 for around that price but thats kind of a personal preference thing.
    Last edited by Eboo; 02-11-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Warpiglet View Post
    8 gb of memory running a 64 bit OS, scrap the conventional HD and get a SSD.
    That is pretty much exactly the opposite of the advice he asked for, and terrible advice at that. You will see very little (maybe zero) gaming performance gains upgrading to a SSD, and zero performance upgrades upgrading to 8GB of RAM.

Overall, you picked pretty good parts for such a low budget, but here are a few thoughts on how to lower that cost a little:

- Drop down to a 955 CPU. It is a bit cheaper and should OC just as well as the 965.

- That GTX 460 seems a bit expensive. They are readily available online for around $185 and many have rebates on top of that.

- You should be able to find many DVD drives for about $20. Check Newegg.

- I don't see an OS listed. Do you have Win7 64 bit already?

- Check out Newegg for combo deals. Many times you can find a CPU/MoBo combo (or other combos) that can save you $10-$20.
    Riler - Future Guardian Warladin Knight
    <Pain>

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Riler View Post
    That is pretty much exactly the opposite of the advice he asked for, and terrible advice at that. You will see very little (maybe zero) gaming performance gains upgrading to a SSD, and zero performance upgrades upgrading to 8GB of RAM.

Overall, you picked pretty good parts for such a low budget, but here are a few thoughts on how to lower that cost a little:

- Drop down to a 955 CPU. It is a bit cheaper and should OC just as well as the 965.

- That GTX 460 seems a bit expensive. They are readily available online for around $185 and many have rebates on top of that.

- Check out Newegg for combo deals. Many times you can find a CPU/MoBo combo (or other combos) that can save you $10-$20.
    Wow you guys are quick! Thanks a ton for the advice.

I could drop down to the 955 but I'm not sure how to overclock. I suppose I could just look it up online somewhere but won't that void my warranty or something?

The GTX 460 is a bit expensive but I wanted to make sure I could run Rift well (ultra you think?). I was going to grab an ATI card but I keep reading about the problems they've been having. If I decide on the 460 I might get one online or see if I can get Microcenter to price match.

My OS is win7 32 bit. Will that work out okay?

Everything is compatible I assume? I was a little confused about the mobo, they seemed to come in all sorts of prices. I just picked on that worked with my CPU.

Thanks again!

Shield of Telara

I could drop down to the 955 but I'm not sure how to overclock. I suppose I could just look it up online somewhere but won't that void my warranty or something?

The GTX 460 is a bit expensive but I wanted to make sure I could run Rift well (ultra you think?). I was going to grab an ATI card but I keep reading about the problems they've been having. If I decide on the 460 I might get one online or see if I can get Microcenter to price match.

Everything is compatible I assume? I was a little confused about the mobo, they seemed to come in all sorts of prices. I just picked on that worked with my CPU.

Thanks again!
    I see no incompatibilities.

You will need 64bit OS to use more than like 3GB of system memory.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Riler View Post

+1 to all of this.

If you need to shave off some more:

-- Smaller hard drive will net you up to $25. It's super easy to add in an additional drive later down the road. Ignore the comments about SSD. The price isn't worth the tiny performance bump and smaller storage space for a build like this.

-- GTX 460 with 768 MB instead of 1GB will save ~$50 (not counting rebates). That said, this would be the last thing I cut.

-- Even though you want to do it all in one go, don't be afraid to go online and seek out better and/or combo deals. Newegg, and to a lesser extent, TigerDirect, have seen me through 4+ builds over the years and the experience has been just fine.

EDIT: looks like you have a 32-bit OS. It will recognize 4GB of RAM, but can only use a touch over 3GB. I'm seeing $40-50 prices online for 3x1 kits, so that's another ~$25 saved. Then again, the 2x2 kits are about the same price, so either should be fine.
    Last edited by t0ast; 02-11-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Default Needs more power

You may want to consider bumping up that psu.

Your prices also seem high. Be sure to check more than 1 supplier.

Telaran

Thanks again!
    I think what he meant is the GTX 460 you quoted seems a little high. Whether you can run it in ultra depends on what resolution you are running. As far as overclocking the video card its simply a matter of installing the software and moving a slider bar and clicking apply. Unless you run in higher than 1920 x 1080p you probably wont see any performance boost with the 1GB GTX 460 vs the 768 MB one and the one I linked is half the cost. While Win 7 64 bit would be better for the future there isn't much reason to throw away your Win 7 32 bit, you won't get a real performance boost.

Price point on nV 4xx's is the 470.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezer View Post
    You may want to consider bumping up that psu.
    EDIT: After a bit of research, the 600W will probably just get him by (the video card requires 450w on its own), but another ~100w to be safe couldn't hurt. It's not an area you really want to skimp on.
    Last edited by t0ast; 02-11-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Shield of Telara

A 600W PSU is more than enough for that rig. I currently run a C2D and a GTX 460 1GB on a Corsair 520W PSU. Recommended PSU power is done considering the entire system, not just the card.

IMO, stay away from the 768MB version of the GTX 460. Not only does it have less memory, but it also has a slower memory bus. The 768MB version of that card is significantly less powerful. That is not the place I would skimp to save money on this build.

There comes a point where it makes no sense to lower your costs by getting inferior hardware, and I think the GTX 460 1GB is one of those cases. The small amount of money you can save is not worth the performance hit you would take. That GPU is pretty much the best bang for your buck currently on the market.
    <Pain>

Shield of Telara

In fact, here is a link to a VERY good deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130591
    <Pain>

Telaran

Thanks for the link Riler. I was hesitant to move from the 1GB to the 768MB as well but then I read this. Looks pretty kickass, yes? Seems I could overclock it to outperform the more expensive GPU, and do it safely at that (according to this article anyway).

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...orce-gtx-460/2

EDIT: After looking on the microcenter website there is only a $5 difference between the 1024MB and the 768MB EVGA Nvidia 460 cards. I think I'll just stick with the 1024
    Last edited by BloodandChocolate; 02-11-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Telaran

Thanks for the link Riler. I was hesitant to move from the 1GB to the 768MB as well but then I read this. Looks pretty kickass, yes? Seems I could overclock it to outperform the more expensive GPU, and do it safely at that (according to this article anyway).

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...orce-gtx-460/2

EDIT: After looking on the microcenter website there is only a $5 difference between the 1024MB and the 768MB EVGA Nvidia 460 cards. I think I'll just stick with the 1024
    I am getting similar overclocking results with the card I linked and am very happy with it. The fan gets pretty loud though when it gets warm. I actually picked up a second one since I have an older SLI motherboard. Also the 1GB should still be quite overclockable as well. Id rather save and get different parts from different sources but overall I think you will be quite happy with a 460.
    Last edited by Eboo; 02-11-2011 at 11:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast