+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Graphics card concerns

Rift Disciple

Default Graphics card concerns

Hello I just signed up for the pre order of rift as I was feeling a bit bored with any other game ot atm. My lap top is about a year 1/2 old at this point. It is the sony vaio professional edition. I bought it for the fact that it had such high gigs of ram and an insane amount of hard drive space 6 gigs ddr2 and 600 gig respectively. However, after looking at the recomended specs for rift Im concerned my card may not just be up to snuff. It is an ati mobility radeon hd 4650 w/ either 512 mb or 1 gig dedicated memory. It was such a big step up from my last HP laptop that it would be such a shame if it isnt up to par. I had no problem running games like everquest 2 but that probably doesnt take much now a days. Will my amount of ram be enough to compensate for the card or am in for a lag fest and sub par graphics, hazy graphics?

Ascendant

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

Your mem aint going to make much of a difference if any compared to 4Gb or even 2Gb. Your GPU however will run the game, I would be expecting medium/low graphics at around 20ish fps give or take a few. So yeah, not exactly ideal.

Probably a bit of a slideshow during Rift events so get the popcorn out!
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

I have a laptop with a Mobility Radeon HD 5730 (1gb dedicated), i3 330m, and 4GB of RAM with 1366x768 screen resolution and can run ~Medium settings well enough on it (40fps in most areas). Your 4650 isn't terribly much slower than the mine has... I'm going to take a guesstimate that you can run a little below Medium and maintain a decent framerate on your system if your version is GDDR3 for the video card.

COMPARISON: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI...0.13883.0.html vs. http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mob...0.23825.0.html
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 02-10-2011 at 11:34 PM.
    Rig: 256gb SSD, i7 2600K quad-core (w/ HT, 4400mhz), GTX 670 Gigabyte OC WindForce @ 1354core/6510mem, 2560x1600 (Dell 3007wfp-hc S-IPS LCD monitor 30"), 16GB DDR3.
    Double the pixels of a 1920x1200 monitor = yummy graphics! I do love my eye candy...
    GSB, RoS conqueror, DH, GP cleared, 10/11 HK + P3 Akylios pre-nerf, Mage of Wolfsbane

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by deathdodge View Post
    Hello I just signed up for the pre order of rift as I was feeling a bit bored with any other game ot atm. My lap top is about a year 1/2 old at this point. It is the sony vaio professional edition. I bought it for the fact that it had such high gigs of ram and an insane amount of hard drive space 6 gigs ddr2 and 600 gig respectively. However, after looking at the recomended specs for rift Im concerned my card may not just be up to snuff. It is an ati mobility radeon hd 4650 w/ either 512 mb or 1 gig dedicated memory. It was such a big step up from my last HP laptop that it would be such a shame if it isnt up to par. I had no problem running games like everquest 2 but that probably doesnt take much now a days. Will my amount of ram be enough to compensate for the card or am in for a lag fest and sub par graphics, hazy graphics?
    I have the same mobility 4650 on my laptop, only 3 gb ram (vista32bit wont see more) and a slowish cpu (2ghz core 2 duo), you wont play on ultra settings but on mid you get around 40 fps on uncluttered zone, 20 on huge events.
    keep in mind that there's still some strange issue about ati cards, I have also a desktop too with more powerfull processor and more powerfull card (4830, oc to 700mhz) and the game plays slower than on the notebook.
    still investigating about that.

Plane Touched

Most games are primarily written as 32-bit and will not use more RAM then what's programmed in. But the card should be good enough if you can live with subpar graphics.

+ Reply to Thread