+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Desktop under 1500.

Default Desktop under 1500.

Hi all. I want to start saving for a new computer.I like to stream netflix while playing mmorpgs. I very, very rarely. My internet is great. My ISP told me that in March they'll be upgrading me to a 40mbps fiber optic connection. (I'm currently at 20).

I am thinking of going with alienware by dell. Is this a good brand? Or are there other good reputable brands? Please don't tell me to build my own system, I do not have the knowledge or skill to do so.

From what I looked up an i5 core is better then an i7. The options are i3, i5, or i7. From what I'm reading i7 isn't worth the extra money, spend it on ram instead.

I have no idea what to choose for graphics cards. But, I'm betting dual graphic cards are better then single right? Is the CrossfireX ATIRadeon HD 56701GB any good?

For a harddrive, I don't know what to choose. My laptop I've been using as my primary computer for the last 3 years is only 250 gigabytes of hard disk space. I only am using 124 gigabytes so far. So I have plenty of free space. This sins't something I'm worried about. So, is SATA II 3GB/s 7200 RPM okay? What is Raid 0? Or Raid 1+0? What do these 16 MB, 32 MB cache, HDD means? I am not interested in an additional harddrive, rather to use that money for something else.

Are the Killer 2100 Gaming Network card or Killer Xeno cards any good?

Do sound cards make any difference?

I have no idea how to link dell computer etcs. If you all have builds laying around that are good, please let me know. .

explore telara through a photo journey at Traveling Telara. Feel free to submit your screenshot to us.

Quote Originally Posted by ashkir View Post
    I would ignore those, typically a huge waste of money for a gimmick.

For sound quality, absolutely. They also take a little load off the CPU, but not a game-breaking amount.

I keep linking this chart for people, it's a really simplified chart that tells you what sort of computer to be looking for in each price range. It's updated very often. http://tinyurl.com/falconguide If you want to buy a pre-build as opposed to buying the components and building it yourself, or having a friend build it (which I'd recommend), this price guide is still pretty useful but you should add a couple of hundred on to the totals as pre-builds usually charge a slight premium.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

RIFT Community Ambassador

Hi all. I want to start saving for a new computer.I like to stream netflix while playing mmorpgs. I very, very rarely. My internet is great. My ISP told me that in March they'll be upgrading me to a 40mbps fiber optic connection. (I'm currently at 20).

I am thinking of going with alienware by dell. Is this a good brand? Or are there other good reputable brands? Please don't tell me to build my own system, I do not have the knowledge or skill to do so.

From what I looked up an i5 core is better then an i7. The options are i3, i5, or i7. From what I'm reading i7 isn't worth the extra money, spend it on ram instead.

I have no idea what to choose for graphics cards. But, I'm betting dual graphic cards are better then single right? Is the CrossfireX ATIRadeon HD 56701GB any good?

For a harddrive, I don't know what to choose. My laptop I've been using as my primary computer for the last 3 years is only 250 gigabytes of hard disk space. I only am using 124 gigabytes so far. So I have plenty of free space. This sins't something I'm worried about. So, is SATA II 3GB/s 7200 RPM okay? What is Raid 0? Or Raid 1+0? What do these 16 MB, 32 MB cache, HDD means? I am not interested in an additional harddrive, rather to use that money for something else.

I have no idea how to link dell computer etcs. If you all have builds laying around that are good, please let me know. .
    sure alienware is pretty good if you feel you arent able for one reason or another to piece together a computer. i havent been to the alienware site in forever. last i was on their site in fact was when they were their own company. they were always pretty expensive though, doubt much has changed. i think i will go look at it see what they got goin on.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Alienware overcharges imo.
    Dear Africa, you helped me write this...

alien ware tends to overprice stuff alot. If you can build a pc yourself or have one help you i would go with http://tinyurl.com/falconguide with what ever you think you want.

Shadowlander

Origin is a very nice gaming PC boutique that makes top-notch systems. They specialize in overclocking.

A dedicated NIC is an antiquated feature in this day and age where onboard NICs are plenty good enough. In your budget range, a dedicated NIC is out of the question, think of it as an extravagant expense not worth the price unless you have everything else maxed to the teeth.

The ATI 5670 is a main-stream card not designed for gamers. CrossfireX or SLI is not recommended for beginners as there are compatibility issues. I recommend getting a single good card over two mediocre games so that you will be safe in games that do not work well with dual cards.

If you have no idea what RAID means do not even think of touching it. 7200rpm drives are the backbone of most PC's today, at your price range I would recommend one. More than likely they come standard ordering any sort of PC from Dell or Origin.

A lot of your questions are easily handled by a quick chat or call to the customer service of Alienware or Origin. You seem completely new to the PC-buying task, but ask a lot of questions that would only pertain to someone building one from scratch. You don't have to worry about so many technical things and compatibility issues if you buy from a boutique.

RIFT Community Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

after going through and pricing their lowest desktop to less than what i would have liked i came with less than 1500.... and tbh i will stick with building computers. my last computer pricing that i did had more power overall, included the monitor/keyboard/mouse and all (which i skipped in the pricing on alienware), and was less in cost.

yep now i remember why i havent been there in so long.
    Last edited by HeavyMetalLucidity; 02-10-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    sure alienware is pretty good if you feel you arent able for one reason or another to piece together a computer. i havent been to the alienware site in forever. last i was on their site in fact was when they were their own company. they were always pretty expensive though, doubt much has changed. i think i will go look at it see what they got goin on.
    I know a couple of people that have had horrid experience with Alienware, and we are talking $3,000 dollar laptops.

Plus, they overcharge big time.

If you want a desktop, build it yourself. Seriously, its no harder than that Harry Potter lego castle you just put together......

If you want a laptop, Sager makes great gaming laptops. I'm sure there are other good options for gaming laptops as well, but I've only owned Sager's so I can only vouch for them. The last Sager I owned went through 5 years of grueling abuse (lots of overheads in airplane) until the HDD finally had a mechanical failure...which isn't an issue these days due to SSD drives.

Thanks all. .

I am postponing buying a new desktop. My dad buys whatever I want normally, if I keep them reasonable. He just offered me a vacation next month to the place I wanted to go to since I was a kid. :3. I'm taking that offer up!

explore telara through a photo journey at Traveling Telara. Feel free to submit your screenshot to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

AGREE

Cyberpower has amazing comp for the price.
    Why Lie When The Truth Is So Much Fun?

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard
    W7 Home Premium (64 Bit) - i7 Processor 950 @ 3.07Ghz (8 CPUs)
    12 GB Ram 1333/1600 - SLI 2x GTX 460s = 4GB GPU

Rift Disciple

With a $1500 budget, why dont you build your own?

No junk, bloatware, and trialware added to the OS, plus ... every single piece of hardware in the PC will be of a quality build, and in the end last MUCH MUCH longer.

Not random, generic pieces that they got from the lowest bidder.

For $1500, you can build an extremly nice PC, far supierior to any PreBuilt for the same Price.
    Last edited by CenturyChild; 02-11-2011 at 05:58 AM.
    System Specs:
    MOBO: DFI DK x48
    CPU/RAM: Intel Q9650 @ 3.6 -- 8GB G-Skill Pi 1066 (4x2GB)
    Audio: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (5.1 Speaker setup)
    GPU: Sapphire HD4890 Toxic
    Power: Corsair 650W PSU
    Case: Antec 900
    HDs: Intel 40GB SSDx2 -- 1TB & 640GB WD Black Ed.Spinners
    Display: LG-2453 @ 1920x1080

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
    I keep linking this chart for people, it's a really simplified chart that tells you what sort of computer to be looking for in each price range. It's updated very often. http://tinyurl.com/falconguide

If you want to buy a pre-build as opposed to buying the components and building it yourself, or having a friend build it (which I'd recommend), this price guide is still pretty useful but you should add a couple of hundred on to the totals as pre-builds usually charge a slight premium.
    ^^^^
    This

BTW nice link, bookmarked.

+ Reply to Thread