+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any Solutions?

Rift Disciple

Default Any Solutions?

My PC is old. I bought it from dell maybe 4 years ago and have only ever increased the RAM so it ran the games i wanted to play at the time with average visuals.
    I signed up for the RIFT beta on a recommendation and just played in Beta6. I'm now intending to pre-order it.

Whilst i'd like to, buying a new PC isn't an option right now as i'm going away for 6 months in June and am looking to get by on what i currently have til then, with any changes if viable. In beta6, for normal tasks, questing etc. i was ok with the performance. It was during the large scale invasions that i sometimes suffered, mainly when a ton of people combined with multiple invader groups were on screen. The PvP arena thing (can't remember the name) i won't even try again with what i currently have as it was like watching a flick-book animation.

I have a Dell Dimension 5150 with:
    Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz
    3GB RAM
    Windows XP
    Radeon x600 256MB graphics card

I'm guessing the only thing i'd be able to easily change is the graphics card but i have no idea if only some work with certain motherboards, mine's model 0wg261 if needed. Any suggestions/input would be appreciated.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ham411 View Post
    My PC is old. I bought it from dell maybe 4 years ago and have only ever increased the RAM so it ran the games i wanted to play at the time with average visuals.
    I signed up for the RIFT beta on a recommendation and just played in Beta6. I'm now intending to pre-order it.

Whilst i'd like to, buying a new PC isn't an option right now as i'm going away for 6 months in June and am looking to get by on what i currently have til then, with any changes if viable. In beta6, for normal tasks, questing etc. i was ok with the performance. It was during the large scale invasions that i sometimes suffered, mainly when a ton of people combined with multiple invader groups were on screen. The PvP arena thing (can't remember the name) i won't even try again with what i currently have as it was like watching a flick-book animation.

Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz
    3GB RAM
    Windows XP

I'm guessing the only thing i'd be able to easily change is the graphics card but i have no idea if only some work with certain motherboards, mine's model 0wg261 if needed. Any suggestions/input would be appreciated.
    Being a Dell your options are limited (see here:http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...ore-2-duo.html)
    but I'd suggest at MOST something along the lines of a HD4850/GTX260/GTS 250/GTS450 if any can be gotten for CHEAP (ie $50-60 USD), maybe hit up eBay if you feel comfortable buying "used".. can find quite a few HD4850s for under $50.
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

At bear minimum hit newegg.com and grab a new video card. And also check pricing on a CPU, LGA 775 pins. And if you want to save 20% on RIFT just click the link in my sig.

Rift Disciple

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the UK so won't use newegg.com due to unknown shipping costs. I've taken a look on ebay for the 4 cards you mentioned SirPent and am watching some of each as most end over the weekend. After searching around some sites i've used before it's like the HD 4850 doesn't even exist, and going on the US ebay site as a price check made me sad seeing that many and that cheap. Going for a used one is fine for me as most people selling them have near or 100% feedback on 100+ items sold.

Off the top of my head that looks like an AGP based system, no? If it is there will be very little you can do to make it game worthy for current gen games, and it won't be worth the cost to do so.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    Off the top of my head that looks like an AGP based system, no? If it is there will be very little you can do to make it game worthy for current gen games, and it won't be worth the cost to do so.
    iirc X600 was PCIe (basically a refined 9600 on PCIe), only the X700 and X800 came in either AGP or PCIe (sometimes using the Rialto chip). The X300, X500 and X600 were all the same exact chip just different memory/clocks. There was a X1050 that caem like 3 years later in AGP/PCIe mainly as something available to system intergrators and it was spec'd anywhere from the X300 (325/200 64bit) to the X600 (400/333 128bit).

Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz
    3GB RAM
    Windows XP

You would be surprised. I am running the game on a Core 2 Duo E8400 and from what I have seen my framerate would almost double if I were to upgrade to a quad core, especially the new Sandy Bridge processors (i5 2500K). I am just holding off for now as they have a chipset problem.

I hate to break it to you, but I would be considering buying a new machine altogether. Your P4 is on an out-dated socket, your X600 is probably AGP, and the RAM you are using (while enough) is probably not going to be supported if you do opt to upgrade to a more modern processor.

I would recommend taking a look at this chart, in case you do want to weigh up your options about buying a new build. It is split in to price ranges and is very up to date: http://tinyurl.com/falconguide

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the UK so won't use newegg.com due to unknown shipping costs. I've taken a look on ebay for the 4 cards you mentioned SirPent and am watching some of each as most end over the weekend. After searching around some sites i've used before it's like the HD 4850 doesn't even exist, and going on the US ebay site as a price check made me sad seeing that many and that cheap. Going for a used one is fine for me as most people selling them have near or 100% feedback on 100+ items sold.
    I'm from the UK so I would recommend www.ebuyer.com, www.scan.co.uk, and www.overclockers.co.uk (in that order).

I would, however, be very hesitant to pair a HD 4850 with that CPU. And I don't think you'd see much of an improvement anyway considering how much this game taxes my dual-core system.
    Last edited by Ulfhedjinn; 02-10-2011 at 05:01 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, threaten to quit unless it's nerfed.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    Looks like it has a PCI-E slot.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfb/deskto...50&cs=28&s=dfb

But seriously, upgrading a system like that is throwing money away. It's going to be a slideshow even with a new GPU.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Rift Disciple

Yes the x600 is PCI-e. I'm gonna take my chances with a used GPU from ebay. I missed an HD 8450 1GB because i was at work, that went for 33. For even 50, i'm willing to take a chance on what i can get. If it's an improvement then great, if not it's not that big a deal money wise and i could just sell it on again or pass it on to a friend.

I myself know it would make sense to buy a new system over upgrading what i have and any other time in my life i would already be looking around but as it is i'm not gonna buy a new system now for 4 months for it to sit there for the rest of the year doing nothing until i decide to come back home, not to mention spending 's on a new system would set me back in how long i can go away for.

Champion

Yes the x600 is PCI-e. I'm gonna take my chances with a used GPU from ebay. I missed an HD 8450 1GB because i was at work, that went for 33. For even 50, i'm willing to take a chance on what i can get. If it's an improvement then great, if not it's not that big a deal money wise and i could just sell it on again or pass it on to a friend.

I myself know it would make sense to buy a new system over upgrading what i have and any other time in my life i would already be looking around but as it is i'm not gonna buy a new system now for 4 months for it to sit there for the rest of the year doing nothing until i decide to come back home, not to mention spending 's on a new system would set me back in how long i can go away for.
    best of luck to you.. there are some real great buys that can be had buying used (ebay etc)...

+ Reply to Thread