+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insight on a new RIG

Soulwalker

Question Insight on a new RIG

So going to upgrade old gaming comp to something a little more serious.

I was wondering whether anyone else has something similar and used it in beta and could give me an idea of whether I could run ultra settings with this smoothly. (my internet connection is always very stable and fast, so no limitations there).

I was trying to stay in the range of about 1500$-2000$ and this is what I've come up with:
    Asus P6X58D-E GBlan DDR3 ATX................................... Motherboard
    Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz S1366 8M 4.8GT/S Boax ..................CPU
    Kingston 6.0 GB DDr3-1600 ..........................................Memory kit
    7200 sata .................................................. ............. HD
    Asus ENGTX460 1Gb directcu ........................................graphics card
    antec 300............................................... ................. case
    ThermalTake 500W ATX ..............................................Powe r supply

Let me know!
    I hope I did my homework right, I'm up for suggestions though (remember my wallet has a limit though).

You should have a lot better GPU/system for that price range. Take a look at my system recommendations, particularly the rank 3 system.

I'd recommend staying clear of socket 1366. It's hit End of Life, and unless you are getting parts at a discount I recommend against it and say you instead want to wait for socket 1155, or if you must buy now go with AMD or socket 1156.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Epox View Post
    So going to upgrade old gaming comp to something a little more serious.

I was wondering whether anyone else has something similar and used it in beta and could give me an idea of whether I could run ultra settings with this smoothly. (my internet connection is always very stable and fast, so no limitations there).

I was trying to stay in the range of about 1500$-2000$ and this is what I've come up with:
    Asus P6X58D-E GBlan DDR3 ATX................................... Motherboard
    Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz S1366 8M 4.8GT/S Boax ..................CPU
    Kingston 6.0 GB DDr3-1600 ..........................................Memory kit
    7200 sata .................................................. ............. HD
    Asus ENGTX460 1Gb directcu ........................................graphics card
    antec 300............................................... ................. case
    ThermalTake 500W ATX ..............................................Powe r supply

Let me know!
    I hope I did my homework right, I'm up for suggestions though (remember my wallet has a limit though).
    for that much cash you should easily be able to step up in the graphics department.. as well as the PSU, I am partial to Seasonic and Corsair and Antec Earth Watts..
    Many will suggest going sandybridge however it is (exact quote from motherboard manufacturers) " several weeks" until a fixed P60 series chipset arrives to replace the "broken" ones that launched with the newest Core series,.. X58 is still HIGH end, something that can't be said of 1155. You still have upgrade options down the road (six core) and should easily last you through 1155's projected 2 year life span when haswell is set to replace Ivybridge (which will need a NEW 1155 mobo, ie no upgrading from Sandybridge to Ivybridge if one is using P67 boards.)
    Last edited by SirPent; 02-09-2011 at 06:38 PM.
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

For $1500-2000 I would think you might be able to spring for a 650-700 watt PSU and a pair of 460's or just go balls in and get a single GTX 580. Or a 570. Heck, even a 560. Or better yet, SLI a pair of 560's. If you're investing in a system that you want to last a while, I'd highly recommend another video card and a slightly more powerful PSU.

Ascendant

Solid system, besides the 500w power supply. I'd be looking at somthing a little more beefy around the 650w range, if your only planning on staying with single GPU. If you are going fairly high end don't skimp on the PSU.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Quote Originally Posted by SirPent View Post
    as well as the PSU, I am partial to Seasonic and Corsair and Antec Earth Watts..
    Antec Earth Watt PSU's are great things to have. Used several, never had a single issue.

Soulwalker

hey thanks for all the answers so fast!

I'll look into the psu for sure

awesome stuff rabbit, i checked out a bunch of the setups on your site. for the rank 3 that you mentioned is the solid state drive necessary? I'm curious as to how much it will improve performance?

I'm gonna respec some thoughts after seeing everyones suggestions. (happy I asked now)

(the price was also including all the windows 7 64bit and some stuff that wasn't needed on the list (but doesn't add up to too much money either).

It's about as "necessary" as the triple monitor.

It really won't improve performance a whole lot, as SSD only affect load times. However, in times where games, like MMOGs, are swaping data a lot, like running through a city passing by lots of people, it may smooth / speed things up a touch. Overall though you aren't likely to notice a whole lot of difference. If it's a matter of affording a better GPU or not, absolutely do the SSD after GPU.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

+ Reply to Thread