+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone having problems with their ATI HD 5870?

Default Anyone having problems with their ATI HD 5870?

When I first installed the game it told me I needed to update drivers, so I did. Everything seemed to work okay for a while. During last Beta round I was having problems with monitor screen just going to a total grey screen. I could hear the game going, but could do nothing about it. Couldn't toggle out, couldn't get to task manager to kill it, nothing. The only thing I could do was to shut the power off. It did it twice within a 10 minute period, I was able to play for about 12 hours after that with no problems. When I closed the game, my desktop was flickering with colored square things going crazy all over it and I couldn't do anything. Nothing was responding. Any ideas? My computer is only a year old. Not the best PC, but what i could afford:

Studio XPS 9000, Intel Core i7-960 processor (8MB L3 Cache, 3.2 GHz)
    9GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066 MHz
    ATI Radeon HD 5870
    Serial ATA RAID 0 With Dual 500GB Hard Drives
    Windows 7 Premium, 64 Bit

Ascendant

Sounds like your card could possibly be overheating. Have you checked running temps of the card? Or is the card un-useable now?

Re-reading that, you played for 12hrs straight? Jesus champion effort mate.
    Last edited by Gill; 03-22-2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Reply to a post that was removed
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

If your screen went all funny colours (reds and greens) it's probably overheating to the point of having what we call artefacts. Artefacts basically mean your GPU is about to die, if you haven't checked to see if the fan is spinning or full of dust then now is the time before it does it again and never recovers.

If the fan is spinning and isn't full of dust, report back and we'll see what else we can come up with.
    Last edited by Gill; 03-22-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Reply to a post that was removed
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

Soulwalker

This not the issue RIFT the card should be work ok I have the same issue and nothing I've tried has resolved the issue and yes I've tried a nvidia card and some of them have the same issues I get with my ati hd card. Many emails to rift and nothing back at all seems they don't care.

Any other brand new game out my pc plays on full settings but rift just crashes after 5-10 minutes.

I thought I'd tried wow as I'm a huge mmo player and been with wow since day 1 but wanted to change so tried rift and it's content and graphics look nice shame it's not playible.

I've tested my cards in other high end rigs and tried various cards and none seem to play the game stable enough for a good period of time. The cards I have don't play this game well enough but do play other graphical games on maxed out settings without issues. Spoken to support with ATI and NVIDIA and both seem to say the cards are more than able to play this game and that the issue here is RIFTs bad programming and driver issues.

It's a shame the problem has not been fixed and I won't be buying the game unless the issue is sorted before the end of beta testing as I'm not giving trion money for a game I won't be able to play for more than 10 minutes

You may want to revert back to the 10.10e or 11e drivers for that 5870. I'm running one fine but with a few tears once in awhile.

Okay I post this in almost every thread... but... try D3DOverrider if you're experiencing tearing... force v-sync!. OP check your temps for us if you don't mind thanks!
    QX9770~3.8Ghz ♣ CF Sapphire & XFX 5870 ♣ 4GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz♣ 1TB HDD 32 MB Cache 7200 rpm ♣Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 ♣ OCZ 750W

my 5870 runs fine for now (and the last beta)
    Had one major breakdown where i needed to restart, but that was in beta 4 or so.

(i run with the latest driver)
    DawN of a New Day
    addicted to

Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions. It's really appreciated. I cleaned out any dust inside(wasn't much to be seen) and made sure all the fans were working. I'll check temp when Beta starts up again on Tuesday and see what it's running at. Played Warhammer for a year on this particular PC with no problems and this only started happening during the 4th Beta of RIFT. So, I have no way to check for any problems right now.

+ Reply to Thread