+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Help me decide NEW COMP!!!

  1. #1
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    74

    Default Help me decide NEW COMP!!!

    Switching form WoW to RIFT and getting a new comp. This is what i have so far check it out and see if i should change anyhting. Remember cost is an issue. This system as it is is costing about 1300 bucks.


    Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Mid-Tower Case [-65]
    Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
    Cooling Fan: Intel LGA1366 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink [-20]
    Motherboard: (2-Way SLI Support) Asus Sabertooth X58 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3 FCLGA1366 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, SATA-II RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
    Motherboard Expansion Card: None
    Memory: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+98] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
    Dedicated PHYSX Card: None
    Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
    Power Supply Upgrade: 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+27]
    Hard Drive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-18] (Single Hard Drive)
    Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
    Optical Drive 2: None
    Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    LCD Monitor: 22" Widescreen 1680x1050 TFT Active Matrix LCD Display [+159]
    Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    Network Switch: None
    Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
    Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
    USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    Floppy: None
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)



    let me know your thoughts

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple Suggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freakinout View Post
    Switching form WoW to RIFT and getting a new comp. This is what i have so far check it out and see if i should change anyhting. Remember cost is an issue. This system as it is is costing about 1300 bucks.


    Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Mid-Tower Case [-65]
    Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
    Cooling Fan: Intel LGA1366 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink [-20]
    Motherboard: (2-Way SLI Support) Asus Sabertooth X58 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3 FCLGA1366 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, SATA-II RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
    Motherboard Expansion Card: None
    Memory: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+98] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
    Dedicated PHYSX Card: None
    Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
    Power Supply Upgrade: 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+27]
    Hard Drive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-18] (Single Hard Drive)
    Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
    Optical Drive 2: None
    Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    LCD Monitor: 22" Widescreen 1680x1050 TFT Active Matrix LCD Display [+159]
    Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    Network Switch: None
    Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
    Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
    USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    Floppy: None
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)



    let me know your thoughts

    Wall of copy paste crit me for 30k

  3. #3
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spring Hill, FL
    Posts
    32

    Default

    All that money for a computer with that much graphical power and you only intend to play at 1680x1050? I'd upgrade that monitor

  4. #4
    Telaran Chais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    49

    Default Sandy Bridge MB Recalls Don't Buy Any i7 2400-2600k Chips

    Whatever you do, do not get any of the new i7 Sandy Bridge motherboards...currently they all have issues with the USB controller I believe, Intel has issued a recall on all Sandy Bridge MB at this time. Newegg pulled all their SB boards from their website. So this means no i7 2400-2600 series chips. I was about to buy a SB i7 2600k until I heard about the recall. I can't find the article now as Intel is probably keeping this on the low.
    CPU: AMD 1090T @ 4.01 GHZ (21.0 c)- MB: Asus Crosshair Formula IV - MEM: Mushkin Silverline 8 GB DDR 3 1333 MHZ - GPU: AMD Sapphire 6970 @ 950/1450 MHZ (45.0 c)- MON: Asus 24" x 3 Eyefinity
    Solo LVL 50 Inquisitor - Group LVL 50 Warden - PvP LVL 50 Inquisitor

  5. #5
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freakinout View Post
    Floppy: None


    For a rig like that, i dont understand why you would save money on getting a 500gb HD instead of 2xSSD's, atleast get a 1TB, it's about the same price.
    And the monitor, whats the point with great graphics if you can't see it? 24" + the monitor must be able to view in 1920x1080, FULL HD!
    Last edited by Mahitto; 02-10-2011 at 01:50 PM.

  6. #6
    Champion Señor Kalivos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Deepstrike
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chais View Post
    Whatever you do, do not get any of the new i7 Sandy Bridge motherboards...currently they all have issues with the USB controller I believe, Intel has issued a recall on all Sandy Bridge MB at this time. Newegg pulled all their SB boards from their website. So this means no i7 2400-2600 series chips. I was about to buy a SB i7 2600k until I heard about the recall. I can't find the article now as Intel is probably keeping this on the low.
    An issue easily bypassed spending $20 or not using the Sata II ports. Ohnoes. And they're not "keeping it on the low", it's been on every freaking computer site for nearly two weeks now.

  7. #7
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Señor Kalivos View Post
    An issue easily bypassed spending $20 or not using the Sata II ports. Ohnoes. And they're not "keeping it on the low", it's been on every freaking computer site for nearly two weeks now.
    So what should i do? I dont know much about computers or even know what a sata port is, kinda my whole point in posting this on here.
    Last edited by Freakinout; 02-10-2011 at 01:51 PM.

  8. #8
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freakinout View Post
    Switching form WoW to RIFT and getting a new comp. This is what i have so far check it out and see if i should change anyhting. Remember cost is an issue. This system as it is is costing about 1300 bucks.


    Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Mid-Tower Case [-65]
    Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
    Cooling Fan: Intel LGA1366 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink [-20]
    Motherboard: (2-Way SLI Support) Asus Sabertooth X58 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3 FCLGA1366 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, SATA-II RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
    Motherboard Expansion Card: None
    Memory: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+98] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
    Dedicated PHYSX Card: None
    Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
    Power Supply Upgrade: 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+27]
    Hard Drive: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-18] (Single Hard Drive)
    Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
    Optical Drive 2: None
    Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    LCD Monitor: 22" Widescreen 1680x1050 TFT Active Matrix LCD Display [+159]
    Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    Network Switch: None
    Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
    Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
    USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    Floppy: None
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)



    let me know your thoughts
    Few things you might consider

    1) although sandy bridge does currently have issues they are much faster than the standard i7 9xx procs, if you're not in a rush you might wait a month or two... at a minimum you will see the i7 9xx boards and procs drop in price

    2) I would look for a better drive, that will be your largest bottleneck, current Solid states offer a good performance boost and prices are becoming reasonable. At a minimum I would consider doing a raid 0 with more than 1 disk or very very miniumum a 10k spin.

    3) If you want to overclock your processor at all you will likely find that the intel heat sinks wont cut it, a good after market heatsink can make a huge difference if you wanted to look into overclocking.

    If you haven't already, check out tomshardware, great reasource before buying a new system.
    Last edited by tviking; 02-10-2011 at 01:55 PM.

  9. #9
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    74

    Default

    also I should point out this build is coming from http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_XT/

  10. #10
    Telaran Chais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Señor Kalivos View Post
    An issue easily bypassed spending $20 or not using the Sata II ports. Ohnoes. And they're not "keeping it on the low", it's been on every freaking computer site for nearly two weeks now.
    So you want people to spend 300$+ dollars on SB boards that have defective Sata II ports and spend another 20$ to bypass the broken part? Tell me again why people should pay hard earned cash so they can have a defective MB or to not use something that is supposed to work on it? You are such a scholar you make total sense lol move on troll...
    Last edited by Chais; 02-10-2011 at 02:41 PM.
    CPU: AMD 1090T @ 4.01 GHZ (21.0 c)- MB: Asus Crosshair Formula IV - MEM: Mushkin Silverline 8 GB DDR 3 1333 MHZ - GPU: AMD Sapphire 6970 @ 950/1450 MHZ (45.0 c)- MON: Asus 24" x 3 Eyefinity
    Solo LVL 50 Inquisitor - Group LVL 50 Warden - PvP LVL 50 Inquisitor

  11. #11
    Champion Señor Kalivos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Deepstrike
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chais View Post
    So you want people to spend 300$+ dollars on SB boards that have defective Sata II ports and spend another 20$ to bypass the broken part? Tell me again why people should pay hard earned cash so they can have a defective MB or to not use something that is supposed to work on it? You are such a scholar you make total sense lol move on troll...
    I'd rather spend $180 on a SB board, not $300, and just not use the defective ports all together. If it's really that big of a problem for someone, they can always send it in for replacement. Not like it's a big deal or anything.

  12. #12
    Champion Señor Kalivos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Deepstrike
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Seriously, $300 on an SB board? Which boards were you looking at?

  13. #13
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chi-Town
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Señor Kalivos View Post
    Seriously, $300 on an SB board? Which boards were you looking at?
    I am guessing something along the lines of the Asus Rampage, Gigabyte G1/UD7, MSI Big Bang.. ie NOT an 1155 "beginner" Sandy Bridge motherboard.
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

  14. #14
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Do youself a favor and wait to base your new PC around an i5-2600k and a GTX560 or 570. Nobody in their right mind buys a 480 anymore, and it would be equally crazy to buy an old i7 CPU.
    Riler - Future Guardian Warladin Knight
    <Pain>

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chais View Post
    Whatever you do, do not get any of the new i7 Sandy Bridge motherboards...currently they all have issues with the USB controller I believe, Intel has issued a recall on all Sandy Bridge MB at this time. Newegg pulled all their SB boards from their website. So this means no i7 2400-2600 series chips. I was about to buy a SB i7 2600k until I heard about the recall. I can't find the article now as Intel is probably keeping this on the low.
    Nah they were quite open about it.

    It was the SATA 2 ports that had the issue, although not everyone or all setups would experience it.

    Regardless, everything was recalled, and are no longer being sold.
    The issue has been fixed, and will be back out on the marke at the end of the month, last I heard.

    The problem was Not the CPUs, they are fine.
    It was jsut the P67 SATA ports.


    If you are interested in Sandy Bridge, Jsy wait until the end of the month as thats when the fixed version will be back out.
    System Specs:
    MOBO: DFI DK x48
    CPU/RAM: Intel Q9650 @ 3.6 -- 8GB G-Skill Pi 1066 (4x2GB)
    Audio: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (5.1 Speaker setup)
    GPU: Sapphire HD4890 Toxic
    Power: Corsair 650W PSU
    Case: Antec 900
    HDs: Intel 40GB SSDx2 -- 1TB & 640GB WD Black Ed.Spinners
    Display: LG-2453 @ 1920x1080

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts