+ Reply to Thread

Thread: List of ideas for Public Access APIs

Default List of ideas for Public Access APIs

This is NOT RELATED TO ADDONS.

Thought I'd extend an old thread we didn't get much action on: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...6-External-API

I wanted to come up with a considerable list of ideas and their implementations/usages for what could be accomplished by making some data public.

First a basic list:
    *External Login to the Friends/Chat service
    *External information related to the auction house, items listed etc (does not extend to remotely USING the Auction House)
    *Automatic exporting of Character information (Gear, what stats they have total, etc etc)
    *Exporting of information related to character customization.
    *Information on guild, their progression, member count, quest trackers, member successes, etc.
    *Feed system for personal/guild accomplishments, achievements, new gear looted, etc.

DISCLAIMER: These are just ideas, they are just jumping out of my brain now, and are not fully formed. I write these as what I would like to see community sites able to do. These items, in my mind, would create stunning, powerful websites for Rift, and be a walking PR machine for it. I doubt any of these will be implemented very soon, if ever, but I feel most of them are vital to getting ahead of the curve and letting us explore our creativity.

For all of these items we can have personal PRIVATE API keys for access, generated for us, for us to keep safe and secret and only use when developing our own applications, use on our guild sites, and so on; also we have PUBLIC API keys to only share with services we trust. These public API keys can be created and destroyed as we wish to allow access and revoke access from any number of services, while the private API key is static and should never be used for anything except your own development. Potentially ONLY allow these to be given to approved developers.

Now to go in to a bit of detail on all of these:
    External Login to the Friends/Chat service:
    This can be done one of two ways, the simple way is a Trion official client or web app that allows us to see our friends, join chat channels, guild, what-have-you, and chat.

This can also be done right for third-party use, though generally not. Reread the above paragraph related to the API keys, if you would. Now, think about it, we provide that key, and login through Trions servers directly. This is easily comparable to what Facebook is doing, in a simpler sense. Once we do this, in a VERY general sense, we allow the site to manipulate the design, layout and so forth, but still the data is 100% handled by Trion... Naturally this is a riskier model, and prone to exploitation, as the Facebook model is. As innovative as this would be, creating a social network AROUND a popular MMO... it would be risky and take time and effort to secure in ways I don't even have time to explain in this post. Essentially making is so the site only has an API to pass information from their prittified UI to Trion for chat. Again, I don't really think this is a good thing short term, please don't rip in to this idea too much, it's not very evolved.
    Automatic exporting of Character information:
    This one is pretty straightforward, allow gear, stat information, and all things related to be used by third parties via public API keys, you give a site the rights to scan for your accounts characters, or even individual characters, then it's in the database. This could be used in conjunction with databases of items to show us that there's better available gear out there, and how to obtain it. I know a lot of you guys hate on this concept, but it's pretty cool as a developer =] Another tidbit that just jumped to me, would be the ability to export talent builds and share them. This would be great. Granted, I know it's pretty easy to recreate it on Zam or something to share with your friends or the forum. But it's another one of those convenience things.
    Exporting of information related to character customization:
    This one is more just cool than anything else. Allow us to export either via API, or even local flatfile, the customization that makes our character, skin color, eye color, face structure, let us share these with others directly and allow us to modify eachother's designs. This is a REALLY cool feature, simple as it may be, entire communities could arise out of this alone!
    Information on guild, their progression, member count, quest trackers, member successes, etc.:
    Here, I'm talking an achievement feed, things you as a character or guild have accomplished that you should be proud for. Whether it's completing all the quests in Freemarch, or clearing the new Raid. We should be able to use this information directly and show it off. This is another one of those things that would go great with the other features for a fully functional site dedicated to the game. And, again, a controversial thing, this is imperative for guild progress tracking. Say what you will about what it's done to other games, but people want it.

Do any developers, or even users have more thoughts on what they would like to see accessible to people developing services around the game?

I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

No thoughts?

I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

+ Reply to Thread