+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boot Camp question

Default 2gb ram?

This game is what made me decide to bootcamp my mac with windows. But my problem is that I only have windows xp professional 32 bit. I have the latest macbook pro 13" with just the basic specs. But what I'm concerned about is the 4gb ram. and Im only going to be getting 2.5-3gb or so out of it with the 32 bit os.

So are any of you running the game with 2gb ram or so and having the game playable? I don't really care if my graphics are low, I just want 30fps.
    Last edited by Baxingo; 02-09-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Shield of Telara

I'm not using a mac, but the game is playable with 2 GB of ram in windows XP (32 bit version) for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerian View Post
    I'm not using a mac, but the game is playable with 2 GB of ram in windows XP (32 bit version) for me.
    Ok, thats good to know, how many fps do you get and what graphic settings are you running?

Shield of Telara

20-30 fps on a modified ultra w/ a GTX470. I'm planning to drop it down a little to boost my FPS slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxingo View Post
    This game is what made me decide to bootcamp my mac with windows. But my problem is that I only have windows xp professional 32 bit. I have the latest macbook pro 13" with just the basic specs. But what I'm concerned about is the 4gb ram. and Im only going to be getting 2.5-3gb or so out of it with the 32 bit os.

So are any of you running the game with 2gb ram or so and having the game playable? I don't really care if my graphics are low, I just want 30fps.
    youll probably be sitting a little higher then 3gb, basically 3gb, so yes you'll lose out on almost a gig of ram not running a 64-bit OS, mac's have there place and there great for alot of things, but unfortunately, gaming isn't one of them.
    Last edited by rich1051414; 02-09-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Updated; February 13, 2011; Nova Bench 3; Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate; AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3975 MHz; Graphics Card:Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5770 OC@960/1400
    Verified NovaBench Score: 1093
    Validated by CPU-Z

i have a iMac running win 7 32 bit i want to upgrade to 64 bit win 7 so i can add more memory to the game. But tbh my game runs just fine with the win 7 32 bit.

Just do the boot camp and see how things are going.
    And Macbook pro are fine to game Rift on as far from what i know off.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by rich1051414 View Post
    youll probably be sitting a little higher then 3gb, basically 3gb, so yes you'll lose out on almost a gig of ram not running a 64-bit OS, mac's have there place and there great for alot of things, but unfortunately, gaming isn't one of them.
    Your snide remark at the end has nothing to do with the issue of the Windows operating system he currently has not being able to recognize the full amount of RAM installed in his computer.

I've been gaming on Mac's through Boot Camp or within OS X for the last two years without issue.

Yeah, he probably paid too much for his computer, but ultimately, his computer will play Rift just fine.

Yes 3gb ram only with a 32bit win 7

Yes you can play the game

We do not know what CPU you have i have a Ci5 and the games runs 30+ fps and im able to fraps

Soulwalker

I run win xp 32-bit through boot camp and rift runs just fine (only got to play in beta 6, but it ran seamlessly). I have 4G ram just soes you know.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by echo34 View Post
    Your snide remark at the end has nothing to do with the issue of the Windows operating system he currently has not being able to recognize the full amount of RAM installed in his computer.

I've been gaming on Mac's through Boot Camp or within OS X for the last two years without issue.

Yeah, he probably paid too much for his computer, but ultimately, his computer will play Rift just fine.
    That is not a Windows problem, but an issue with all 32-bit operating systems. They have a limit on how much memory they can allocate. 32-bit will never be able to use 4gb of RAM effectively. I believe Mac OS X v10.6 (Snow Leopard) is the first Mac OS for consumers that has an 64-bit kernel. Also the system limit is 4 GB for 32-bit not 3 GB. So basically if you have a graphics card with 512 MB of VRAM you'll have aproximately 3.5 GB system memory. 3 GB if the graphics card have 1 GB of VRAM.

Quote Originally Posted by NuDimon View Post
    That is not a Windows problem, but an issue with all 32-bit operating systems. They have a limit on how much memory they can allocate. 32-bit will never be able to use 4gb of RAM effectively. I believe Mac OS X v10.6 (Snow Leopard) is the first Mac OS for consumers that has an 64-bit kernel. Also the system limit is 4 GB for 32-bit not 3 GB. So basically if you have a graphics card with 512 MB of VRAM you'll have aproximately 3.5 GB system memory. 3 GB if the graphics card have 1 GB of VRAM.
    So the last 512 ram you ned to get full 4gb isent realy the win 7 64 bit worth of upgrade if the games runs just fine on a 32 bit

Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm gonna go ahead and bootcamp, and try it out next tuesday! And I'm pre ordering regardless of how it runs on my mac, I do have a gaming pc at home I have access to, but I'm not home that often, thats why I asked about the mac part =)

Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm gonna go ahead and bootcamp, and try it out next tuesday! And I'm pre ordering regardless of how it runs on my mac, I do have a gaming pc at home I have access to, but I'm not home that often, thats why I asked about the mac part =)
    Sure thing dude

+ Reply to Thread