+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Processor upgrade, worth it?

Shadowlander

Default Processor upgrade, worth it?

Currently I have a pretty crappy motherboard, http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...GBIG1sp2.shtml.

I have the original processor - a 2-core intel pentium D 3.00ghz.

My question is, should I buy this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115059

or is it too powerful for the motherboard? I compared the new cpu and motherboard and they seem compatible but want to make sure i'm not missing something.

My other question is - If I bought a better motherboard, what kind of differences would I see in general as far as gaming, especially for Rift?

Thanks

I've been discussing this issue with others on this board because my Core 2 Duo E8400 is constantly at pretty much 100% load on both cores in this game, it seems that there are great gains to be had from upgrading to a faster CPU with more cores. As it is, your Pentium D is a fair bit behind my E8400, but I'd advise against a faster dual core and instead going for the fastest quad core you can afford.
    Last edited by Ulfhedjinn; 02-11-2011 at 08:31 AM.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

The problem with the LGA 775 socket was it was used through 3 or 4 generations of CPU, with no concern for compatibility. You may want to look up the mobo's cpu compatibility list before making the purchase.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Anakha View Post
    The problem with the LGA 775 socket was it was used through 3 or 4 generations of CPU, with no concern for compatibility. You may want to look up the mobo's cpu compatibility list before making the purchase.
    Where might I find such a site? And preferably a list with old mobos like mine?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-DoH View Post
    Where might I find such a site? And preferably a list with old mobos like mine?
    Just google your MOBO's model number is the best i can tell you.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Personally I would install a SSD first to see how much that boosts your performance. Normally the best performance boosts for a PC is the following in this order.

1. More memory (4gb minimum)
    2. Solid State Hard Drive (SSD)
    3. GPU (obviously if your GPU is ancient then going from acient to modern can have a significant boost)
    4 CPU (same as GPU a ancient CPU can cause issures)

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Anakha View Post
    That mobo has a 1066 FSB so the fastest CPU he can put on it is that one since the others are 1333 MHZ FSB's. Going with a quad core in this case would be worse because it would be much slower clock speed wise.

Here is what I have found about your motherboard: Revision 1 boards do not support core 2 duo's like the E7600, Revision 2 boards do. So that is what you have to figure out. Is your board rev 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Warpiglet View Post
    Personally I would install a SSD first to see how much that boosts your performance. Normally the best performance boosts for a PC is the following in this order.

3. GPU (obviously if your GPU is ancient then going from acient to modern can have a significant boost)
    The SSD can do ALOT.

Even to a low end computer. Hell even at old macbook.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick494 View Post
    That mobo has a 1066 FSB so the fastest CPU he can put on it is that one since the others are 1333 MHZ FSB's. Going with a quad core in this case would be worse because it would be much slower clock speed wise.

Here is what I have found about your motherboard: Revision 1 boards do not support core 2 duo's like the E7600, Revision 2 boards do. So that is what you have to figure out. Is your board rev 2?
    I updated my bios the other day. So is that what you mean by revised?

Also I found this thread on Tom's Hardware that can be applied to my situation.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284706-28-upgrade
    Last edited by Sinister-DoH; 02-11-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Shield of Telara

No I mean the actual hardware revision of the board. It will say some where on the motherboard ver. 1 or 2

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Warpiglet View Post

SSD's are going to have 0 effect on frame per second.

Also I found this thread on Tom's Hardware that can be applied to my situation.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284706-28-upgrade
    What he means by Rev.2 is that, the maker made a physical board (Rev1) then later released a New Board (same board, with fixes and it is Rev2) It will be written on the motherboard somewhere, stating what revision it is. Google something to the affect of, How can i find the revision on my XXXXX motherboard. Or something like that, and it should tell you where to look, to find what revision it is. Even the mfg site might tell you how to find the revision number.

Speccy http://www.piriform.com/speccy might be able to tell you that.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by osxg33k View Post
    The SSD can do ALOT.

Even to a low end computer. Hell even at old macbook.
    Sorry, SSD?

Shadowlander

Sorry, SSD?
    Its an expensive *** Hard Drive ssd wont help fps at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast