+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The "Will My PC Run This?" Answer Thread

Era
    Champion of Telara

Exclamation The "Will My PC Run This?" Answer Thread

First, the purpose of this thread is to help people understand the system requirements and what exactly is "needed" to run RIFT at a decent framerate. Yes, it's graphics intensive. Yes, you'll need to upgrade that 5 year old card...but you don't need bleeding edge. Here's the copy/paste requirements:

What are the system requirements for RIFT?
    Minimum System Specification

Operating system: Windows XP, Vista or 7
    Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or better
    Memory: 2 GB
    Hard disk space: 15.0 GB available
    Video: Nvidia GeForce FX 5900, ATI/AMD Radeon X300, Intel GMA X4500 or better.
    Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
    DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
    Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem or other high speed connection)

Recommended System Specification

Operating system: Windows XP, Vista or 7
    Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or better
    Memory: 4 GB
    Hard disk space: 15.0 GB available
    Desktop Video: Nvidia GTS 250 or better
    Notebook Video: Nvidia GTX 200M series or better
    Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
    DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
    Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem or other high speed connection)

The card mentioned as recommended is this one. Anyone building a PC can easily see that this is a standard mid-end video card. You can find these and others similar to it for a fairly cheap buy. The 2.2 GHz Duo is basically standard in all PCs built after 2009 (ish), but you'll run into problems even with recent laptops in that department. Otherwise, if you meet these requirements you'll be sealing those rifts like a pro.

Also, framerate. The lag is noticeable below 30 FPS...but I don't see much of a difference after that. Although we do shoot for the high numbers, if it looks smooth, you don't need an upgrade. You don't need 60 FPS in every game you play if that means spending $200+ on a new card.

That said, hope people find this useful.

Prepare for a flood of people posting system specs asking if their system will run the game.

Era
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Señor Kalivos View Post
    Prepare for a flood of people posting system specs asking if their system will run the game.
    Might as well be one thread rather than most of this forum, eh?

Shield of Telara

how about if they just go to www.canirunit.com

Era
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick494 View Post
    how about if they just go to www.canirunit.com
    The java applet hates me for whatever reason.

Edit: Also, that site seems to think my graphics card (ATI 3850) is way above the recommended...yeah, no. It's an okay site, but not a 100% reassuring one.
    Last edited by Era; 02-09-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Ran my specs through Can You Run it? and it says I pass all Recommended requirements

Riddle me this: Why, in the last beta, did it only get to 30 FPS in minimum or low quality mode? If I meet everything recommended it should be at least Mid before the FPS gets lower then that?

i know my pc can run it... the wierd thing is, if i put the settigs to medium high or ultra low fps and discomboblutaed articles all over the place.....im running 2 5770`s in crossfire there are directx 11.........is it possible the directx coud be the problem?

on the can i run it, i passed the test, the bar looked off the scal lol
    Last edited by jrotondi; 02-09-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Era
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Macmanus View Post
    Ran my specs through Can You Run it? and it says I pass all Recommended requirements

Riddle me this: Why, in the last beta, did it only get to 30 FPS in minimum or low quality mode? If I meet everything recommended it should be at least Mid before the FPS gets lower then that?
    Probably because a site like that only analyzes the requirements and not actual performance. Things like shadows or AA will definitely have an impact, as well as HDR.

Era
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by jrotondi View Post
    i know my pc can run it... the wierd thing is, if i put the settigs to medium high or ultra low fps and discomboblutaed articles all over the place.....im running 2 5770`s in crossfire there are directx 11.........is it possible the directx coud be the problem?
    No, sounds like an overheating issue. Check out CCC's temperature monitor and see where it's at...if it's above 100C, then you need do to something about cooling.

on the can i run it, i passed the test, the bar looked off the scal lol
    Have you overclocked those cards at all by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Era View Post
    No, sounds like an overheating issue. Check out CCC's temperature monitor and see where it's at...if it's above 100C, then you need do to something about cooling.
    the highst the temp was at was 90C and thats running this game... kinda had a feeling it had to do with heat i guess i was looking for other excuses lol...time too look for cooling products

the highst the temp was at was 90C and thats running this game... kinda had a feeling it had to do with heat i guess i was looking for other excuses lol...time too look for cooling products
    Christ. I mean, I'm used to hot ATI cards. But I mean, I had a Visiontek HD4850 with the most poorly designed cooler ever. That thing under load in a game would sometimes hit 107c. If the fan speed was left at 40% it would idle at 70-80c on average. But the newer cards have MUCH nicer coolers. Try to improve airflow in your case, and yeah, look into after market coolers.... Christ.

Have you overclocked those cards at all by chance?
    accutally now i think about it, i did mess arorund with msi afterburner.....but i uninstalled it awhile ago... o well ill play on low since i get anywhere between 70-120 fps lol

Christ. I mean, I'm used to hot ATI cards. But I mean, I had a Visiontek HD4850 with the most poorly designed cooler ever. That thing under load in a game would sometimes hit 107c. If the fan speed was left at 40% it would idle at 70-80c on average. But the newer cards have MUCH nicer coolers. Try to improve airflow in your case, and yeah, look into after market coolers.... Christ.
    at idel when not doing anything or surfing the web its a steady 54C.....the airflow is good, but i have been looking for aftermarket coolers, mainly watercooling

thanks for the help guys!

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Era View Post
    The java applet hates me for whatever reason.

Edit: Also, that site seems to think my graphics card (ATI 3850) is way above the recommended...yeah, no. It's an okay site, but not a 100% reassuring one.
    actually compared to the recommended specs a 3850 is above them. The specs provided by trion are specs from machines of 4 or so years ago.

just because trion's specs aren't right doesn't mean the site is wrong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast