+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ups I think I messed up the beta client

Soulwalker

Default Ups I think I messed up the beta client

So I bought the CE version on steam and in a momentary lapse of reason, thinking I was going to save myself a lot of download time I moved the betaclient into steams rift folder and used replace on all conflicts. Did I mess stuff up? Can I play the beta through steam and what happens with the uninstaller of the beta client?

Anyway for the dev team I see shortcuts to some .cfg files in the rift folder that dont work because it uses %APPDATA% and apparantly Win7 is case sensitive so it has to be changed to %AppData%.to work.

Cheers

RIFT Community Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Norcus View Post
    So I bought the CE version on steam and in a momentary lapse of reason, thinking I was going to save myself a lot of download time I moved the betaclient into steams rift folder and used replace on all conflicts. Did I mess stuff up? Can I play the beta through steam and what happens with the uninstaller of the beta client?

Anyway for the dev team I see shortcuts to some .cfg files in the rift folder that dont work because it uses %APPDATA% and apparantly Win7 is case sensitive so it has to be changed to %AppData%.to work.

Cheers
    the shortcuts point to the specific user
    in win7 its /users/(username)/appdata/roaming/rift
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Norcus View Post

Cheers
    WOW steam... should go Direct2Drive.. alot less problems from steams desire to want to know everything about your installed games you buy from them... D2D you download.. you authenticate 1 time and your done.

My youngest bought 2 games from steam... had soooo many problems with them they treat the games you buy from them like apple treats all of there hardware.... mine mine mine mine.... like a insane girlfriend who wants to know everything your doing all the time!

Ive had minimal problems with steam, bought some games off it that i already had, copied the installed files from disk onto my pc then cut/pasted the folder into steamapps/common and then ran the game inside steam let it update a bit, change some files and add the files that steam needs to run it etc and off you go.

Soulwalker

The shortcuts use %APPDATA% by default and did not work. I changed it to %AppData% and they now work. I just mentiuoned this incase some devs read this post.

Never had any issues with steam at all. In any case it is kind of useless to begin spouting D2D fanboi replies since I already payed for the collectors edition on steam.

I just wanted to know if moving the beta client will cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
    WOW steam... should go Direct2Drive.. alot less problems from steams desire to want to know everything about your installed games you buy from them... D2D you download.. you authenticate 1 time and your done.

My youngest bought 2 games from steam... had soooo many problems with them they treat the games you buy from them like apple treats all of there hardware.... mine mine mine mine.... like a insane girlfriend who wants to know everything your doing all the time!
    Way to bring random made up politics in to an unrelated discussion, grats. Steam and Valve as a whole are great trustworthy sources that give small developers the SAME treatment as the large developers. If you're going to sit their and knock them for that, then I'm just not sure how you can come to that conclusion.

To the OP, the Steam client is the launcher for the RELEASE client, which is different from the Beta client, it might work, but that was not a good idea. I would say reinstall the beta client when open beta starts, stop the patcher, copy the data from the steam directory you put there, it hasn't changed since that patcher won't do anything. So after doing that, you can use the beta launcher to fix it all with the repair tool. Should be minimal downloading, problem solved. After that, I would uninstall the release launcher through steam, and delete whatever remains in the folder in steamapps; then simply resintall the steam launcher to be starting from the beginning.
    Last edited by Naria; 02-11-2011 at 09:03 AM.

I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Naria View Post
    To the OP, the Steam client is the launcher for the RELEASE client, which is different from the Beta client, it might work, but that was not a good idea. I would say reinstall the beta client when open beta starts, stop the patcher, copy the data from the steam directory you put there, it hasn't changed since that patcher won't do anything. So after doing that, you can use the beta launcher to fix it all with the repair tool. Should be minimal downloading, problem solved. After that, I would uninstall the release launcher through steam, and delete whatever remains in the folder in steamapps; then simply resintall the steam launcher to be starting from the beginning.
    Thx, good advice. I see now that there are two launchers. One for beta and one for release. I started the release launcher and it says with big letters that THIS IS NOT THE BETA PATCHER

+ Reply to Thread