+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Budget build! HELP

Default Thoughts on Budget build! HELP

I will be stealing 2GBs of ram from my current machine to add to this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=G458-0450
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6&sku=B69-0318

What do you think I can expect to see from that or should I just say get a band-aid card for what I have now and wait for something better

Processor Speed: 2.40GHz
    Something to keep in mind with gaming: most games can only use 2 cores, so core speed makes a difference. 2.4 is a really low per-core speed for gaming, especially from an AMD processor. Don't get me wrong, I like AMD, but their chips lack the turbo-boost Intel ones have; so while they're cheaper, they can't boost up a single core to a higher clock speed when needed. 2.4 GHz will stay that way, and that's pretty slow. It may still be a huge upgrade over what you have now, I have no idea, but if you can, try to get something faster.

That said, if you're not looking to play on particularly high settings, you might be all right, and you really can't beat that price. If the computer you have now can run Rift in a way you're comfortable with, though, I'd say save up and upgrade a couple pieces at a time.
    Last edited by Verdandi; 02-11-2011 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdandi View Post
    Something to keep in mind with gaming: most games can only use 2 cores, so core speed makes a difference. 2.4 is a really low per-core speed for gaming. AMD chips also lack the turbo-boost Intel ones have; so while they're cheaper, they can't boost up a single core to a higher clock speed when needed. It may still be a huge upgrade over what you have now, I have no idea, but if you can, try to get something a bit faster.

That said, if you're not looking to play on particularly high settings, you might be all right, and you really can't beat that price. If the computer you have now can run Rift in a way you're comfortable with, though, I'd say save up and upgrade a couple pieces at a time.
    Right now I'm sitting on a Pentium D 3.2GHz 4GB of ram and a Geforce 7300LE with I think 128MB on it...

I'm thinking if I do not get the package above I might just throw a Geforce 210 512MB in it from frys for 50$ that has a 30$ rebate on it I'm sitting around 15 FPS so at the moment so something has to give... lol

>< I just found out that my cpu is 64 bit capable after installing windows 7 32 bit..
    Last edited by Kytin; 02-11-2011 at 03:10 AM.

Well, assuming you can use your current case and such, you could upgrade your motherboard, CPU, and RAM for less than $300. With that graphics card you linked, it'd be under $380 -- which is still only $100 more than you wanted to spend. How tight is the budget?

The 450 is underpowered really, and a 400w PSU is very risky these days. I'd aim higher for both. Take a look at my site and my rank 1 system build if you want truly solid entry level.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Verdandi View Post
    Well, assuming you can use your current case and such, you could upgrade your motherboard, CPU, and RAM for less than $300. With that graphics card you linked, it'd be under $380 -- which is still only $100 more than you wanted to spend. How tight is the budget?
    About 350 I think is all I can pull together at the moment.. and sadly I do not think I can smash any mobo into that dell case :/

If I were you I would upgrade your PSU, get into the 700 watt range, get a good graphics card. That is where you start. Your next step would be to get a SSD. With a superior graphics card, an upgraded PSU to power it and then a Solid State Drive (ssd) you will see a huge performance boost.

Personally I would look at the ATI cards, they are cheaper and perform quite well. My older PC that I gave to my son runs a ATI 4890 OC and a Intel 80gb SSD with 4 gb ram with a 3ghz cpu and he can run Rift with max setting and has no issues at all even with 100 people fighting at a rift. You may still find some ATI 4890's around at your local computer stores. The 4890 was the top of the line for the 4000 series, it is far superior to all but the high end 5000, 6000 series cards.
    Last edited by Warpiglet; 02-11-2011 at 08:40 AM.

Shield of Telara

To the OP...

Please, do not listen to anyone that suggests a SSD in a budget build. They are wrong. Period.

SSDs simply do not provide very much performance gains in gaming.
    Riler - Future Guardian Warladin Knight
    <Pain>

Quote Originally Posted by Warpiglet View Post
    If I were you I would upgrade your PSU, get into the 700 watt range, get a good graphics card. That is where you start. Your next step would be to get a SSD. With a superior graphics card, an upgraded PSU to power it and then a Solid State Drive (ssd) you will see a huge performance boost.

Personally I would look at the ATI cards, they are cheaper and perform quite well. My older PC that I gave to my son runs a ATI 4890 OC and a Intel 80gb SSD with 4 gb ram with a 3ghz cpu and he can run Rift with max setting and has no issues at all even with 100 people fighting at a rift. You may still find some ATI 4890's around at your local computer stores. The 4890 was the top of the line for the 4000 series, it is far superior to all but the high end 5000, 6000 series cards.
    I was thinking about that if I did I think I would possibly go with a 5750 I think it was that someone recommended on another thread they come in around 100-150 and looks like a semi solid card.

What kind of cpu is that 3ghz he has?
    Last edited by Kytin; 02-11-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riler View Post
    To the OP...

Please, do not listen to anyone that suggests a SSD in a budget build. They are wrong. Period.

SSDs simply do not provide very much performance gains in gaming.
    SSD is something I would want but it would be like the last thing I throw into a machine they really only help with load screens when compared to the top of the line standard sata I have now.

At least that is the only place you will really notice it

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kytin View Post
    I will be stealing 2GBs of ram from my current machine to add to this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=G458-0450
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6&sku=B69-0318

What do you think I can expect to see from that or should I just say get a band-aid card for what I have now and wait for something better
    not sure what the total budget is since the CPU combo and stuff is unavailable and not listing a price, but

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.591512 - $302 (I know out of stock currently too)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131330 - $120

422 plus shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick494 View Post
    not sure what the total budget is since the CPU combo and stuff is unavailable and not listing a price, but

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.591512 - $302 (I know out of stock currently too)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131330 - $120

422 plus shipping.
    I was shooting around 350 but I think I might just get a 210 to pull me out of the 15fps range "I can live with 20" and get something like that kit in a month or two than a 460 or 560 a few later

Shield of Telara

I was shooting around 350 but I think I might just get a 210 to pull me out of the 15fps range "I can live with 20" and get something like that kit in a month or two than a 460 or 560 a few later
    spending your money on something now is probably a waste then since there is only 1 beta left. I would save the cash spent on a GT 210 and put it towards something like the kit I just showed you in like 3 weeks when release is here. Sure you might have to struggle through headstart, but spending extra money on something you are going to just replace is probably not going to make your budget when you do a full upgrade all that great.

I mean a GT210 is 35 bucks, that is about 1/2 of what you are short right now to do the 422 build up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick494 View Post
    spending your money on something now is probably a waste then since there is only 1 beta left. I would save the cash spent on a GT 210 and put it towards something like the kit I just showed you in like 3 weeks when release is here. Sure you might have to struggle through headstart, but spending extra money on something you are going to just replace is probably not going to make your budget when you do a full upgrade all that great.

I mean a GT210 is 35 bucks, that is about 1/2 of what you are short right now to do the 422 build up.
    True and I found a GT210 for 20$ I can turn around and sell it for that to my friend for his hp he bought to play wow on when I update it or leave it in this machine for my cousin to use so I don't see it as a total waste ugh I wish that one you linked was not out of stock I could probably swing it right now without the GPU and throw the 210 in it for headstart lol..

Shield of Telara

True and I found a GT210 for 20$ I can turn around and sell it for that to my friend for his hp he bought to play wow on when I update it or leave it in this machine for my cousin to use so I don't see it as a total waste ugh I wish that one you linked was not out of stock I could probably swing it right now without the GPU and throw the 210 in it for headstart lol..
    yea its pretty similar everywhere.

http://www.ascendtech.us/customkitit...TMBMMS760GP945

with a case, 650W PSU, 4GB DDR3, MSI 760GM mobo, Phenom II X4 945 comes out to 375

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast