+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading system for Rift, hoping for advice

Default Upgrading system for Rift, hoping for advice

So this game has inspired me to upgrade my out of date gaming system. I have already bought a GeForce 450 GFX card and a high quality(or so I was told/understand from reading) 2 GB stick of RAM, bringing my total up to 3 GB. Now I am debating using the last of my tax returns to do a final upgrade, but am uncertain if it would be more worthwhile to buy another 2 GB stick of RAM, or to upgrade my processor. At present I am running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ which is a dual core 2 ghz processor. I was debating buying a 3 GHZ dual core processor but I am unsure if that would be as useful an upgrade as another gigabyte of RAM would be. Any advice for pimping out my ride as far as which course would be the better route, oor other tips for upgrading my system? Thanks in advance for any people willing to take mercy on my soul and grant me their input.

RIFT Community Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    So this game has inspired me to upgrade my out of date gaming system. I have already bought a GeForce 450 GFX card and a high quality(or so I was told/understand from reading) 2 GB stick of RAM, bringing my total up to 3 GB. Now I am debating using the last of my tax returns to do a final upgrade, but am uncertain if it would be more worthwhile to buy another 2 GB stick of RAM, or to upgrade my processor. At present I am running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ which is a dual core 2 ghz processor. I was debating buying a 3 GHZ dual core processor but I am unsure if that would be as useful an upgrade as another gigabyte of RAM would be. Any advice for pimping out my ride as far as which course would be the better route, oor other tips for upgrading my system? Thanks in advance for any people willing to take mercy on my soul and grant me their input.
    youll get more bang outta the processor upgrade for sure

edit: what kinda motherboard do you have?
    Last edited by HeavyMetalLucidity; 02-09-2011 at 09:19 PM.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Ascendant

Would have to be AM2 rig using 2GB sticks of ram. Upgrading your cpu to 3Ghz will net you the biggest performance increase. I would also save for another 2gb stick so you can run Dual channel.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Shadowlander

A CPU upgrade for sure. I'm not sure what motherboard you have, or if it's AM2 or AM2+, but here is a decent upgrade from your current processor.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    youll get more bang outta the processor upgrade for sure

edit: what kinda motherboard do you have?
    an Nvidia NF-MCP61

also, call me dumb, but what's dual channel?

Ascendant

an Nvidia NF-MCP61

also, call me dumb, but what's dual channel?
    If your running 2 different sized sticks of ram they are not run in Dual channel which increases the performance quite a bit. Try & get an identical 2Gb stick & take out the 1Gb stick so your memory will run in Dual channel mode & you should see another performance boost.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Quote Originally Posted by King Icewind View Post
    A CPU upgrade for sure. I'm not sure what motherboard you have, or if it's AM2 or AM2+, but here is a decent upgrade from your current processor.
    this^^
    is exactly why i asked what motherboard. if its an am2/am2+ the bios may also allow the am3 processors already or a simple bios upgrade may even be available.

this^^
    is exactly why i asked what motherboard. if its an am2/am2+ the bios may also allow the am3 processors already or a simple bios upgrade may even be available.
    my present cpu is an am2 socket type according to CPU-Z. Not sure if I can go quite to that processor yet, was aiming to spend no more then 80-90 dollars on this upgrade. May stretch outside the box for it though. Thanks alot for all the advice.

this^^
    Firmware updates are easier now than 10 years ago but....

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Download this and transcribe the info it give you. We should be able to help more with a bit more info.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

my present cpu is an am2 socket type according to CPU-Z. Not sure if I can go quite to that processor yet, was aiming to spend no more then 80-90 dollars on this upgrade. May stretch outside the box for it though. Thanks alot for all the advice.
    just before you go out a splurge on a AM3 processor or any other kinda thing make sure of what your board will handle first. for some reason mcp61 is triggering some sorta memory for me though i dont remember for some reason atm.

edit: oh wait...now i remember...it was a board that hp largely used. i think it was called mcp61 "nettle". ecs made those things for them i think.
    Last edited by HeavyMetalLucidity; 02-09-2011 at 09:39 PM.

can't afford to buy that specy thing you linked. I do however have CPU-Z which gives me infor on what I have in my system. Just don't know what kinda info I would need to throw out to get more help. But basically here is what I have

Motherboard: Nvidia NF-MCP61
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    core speed 2009.3 mhz multiplier x 10 Bus speed 200.9 mhz HT link 1004 mhz
    Video Card: GeForce 450
    RAM: 3 GB (one 1 GB stick one 2 GB stick)
    Dram frequency 334.9 mhz FSB Dram CPU/6 CAS latency/RAS to CAS delay and RAS precharge all at 5 clocks cycle time 15 clocks bank cycle time 20 clocks command rate 2T

That is all CPU-Z tells me about the system. so any advice for upgrades based off all that stuff of which I understand maybe half would be cool.

Also would a motherboard upgrade be something I have to worry about in the future, or how much of an impact will my motherboard have on my system performance? Never really looked into them. >.<

can't afford to buy that specy thing you linked. I do however have CPU-Z which gives me infor on what I have in my system. Just don't know what kinda info I would need to throw out to get more help. But basically here is what I have

Motherboard: Nvidia NF-MCP61
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    core speed 2009.3 mhz multiplier x 10 Bus speed 200.9 mhz HT link 1004 mhz
    Video Card: GeForce 450
    RAM: 3 GB (one 1 GB stick one 2 GB stick)
    Dram frequency 334.9 mhz FSB Dram CPU/6 CAS latency/RAS to CAS delay and RAS precharge all at 5 clocks cycle time 15 clocks bank cycle time 20 clocks command rate 2T

That is all CPU-Z tells me about the system. so any advice for upgrades based off all that stuff of which I understand maybe half would be cool.

Also would a motherboard upgrade be something I have to worry about in the future, or how much of an impact will my motherboard have on my system performance? Never really looked into them. >.<
    speccy is freeware http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard
    click there ^^ to download. ya know just in case you want to see the program. its pretty nice. i got speccy, gpuz and cpuz.

edit: also who is the manufacturer of the motherboard? as far as i know nvidia doesnt make them they only make the chipsets on them.
    Last edited by HeavyMetalLucidity; 02-09-2011 at 09:49 PM.

speccy is freeware http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard
    click there ^^ to download. ya know just in case you want to see the program. its pretty nice. i got speccy, gpuz and cpuz.
    /facepalm to myself. damnit all I hate it when I make dumbass mistakes like not notice the free links below the pay ones.

Operating System
    MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 43 C
    Windsor 90nm Technology
    RAM
    3.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 334MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Motherboard
    NF-MCP61 (Socket M2 )
    Graphics
    Default Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Hard Drives
    78GB Seagate ST380815AS (ATA) 36 C
    Optical Drives
    LITEON CD-ROM LTN526D
    TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R1312
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

speccy info.

Operating System
    MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 43 C
    Windsor 90nm Technology
    RAM
    3.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 334MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Motherboard
    NF-MCP61 (Socket M2 )
    Graphics
    Default Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Hard Drives
    78GB Seagate ST380815AS (ATA) 36 C
    Optical Drives
    LITEON CD-ROM LTN526D
    TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R1312
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

speccy info.
    im wondering if you bought the computer prebuilt.
    i cant really find anything on that mobo and my previous experience tells me that board is not going to like upgrading. i could be wrong of course my board had a different model# but it was the same basic type (actually newer it was a am2+). i would suggest getting a new board and processor at the same time. you can salvage everything else so you dont have to buy a whole new system if you want. i did the same for my system, runs great too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast