+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HD4870 Crossfire?

Default HD4870 Crossfire?

I have an e8400 with 8gb of RAM and an HD4870

Want to spend very little (under $100)... is it worth buying a second hand HD4870 for Crossfire?
    Or am I CPU limited?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terebro View Post

Want to spend very little (under $100)... is it worth buying a second hand HD4870 for Crossfire?
    Or am I CPU limited?

Thanks
    The video card can handle Rift i know my 4850 can 512 ram.
    I dot know that CPU but Id say Duo Core 3,3 Ghz or so then you are good to go. Not on Ultra but it can look great still.

Open beta is the 15, so try i out dosent it work out Upgrade

Rift Disciple

Im not suire the CPU will be that much of a bottleneck.
    Perhaps in games that are very Multi CPU heavy, such as Civilization 5, where fast Quad cores really help, but overall should be fine.
    You motherboard may be limited as well, depending how its PCI-X lanes are set up. EX. x16 x8/x8 etc.

So there will be a few other factors that determine how much of a gain your particular setup will get out of Crossfire.

Also, keep in the PSU requirements.

Personally, I prefer a single card setup. because
    1) Multiple GPU setups (from either camp) can have thier issues under certain situations.
    2) most single card setups do just fine on thier own. By the time it does need to be upgraded, a faster single card is the better option over Multiple cards.

I have a HD4890 myself, and although it does quite well overall, I do feel its getting time to upgrade. I have considered the exact same thing you are, crossfiring.

But, I think the best bet would be hang in there a bit with that 4870. Put some more money back and look for a HD6970 or a GTX570. This is what I am going to do as well.

It costs more yes but ...

IMHO would be the better route if you can. Either of these will perform just as well as the older crossfire setup, use less power, and run cooler.

Of course, thats just my opinion.
    To each thier own.
    Last edited by CenturyChild; 02-11-2011 at 05:53 AM.
    System Specs:
    MOBO: DFI DK x48
    CPU/RAM: Intel Q9650 @ 3.6 -- 8GB G-Skill Pi 1066 (4x2GB)
    Audio: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (5.1 Speaker setup)
    GPU: Sapphire HD4890 Toxic
    Power: Corsair 650W PSU
    Case: Antec 900
    HDs: Intel 40GB SSDx2 -- 1TB & 640GB WD Black Ed.Spinners
    Display: LG-2453 @ 1920x1080

Thanks for the response guys.

Yeah I run my e8400 at 3.3Ghz and I have no real reason to suspect it's the bottleneck, but it runs at near 100%

I've been down the upgrade parts path before and I want to avoid it. Ie. really dont want to buy a *new* card - just want to supplement what I have.

Motherboard shouldnt be an issue.... X48 Rampage
    PSU 1000w

I've played the last 2 betas and performance was OK, but I never participated in pvp or dungeons etc... just a few rifts.

looking for a cheap upgrade, just unsure if a Xfire is a waste of money.

Thanks for the response guys.

Yeah I run my e8400 at 3.3Ghz and I have no real reason to suspect it's the bottleneck, but it runs at near 100%

I've been down the upgrade parts path before and I want to avoid it. Ie. really dont want to buy a *new* card - just want to supplement what I have.

Motherboard shouldnt be an issue.... X48 Rampage
    PSU 1000w

I've played the last 2 betas and performance was OK, but I never participated in pvp or dungeons etc... just a few rifts.

looking for a cheap upgrade, just unsure if a Xfire is a waste of money.
    TBH If you havent tested the game. Wait to you have played it with the set up you have.

I cant upgrade i got a iMac Ci5 with the 4850 512 HD card and the games RUNS surpriseing well with this setup. And im even able to fraps the game in bootcamp so for me i have no ned to upgrade tbh. Im going to save up for the big Mac Pro

Rift Disciple

The x48 Rampage should be x16/x16 PCI-E lanes.
    So it shouldn't bottleneck the cards themselves at all.

It would be a cheaper solution as to buy a more current generations card, just be aware there might be issues under certain circumstances, with certain games, when running a Crossfiore/SLI system.

Im unsure if RIFT is a problem game in this area or not.

Your call in the end, but I see no reason anything would get bottlenecked.
    You have a good Multi-GPU setup there.

BTW, my 4890 is basically the same as the 4870.
    I run RIFT on Ultra settings, Shadows OFF, and SuperSampling AA.
    It stays between 30-35FPS, which is fine IMHO. Everything is smooth, and not choppy.

Thats at 1920x1080 as well, so if you have a lower resolution, youll be a bit better off.
    Last edited by CenturyChild; 02-11-2011 at 11:10 AM.
    System Specs:
    MOBO: DFI DK x48
    CPU/RAM: Intel Q9650 @ 3.6 -- 8GB G-Skill Pi 1066 (4x2GB)
    Audio: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (5.1 Speaker setup)
    GPU: Sapphire HD4890 Toxic
    Power: Corsair 650W PSU
    Case: Antec 900
    HDs: Intel 40GB SSDx2 -- 1TB & 640GB WD Black Ed.Spinners
    Display: LG-2453 @ 1920x1080

Or am I CPU limited?

Thanks
    The other thing to consider when going into a Xfire setup is many motherboards will not support full 16X when running Xfire. A single GPU will interface at 16X but when you add the second they both will drop down to 8X. so check your motherboard specs. Personally i would just crack open your wallet and get a new GPU.
    Last edited by Warpiglet; 02-11-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Warpiglet View Post
    The other thing to consider when going into a Xfire setup is many motherboards will not support full 16X when running Xfire. A single GPU will interface at 16X but when you add the second they both will drop down to 8X. so check your motherboard specs. Personally i would just crack open your wallet and get a new GPU.
    I can tell you from personal experience the difference from 8X to 16X is very very minimal (about 5%).. think about it this way, one PCIe 2.0 at 8X = one PCIe 1.x at 16x. It's only at 4x do you see any real performance drop. Just look at all the LGA 1156 systems running dual graphics cards and they are hardly hurting
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...&limitstart=13
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2847
    Last edited by SirPent; 02-11-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

Quote Originally Posted by CenturyChild View Post
    The x48 Rampage should be x16/x16 PCI-E lanes.
    So it shouldn't bottleneck the cards themselves at all.

Your call in the end, but I see no reason anything would get bottlenecked.
    You have a good Multi-GPU setup there.

BTW, my 4890 is basically the same as the 4870.
    I run RIFT on Ultra settings, Shadows OFF, and SuperSampling AA.
    It stays between 30-35FPS, which is fine IMHO. Everything is smooth, and not choppy.

Thats at 1920x1080 as well, so if you have a lower resolution, youll be a bit better off.
    Indeed it's x16/x16 but as Warpiglet says I'm pretty sure they go x16/x8 when in Xfire
    Yes I run at 1920x1200 also.

I run everything max with shadows off and Edge Sampling and get 25-30FPS is most places, but I'm worried when it comes to large dungeons and and rifts it will drop below 20.... which I've seen it do already with perhaps 12 in a rift.

I really want to run SuperSampling and get as far above 30FPS as I can get.

Currently running 10.12 cats
    We'll see how we go during OpenBeta.

Thanks again for your help

Shield of Telara

Indeed it's x16/x16 but as Warpiglet says I'm pretty sure they go x16/x8 when in Xfire
    Yes I run at 1920x1200 also.

I run everything max with shadows off and Edge Sampling and get 25-30FPS is most places, but I'm worried when it comes to large dungeons and and rifts it will drop below 20.... which I've seen it do already with perhaps 12 in a rift.

I really want to run SuperSampling and get as far above 30FPS as I can get.

Currently running 10.12 cats
    We'll see how we go during OpenBeta.

Thanks again for your help
    the only way you are going to spend 100 bucks and get a card that can run SSAA is to get another 4870 and I am not sure that they will run SSAA @ that res even xfired. It might almost be better to save another 150 dollars and get a 6850 or 560 Ti though.

try the 11.1 cats they improved my frame rates by about 15% on my AMD card.

+ Reply to Thread