+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Zotac Geforce GTS 450

Soulwalker

Unhappy Zotac Geforce GTS 450

Thanks for your interest/help on this matter ahead of time.

So I'm looking into buying this video card and setting it up before the launch of rift since i currently am forced to run the game on low settings which is really undesirable.

I am currently running a new Dell Inspiron computer with a "Core 2 Quad" (I'm assuming that's the processor) processor.
    I have 3gb of ram.

I currently play on a 1680 by 1050 resolution.

This video card is running at~200$ currently. I know absolutely NOTHING about computers, so i was wondering if anyone on here with more knowledge than myself would be able to give me some insight on a card that may be better in the sameish price range? I mainly ask this since while browsing the forums earlier i saw someone saying that this card was outdated or something along those lines.

Just trying to make a smart purchase, and thanks TONS for your help!
    Last edited by Lolgg; 02-09-2011 at 07:36 PM.

I would probably aim for an ATI 6870 or a nvidia GTX 560 , both are good choices for that price.

dunno how they are 1 against the other, the ATI should be arround 220$

The nvidia I can only see the GTX 560 Ti @ 240$

Check some sites for benchmarks and wait for other users insight.

For what I can tell go for ATI if you want to buy it - install it and run.
    in my opinion the 560 is a beast for Overclocking , if it was me I would try to go for the 560 just for the oc.
    Last edited by Freetobe; 02-09-2011 at 07:45 PM.

You might want to invest in a better processor, first. And also, instead buy a GTX 460 or HD 5770.

Your processor is pretty dated. How many Watts does your PSU go up to?
    MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 1GB
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 AM3
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
    250gb Caviar Black WD HDD (7200RPM)
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Backtrack Dual-Boot
    1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro PSU

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Vivec View Post
    You might want to invest in a better processor, first. And also, instead buy a GTX 460 or HD 5770.

Your processor is pretty dated. How many Watts does your PSU go up to?
    Is there anywhere I can go to check this? I have no idea

Quote Originally Posted by Lolgg View Post
    Is there anywhere I can go to check this? I have no idea

Your manual that your PC came with might have it, but the only assured way to know is to take off the side panel and read the side for something like "400W," or "600Watt PSU"
    MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 1GB
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 AM3
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
    250gb Caviar Black WD HDD (7200RPM)
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Backtrack Dual-Boot
    1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro PSU

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Vivec View Post
    Your manual that your PC came with might have it, but the only assured way to know is to take off the side panel and read the side for something like "400W," or "600Watt PSU"
    Wasn't sure what PSU was until I goggled it, sorry :P

Its 500, I actually bought a new one recently to accommodate a newer video card.
    Last edited by Lolgg; 02-09-2011 at 07:48 PM.

or just read How many watts the +12v rail has Completly forgot about that problem thx vivec

just go to the side of the psu and it should have +12v ( or 12v1 and 12v2 ) and how many Amps they have ( A ) , that should tell if you have enough juice for them.

lolgg , avoid that 450 , go for the 460 or 560 is you plan to oc , everyone must agree that you cannot buy those cards and avoid overclock. You will die for great justice.
    Last edited by Freetobe; 02-09-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Era
    Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Freetobe View Post
    or just read How many watts the +12v rail has Completly forgot about that problem thx vivec

just go to the side of the psu and it should have +12v ( or 12v1 and 12v2 ) and how many Amps they have ( A ) , that should tell if you have enough juice for them.

lolgg , avoid that 450 , go for the 460 or 560 is you plan to oc , everyone must agree that you cannot buy those cards and avoid overclock. You will die for great justice.
    Graphics cards don't use 12v rails...they usually use 1 or 2x 6 pin connectors. What you need is the watt rating of the PSU (500W, 600W, etc). Most higher-end cards require at least a 500W so you have power for everything else, but I haven't seen a card use more than 200W fully loaded.

Soulwalker

Thumbs up Thanks Everyone!

After much looking around as well as researching last night I ended up picking up an "MSI GeForce GTX 460 Fermi Cyclone OC 725MHZ 768MB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI-E Video Card" for less than the first one i was looking at, looks perfect for what I'm looking for, thanks a lot for the replies/ help everyone

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Lolgg View Post
    After much looking around as well as researching last night I ended up picking up an "MSI GeForce GTX 460 Fermi Cyclone OC 725MHZ 768MB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI-E Video Card" for less than the first one i was looking at, looks perfect for what I'm looking for, thanks a lot for the replies/ help everyone
    Congrats, it definitely should not disappoint. "Older" (1 gen old) mid range cards are exceptional in their price to performance ratio. MSI really has been cranking out some quality units and you can't really go wrong with them. Just remember to register the card's serial number as soon as you get the card.
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

+ Reply to Thread