+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Decent PC, only RIFT runs meh on my box

Soulwalker

Default Decent PC, only RIFT runs meh on my box

So here are my specs and I'm not sure why RIFT FPS dogs down quite a bit. It would be nice it we could get a timed benchmark demo for RIFT to test out our systems. I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU to quad core, but I don't know if it will really help and do I want to drop $330.00?

CPU: e8500 3.16 OC'd to 4.275
    8 gigs PC2-8500 running at 1080 DDR2
    Gigabyte GTX 560TI
    Vista 64 bit

Do you think upgrading to quad core would help? It seems like there is a bottleneck and I can't figure it out. All my other games runs really well on high settings. Rift bogs down horribly in rifts with others or bigger raids. I understand it will ,but I'm bogging down to like 5 fps or less. I'd say it could be windows, but my other games run fine....

Any ideas?

SF

My thread is pretty similar to yours, I am running an E8400 and ATI HD5850. I get 30fps when nothing is happening but it is like running through treacle in rifts, my two cores seem to be pretty much maxed out in terms of utilisation and I'm pretty much heart-set on getting an i5 2500K now (I was anyway, but now I have an excuse).
    Last edited by Ulfhedjinn; 02-10-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

Do you get a gain in FPS when you reduce the resolution? If no then it is your CPU.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 02-10-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Soulwalker

Hmm, I have to stick with lga775 socket. I don't want to upgrade my whole mobo and RAM. I think I may just get a quad core CPU, but I hear of people with way less cpu and video card then me running much better. It makes no sense!

SF

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    Do you get a gain in FPS when you reduce the resolution? If no then it is your CPU.
    I need to check that, unfortunately I have to wait until BETA.

SF

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    One of the graphics settings on high+ uses a lot of processing power. You would be fine right until you hit something like a major rift with lots of players and spell effects. Any quad core will remove that problem. We didn't see a difference from a x4 640 to a OC x4 955 running 4GB RAM and a HD 6870 on default ULTRA. The x2 240 and 250 both hit walls past high settings in heavy zones.

Edit** I agree with Forum Troll. (if that was confusing)
    Last edited by Zidaen; 02-10-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zidaen View Post
    One of the graphics settings on high+ uses a lot of processing power. You would be fine right until you hit something like a major rift with lots of players and spell effects. Any quad core will remove that problem. We didn't see a difference from a x4 640 to a OC x4 955 running 4GB RAM and a HD 6870 on default ULTRA.
    Do you know which setting that is exactly? Is it spell effects?

thanks!

SF

Telaran

No, I don't remember. It's something that by default is off on medium. The first Saturday I work after launch we plan on building a few test systems and recording the results. The issue is, the next beta the days I work I actually have something to do and can't mess around.

You can set your self to medium, then slowly increase settings. The issue is, you can only really test in a waterfront and even that's not as good as checking at a rift invasion with 40+ people casting spells.
    Last edited by Zidaen; 02-10-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zidaen View Post
    No, I don't remember. It's something that by default is off on medium. The first Saturday I work after launch we plan on building a few test systems and recording the results. The issue is, the next beta the days I work I actually have something to do and can't mess around.
    It sounds like I just need to buy the q9650. do you think that will do the trick for me? I'd hate to waste $330 when I can put that towards a new mobo, cpu, and ram.

SF

+ Reply to Thread