+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GPU Temps, whats considered warm

Telaran

Default GPU Temps, whats considered warm

Hey all,
    i just recently got a new 6850 and i know people talk about GPU's running warm or hot and i was wondering what was considered 'hot' for a gpu and like wise, what is considered warm and cool. so far i've only noticed it get up to 70/71C playing WoW on ultra which only get the fan speed up between 50-60%. i haven't enabled manual fan control yet. just wondering if that temp range is ok or if i should be concerned etc. thanks

Telaran

Most modern day GPU's (including yours) are made to function at temps upwards of 100c. I would say try to stay below 85c for longevity's sake, but don't worry if you hit above that every once in a while.

70-71c aint no thang for that card. If you are uncomfortable with those temps go ahead and manually increase the fan speed, but from a technical stand point those temps are more than acceptable.

Edit: To answer your question, I consider 90+ hot, 70-90 warm, and anything below 70 relatively cool.
    Last edited by Dinian; 02-10-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Sabban View Post
    Hey all,
    i just recently got a new 6850 and i know people talk about GPU's running warm or hot and i was wondering what was considered 'hot' for a gpu and like wise, what is considered warm and cool. so far i've only noticed it get up to 70/71C playing WoW on ultra which only get the fan speed up between 50-60%. i haven't enabled manual fan control yet. just wondering if that temp range is ok or if i should be concerned etc. thanks
    Most modern GPUs normal operating temps are about 55C to 90C, the more elaborate (ie expensive, bigger, costlier) the HSF assembly the cooler the temp however the less room and few components you are likely to fit. It's also a reason why OEM suplied parts (Dell/HP etc) are single slot and run hotter than double/triple slot "custom" coolers seen in higher end/performance parts.
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

Quote Originally Posted by Dinian View Post
    Most modern day GPU's (including yours) are made to function at temps upwards of 100c.
    This. Anything <90 with long gaming sessions and you'll be fine. Don't get too worried if you see it peak higher, as long as it's not a constant.
    Vhoux - Incarnate - Retired '10
    Remedy - Ashstone(PvP) - Guardian - Current
    "Don't try to cover the sky with the palm of your hand"

RIFT Community Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by SirPent View Post
    Most modern GPUs normal operating temps are about 55C to 90C, the more elaborate (ie expensive, bigger, costlier) the HSF assembly the cooler the temp however the less room and few components you are likely to fit. It's also a reason why OEM suplied parts (Dell/HP etc) are single slot and run hotter than double/triple slot "custom" coolers seen in higher end/performance parts.
    i think i would fall over in my chair if i saw my card go above 80 again. last time i saw that my fan died and soon after it went over 105. it was one of those 'OH SHI*!!!" moments since i have mine overclocked. fastest i think i have ever moved to reach that button on the back of the power supply.

normally my card tho loaded down is around 55-58C and not in game more around 40C
    but mines an NVIDIA

if you know everything is working right though in your case and your card is dust free/fan on it is turning good.... then maybe thats just how hot it is. dont let it get over 90c and you will be fine...100-105 is usually the max temp for cards now.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    i think i would fall over in my chair if i saw my card go above 80 again. last time i saw that my fan died and soon after it went over 105. it was one of those 'OH SHI*!!!" moments since i have mine overclocked. fastest i think i have ever moved to reach that button on the back of the power supply.

normally my card tho loaded down is around 55-58C and not in game more around 40C
    but mines an NVIDIA

if you know everything is working right though in your case and your card is dust free/fan on it is turning good.... then maybe thats just how hot it is. dont let it get over 90c and you will be fine...100-105 is usually the max temp for cards now.
    yep, iirc Nvidia GTX200 and 1st gen fermis have a cut off point around 110C until the GPU shuts down (sometimes permanently ;p), ATI has commented that their GPUs are rated for up to 110-120C IIRC. I think this is aimed more towards OEMs such as Dell/HP/Compaq etc that can get by with as cheap a HSF as possible and still remain operational. OEMs are pretty picky about being able to skimp on costs.
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

My old 4870 used to hit the mid 80s (Celsius), hottest running card I have ever owned, my 5850 runs much cooler.

I would personally be wary of buying a card which dips in to the 90s according to review sites.

But, as with most things computer, the cooler the better.
    Last edited by Ulfhedjinn; 02-10-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
    My old 4870 used to hit the mid 80s (Celsius), hottest running card I have ever owned, my 5850 runs much cooler.

I would personally be wary of buying a card which dips in to the 90s according to review sites.

But, as with most things computer, the cooler the better.
    now this is a nvidia card so experiences may vary.
    i had a GTX 295 which is a dual card. that thing was the hottest stock card i ever had. it would hit 76C easily without me even doing anything to it. couldnt overclock it because hell when it got into a game the temp went up to 86C. ironically the card lasted a while. eventually the heat killed it but by that time the 500series was out and the 400series was dropping in price.

so this is basically how the card looked in a nutshell

=================== <-card 1
    |||||||||||||||||||||| <-heatsink/fan
    =================== <- card 2

bein they were sandwhiched together there was so much heat from the 2 cards the cards ran really hot.
    Last edited by HeavyMetalLucidity; 02-10-2011 at 05:58 PM.

now this is a nvidia card so experiences may vary.
    i had a GTX 295 which is a dual card. that thing was the hottest stock card i ever had. it would hit 76C easily without me even doing anything to it. couldnt overclock it because hell when it got into a game the temp went up to 86C. ironically the card lasted a while. eventually the heat killed it but by that time the 500series was out and the 400series was dropping in price.

so this is basically how the card looked in a nutshell

=================== <-card 1
    |||||||||||||||||||||| <-heatsink/fan
    =================== <- card 2

bein they were sandwhiched together there was so much heat from the 2 cards the cards ran really hot.
    That almost sounds like bad mobo design TBH. My MOBO actually leaves enough space for a PCI slot cooler between the cards.

Seriously OP if you are concerned with GPU heat you can get a PCI slot cooler. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835888112 ) Not the most silent solution mind you but it is a bit easier than installing an aftermarket cooler.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

My old GTX 275 was in the 85 - 90 range when playing RIFT.

My new GTX 580 doesn't seem to go over 75 (Fan speeds are never higher than 60%)
    Last edited by Krimian; 02-10-2011 at 06:28 PM.

~ Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For Thou Art Crunchy and Go Well With Ketchup... ~
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.6GHz GPU: Nvidia Gainward GTX 580 GOOD Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR3 1600 PSU: Corsair HX850W

Quote Originally Posted by Anakha View Post
    That almost sounds like bad mobo design TBH. My MOBO actually leaves enough space for a PCI slot cooler between the cards.

Seriously OP if you are concerned with GPU heat you can get a PCI slot cooler. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835888112 ) Not the most silent solution mind you but it is a bit easier than installing an aftermarket cooler.
    lol i need one of them cooler thingies only higher rpm :P
    maximum cooling!!!

...maybe the next system i build i will look into liquid cool.
    Last edited by HeavyMetalLucidity; 02-10-2011 at 06:31 PM.

im idling around 86F or 30-31C is this legit or should it be cooler?

Narwhal Video---------------Narwhal Wiki---------------Fake Narwhal Wiki

maximum cooling!!!

Get an exhaust, Maybe not this one though

~ Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For Thou Art Crunchy and Go Well With Ketchup... ~
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.6GHz GPU: Nvidia Gainward GTX 580 GOOD Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR3 1600 PSU: Corsair HX850W

maximum cooling!!!

Actually what you need is a fan that moves more CFM( cubic foot per minute ). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835119066 is about the highest CFM i could find on the egg, and it is exhaust only.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

I just bought a gtx460 and its working great. My temp after a long play session is around a contant 60. I'm guessing that's pretty good?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast