+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rift For Linux ( wine )

Soulwalker

Default Rift For Linux ( wine )

i run Ubuntu with (wine ) and i have no problems running Wow .. and i found this game tonight and was wondering if anyone knows if it will run under WINE !

Thanks

Soulwalker

Only one way to find out. Install WINE and have a bash at it

Soulwalker

Default It has a wine gold to platinum rating

I have played Rift on a laptop running Archlinux and the latest wine. On higher settings it is unplayable but if the lower graphic setting is enabled it runs better than WoW. The graphics gain a wow quality (low polygon count?) and loses some in game effects. I think Rift has a wider range of what hardware can play it than WoW.

To give some context I have a mobile 2.4 ghz chip and 9800m nvidia graphics.

My husband was able to get Rift running through WINE, using Ubuntu 10.10, though not without messing with it a bit. I'm afraid I don't know exactly what he did, so I'm not much help, but I know it IS possible.

Soulwalker

I have (had) Rift running using Wine quite happily, and used my Wine install to copy over to a Windows partition to try it there. Even the downloader worked fine. I sometimes saw a number of game errors with connecting to the patching process when I hit "Play", but retrying a couple of times normally solved that issue.

I tended to use the low graphics settings simply because Wine doesn't seem to deal very well with the graphic libraries that Rift uses. Advanced settings can be used, but performance really does suffer even on an i7 with a dedicated graphics card.

It would be nice if there was a proper native Linux client. It's incredibly useful being able to easily switch away from Rift to another workspace to look something up, or do something else whilst the game is busy doing stuff - under Windows I can't do this easily.

And given my work situation, all my machines (home and office) are Linux-based, so if I can't play something under Wine, I don't play it.

How did you get rift to work? O.o I've installed wine, and downloaded rift, but it won't play without DirectX which won't install whether i do it through the game or as a download with wine.
    Last edited by Belwickety; 02-28-2011 at 09:36 AM.
    Proud member of The Hammerfist Clan A multi game community.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Belwickety View Post
    How did you get rift to work? O.o I've installed wine, and downloaded rift, but it won't play without DirectX which won't install whether i do it through the game or as a download with wine.
    Use winetricks to install DX3D9

http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks

save that as a file and run sudo chmod +x ./winetricks to make it executable.

The game works pretty much flawlessly in Wine. As long as you install directx9 (easiest way is through winetricks) it works great.

Currently I'm playing using crossover games (uses wine 1.3.9 if i'm not mistaken) on an overclocked gtx460/intel i5 computer. Getting 20-35 fps on ultra with no issues.

One of the community managers is a Linux user and occasionally drops into these threads showering love and penguins. Part of the reason why I love this game :P
    http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    Surfing the net has never been so suite!

Just to clarify on the poster above me, installing direct x 9 in wine using winetricks

type the following into a terminal
    Code:
    wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
    chmod +x winetricks
    sh winetricks d3dx9
    That should do the trick, now you can just do a
    Code:
    wine riftpatch.exe
    and enjoy
    http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    Surfing the net has never been so suite!

+ Reply to Thread