+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 64-bit OS and ram

Shadowlander

Default 64-bit OS and ram

Is having a 64-bit OS the only way to maximize your RAM? I have 32-bit winxp and got 4gb of ram but it only reads 3.2.

Is there anything I can do to get full use of the 4GB ram on a 32-bit winxp OS?

Telaran

Not that I know of. Would be much much better to upgrade OS to Vista or Win 7 as XP is no longer supported by Microsoft (no updates/fixes) for it for the past year from what I have been reading.
    Last edited by Acornia; 02-10-2011 at 10:03 AM.

You have to use a 64 bit os to go above 4 GB of memory, as a 32 bit OS cannot address that much.
    upgrade OS to Vista
    No upgrade to 7 64 bit.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

There is not in windows, technically 32-bit CAN support large address space, but the NT Kernel doesn't particularly like it. It was more of a Linux thing. Basically ,to address anything past that, you will need a 64-bit OS. And frankly, you should not be running Windows XP anymore if you have a machine capable of running this game especially.

In the windows Vista days... I'll 100% give you that one. But Windows 7 is miles ahead of Vista, and even XP. I would say it's time to move on =] 64-bit support was quite terrible in XP anyway. Though this might have changed since lats I actively used it.

If you're a College student, or similar, you can generally get a copy of Windows 7 for $20~ if not even free at some schools depending on their level of partnership with Microsoft (shudder). If not, there are plenty of upgrade deals out there still.

I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

Shadowlander

Yep. After seeing so many people frustrating with Vista, I never upgraded. Just stuck with XP. Then the years went on and XP seems ancient. I understand how old XP is now, however it is established and maximized with all the patches and service packs they came out with. So at least its not still a work in progress. I rarely have a problem with XP and hate to upgrade, but it may be time.

Do any of you know a site for a cheap upgrade to windows 7?

32 bit operating systems can only handle 4.0gb of ram. but that's the TOTAL, so if your video card, sound card have their own ram... then you will actually have windows utilizing less of your memory in 32bit.

if your video card has 1gb and you have 4 installed ona 32 bit system = 3gb ram available

Version Limit on X86 (32 bit) Limit on X64
    Windows 7 Ultimate 4 GB 192 GB
    Windows 7 Enterprise 4 GB 192 GB

There is more @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/aa366778.aspx. That being said this total does not include just RAM but video memory, Virtual memory paging files, PCI memory range etc. if you want/need a more in depth explanation : http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/c...confusion/3124

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116754

This is the OEM version as i do not believe there is a upgrade path from XP to 7
    Last edited by Anakha; 02-10-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-DoH View Post
    Yep. After seeing so many people frustrating with Vista, I never upgraded. Just stuck with XP. Then the years went on and XP seems ancient. I understand how old XP is now, however it is established and maximized with all the patches and service packs they came out with. So at least its not still a work in progress. I rarely have a problem with XP and hate to upgrade, but it may be time.

Do any of you know a site for a cheap upgrade to windows 7?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116754

It's still kind of pricey, it looks like a lot of the old upgrade discounts have stopped.

Again, if you happen to be a student, your bets bet is getting a copy through your school, it's super cheap. If not, there are other options, it's unlikely, but if you're a member of the Microsoft developer network you can get a copy for free or very cheap.

That is the OEM version, meaning you don't get any fancy packaging and will have to completely reinstall, though you can backup a lot of your games and things of that nature manually.

Edit: Whoops, previous poster beat me to the link while this sat on another tab.
    Last edited by Naria; 02-10-2011 at 10:44 AM.

I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

+ Reply to Thread