+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Actual Rift Benchmarks

  1. #1
    Champion of Telara Ulfhedjinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,142

    Question Actual Rift Benchmarks

    Hey guys,

    I've done some Googling and searched around this forum, but can't find what I am looking for. Has anybody on here, or any review sites, done any actual benchmarks on Rift on various graphics cards and CPUs? I'm due for upgrades, mainly with Rift in mind, but information on what to do is pretty sparse.

    Current system: -
    Intel C2D E8400 (Wolfdale) @ stock 3GHz
    4GB Generic DDR2-800 memory
    ATI HD 5850 1GB
    Windows 7 x64

    I was considering upgrading to Sandy Bridge anyway, I'm just waiting to see what happens with this chipset stuff, but I'm feeling the urge more now because I don't think this game is optimised for dual core CPUs. My performance is inconsistent (25-30fps on max with shadows or AA off, no huge framerate gains if I turn the game down to minimum) and my CPU is always running at pretty much 100% utilisation on both cores, even if nothing is happening.

    I don't think I'll need to upgrade my graphics card, but I would if benchmarks showed any significant gains.

    Regards,
    Ulfhedjinn.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

  2. #2
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Try to turn off the cpu that is at 100% and then ils will go on the others you have. After that bring it back on .
    One guys at my job have done this and he said all the cpu have gone to 50%.

  3. #3
    Champion of Telara Ulfhedjinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gargamelus View Post
    Try to turn off the cpu that is at 100% and then ils will go on the others you have. After that bring it back on .
    One guys at my job have done this and he said all the cpu have gone to 50%.
    But it's a dual-core CPU, I would then essentially be running it on a single core.

    The game is using almost 100% of both cores, not just one core.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default

    oh ! Sorry maybe Im cause I just woke up :P
    Then u really nned to change it.

  5. #5
    Champion of Telara Ulfhedjinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    Yeah, I am thinking the i5 2500K looks good and wanted one for a while. I just hope they sort out this chipset issue soon.

    It'd also be nice if anyone has any experience of upgrading from an E8400 or similar to an i5 during the Rift betas, I'd love to see some actual performance figures.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Id go if I were you with a I7 socket 1366 cause of the triple channel memory. The I5 don't have that on socket 1156 whatever is a I5 or I7 on this socket is only 2 channel memory.

  7. #7
    Plane Touched Melnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
    ATI HD 5850 1GB
    I run on ultra with that graphics card. You are right in thinking you should not have to upgrade it.

  8. #8
    Shadowlander oljemannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NOR
    Posts
    37

    Default

    The upgrades your mentioning would probably increase the performance, but its known that Rift isnt THAT optimised yet.
    The cpu and that gfx card should on paper have no trouble whatsoever running rift on ultra with a good and stable fps.
    Did you download the 11.1 driver? I guess you have, thats like the first thing one does.
    Last edited by oljemannen; 02-10-2011 at 09:16 AM.
    I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?

  9. #9
    Champion of Telara Ulfhedjinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melnock View Post
    I run on ultra with that graphics card. You are right in thinking you should not have to upgrade it.
    Quote Originally Posted by oljemannen View Post
    The upgrades your mentioning would probably increase the performance, but its known that Rift isnt THAT optimised yet.
    ive seen several posts on this forum saying that they run the game on ultra with the ATI HD 5850 1GB card though!
    The cpu and that gfx card should on paper have no trouble whatsoever running rift on ultra
    Did you download the 11.1 driver? I guess you have, thats like the first thing one does.
    Hey guys,

    Yeah my 5850 runs on max + supersampling with shadows off at about 30fps, this dips noticeably during rift events but that's probably one of those things no computer could deal with at this point. I am indeed using the 11.1 Catalysts, and I also notice my GPU is at 99% utilisation according to CCC which had me wondering about where my bottleneck might be.

    Since starting the thread I did compare the 5850 to the 6950 and 560ti or whatever on Anandtech Bench (I've not kept up with graphics card news for a while) and it seems I should only really expect an increase of about 12%, and not much difference at all in many titles, so I think I am going to hold off on any GPU upgrade for this generation.

    Do you think I'd see anywhere near 60fps (out of rifts) with an i5 2500K, or am I asking too much? I can almost feel the agony my old E8400 is going through with both cores at almost 100% constantly, my character could be stood in a barren area of a zone with hardly any mobs around and it's still almost 100% on both cores. As such I can't help but wonder if my CPU is massively bottlenecking me and slashing my framerate, I can lower my settings to minimum and still not get much over 60fps.
    Last edited by Ulfhedjinn; 02-10-2011 at 09:20 AM.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default

    The bottleneck is your CPU. I'm pretty sure of it.
    If it is at 100% and the GPU too i think it speak for itself.

  11. #11
    Shadowlander oljemannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NOR
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
    Hey guys,

    Yeah my 5850 runs on max + supersampling with shadows off at about 30fps, this dips noticeably during rift events but that's probably one of those things no computer could deal with at this point. I am indeed using the 11.1 Catalysts, and I also notice my GPU is at 99% utilisation according to CCC which had me wondering about where my bottleneck might be.

    Since starting the thread I did compare the 5850 to the 6950 and 560ti or whatever on Anandtech Bench (I've not kept up with graphics card news for a while) and it seems I should only really expect an increase of about 12%, and not much difference at all in many titles, so I think I am going to hold off on any GPU upgrade for this generation.

    Do you think I'd see anywhere near 60fps (out of rifts) with an i5 2500K, or am I asking too much? I can almost feel the agony my old E8400 is going through with both cores at almost 100% constantly, my character could be stood in a barren area of a zone with hardly any mobs around and it's still almost 100% on both cores. As such I can't help but wonder if my CPU is massively bottlenecking me and slashing my framerate.
    The change of gfx card would be minimal, i think its the cpu having a hard time keeping up. Mine sure is struggling like a madman. (E6850 dualcore) constantly at 100%, lol. I run a hd 4890 card. I peak MAX 40 fps outside rifts, doesnt have anything to with the topic here, but.. just saying.
    You will get an increase with a new cpu, you will probably peak 60 fps outside rifts, but it'll probably jump between 40-60 fps. But thats awesome until the optimise their game engine even more.
    Last edited by oljemannen; 02-10-2011 at 09:26 AM.
    I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?

  12. #12
    Champion of Telara Forum Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,254

    Default

    Sandy bridge is what you need to buy. Nothing else on the market even comes close, even with the chipset flaw (which is easily fixed or avoided for anywhere from free to $20)

    If you get the same FPS at low resoultion as you do at higher ones, it's your CPU.
    Last edited by Forum Troll; 02-10-2011 at 09:32 AM.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

  13. #13
    Champion of Telara Ulfhedjinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oljemannen View Post
    The change of gfx card would be minimal, i think its the cpu having a hard time keeping up. Mine sure is struggling like a madman. (E6850 dualcore) constantly at 100%, lol. I run a hd 4890 card. I peak MAX 40 fps outside rifts, doesnt have anything to with the topic here, but.. just saying.
    You will get an increase with a new cpu, you will probably peak 60 fps outside rifts, but it'll probably jump between 40-60 fps. But thats awesome until the optimise their game engine even more.
    40-60fps would be a dream come true compared to my current performance. 30fps when nothing is happening is okay, but 20fps and lower in rifts can be a ball-ache, when it's one of those proper invasions and full raids are going at it I daren't even look at the framerate as it's probably in the low teens at most.

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    Sandy bridge is what you need to buy. Nothing else on the market even comes close, even with the chipset flaw (which is easily fixed or avoided for anywhere from free to $20)

    If you get the same FPS at low resoultion as you do at higher ones, it's your CPU.
    Yeah if I were to upgrade my CPU it would be an SB i5 2500K, without a doubt. The price is right and the benchmarks are incredible, even in games I once thought were more GPU bound.

    BTW I also did have a minimal difference in FPS between resolutions, utterly minimal. Bottlenecking is definitely sounding certain, I could clock my E8400 up to 3.8GHz and see if there's any improvement but I had to take off my Noctua cooler to fit it in a HTPC case so I can't be arsed faffing about.
    Last edited by Ulfhedjinn; 02-10-2011 at 09:44 AM.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple Leedrei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    117

    Default

    I had C2D E8400 @3600 , 4 GB corsair ddr 2 800 and ati 6850 OC .. i played rift at 1920 X 1080 ultra sets no shadows and AA and i got 20 - 63 fps i posted on thread a few days ago screens also etc

    With the new cfg i didnt played RIFT yet .. im waitin for 15 th
    Amd Phenom II X4 955 BE @3,6 Ghz // Gigabyte MA770T-UD3 AM3 //4 GB ddr 3 Kingmax Mars @1333 Mhz DC // MSI HD 6850 OC edition 820 - 4400 Mhz//High Power Performance Series 600 W//Case TAGAN A+ Curbic 2 X 180 mm fans , 1 X 140 mm fan//WD 250 KS Caviar @ 16 Mb //LG Flatron W2243S 22"// Plantronics Gamecome Headset //

  15. #15
    Champion of Telara Ulfhedjinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leedrei View Post
    I had C2D E8400 @3600
    i got 20 - 63 fps
    Yeah must definitely be CPU limitation then TBH.

    I have half a mind to bench with my CPU at stock and then clocked when Tuesday comes...
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts