+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Older system needs new video card

Soulwalker

Default Older system needs new video card

Hello, I have an older system that is perfectly capable of playing Rift, however I desperately need a new video card. I was leaning toward ATI since they usually have a good 'bang for your buck' but am not against NVidia if the $$ for performance is right.

My limit is $200 and the 2 cards I am considering so far are the 5770 and the 5850. My only concern is that these cards would be overkill for my older CPU and RAM (there's no point in putting a corvette engine in a pinto)

So basically I would like to know, what would be the best video card for under $200 can I put in my machine w/o overspending, creating a CPU bottleneck?

I play in 1440*900 res. and my system specs are as follows

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.101014-0432)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gateway
    System Model: GT5662
    BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 3070MB RAM (ddr2 667mhz)
    Page File: 1363MB used, 4998MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

Quote Originally Posted by Ignitus83 View Post
    Hello, I have an older system that is perfectly capable of playing Rift, however I desperately need a new video card. I was leaning toward ATI since they usually have a good 'bang for your buck' but am not against NVidia if the $$ for performance is right.

My limit is $200 and the 2 cards I am considering so far are the 5770 and the 5850. My only concern is that these cards would be overkill for my older CPU and RAM (there's no point in putting a corvette engine in a pinto)

So basically I would like to know, what would be the best video card for under $200 can I put in my machine w/o overspending, creating a CPU bottleneck?

I play in 1440*900 res. and my system specs are as follows

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.101014-0432)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gateway
    System Model: GT5662
    BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 3070MB RAM (ddr2 667mhz)
    Page File: 1363MB used, 4998MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

bro u got a quad core. that is not an "old" CPU per say. (maybe old in age, but not really old in technology).
    a single/dual core would be considered old.
    Rogue.
    i think..therefore i am

You probably woulnd't have to worry about a CPU bottleneck. I'd be more concerned about if your power supply could handle the new card.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

In 1440x900 resolution, a 5770 should be sufficient for you in all honesty.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    You probably woulnd't have to worry about a CPU bottleneck. I'd be more concerned about if your power supply could handle the new card.
    yeah, i already know i need a better PSU but those aren't too pricey. I was mainly worried how the first gen quad core would match up with the newer GPUs, seen some posts in the other threads with people getting flamed that there newer quad cores running at 3g and above would be a bottleneck when adding CF or top end cards, might be true with CF and SLi, but I just wanted to be sure I didn't spend more than necessary (GF needs a new PC too so I want to either give here this one with updated vid card or be nice and build a new one for her and give her the privilege of having the 'good' PC for a while )

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Señor Kalivos View Post
    In 1440x900 resolution, a 5770 should be sufficient for you in all honesty.
    That's what I was thinking, seen a review somewhere saying the 5770s were still competing well with the newer cards. Plus that leaves me plenty of room to upgrade the PSU

Edit: also what brand do you guys recommend for Video cards, XFX, MSI etc..
    Last edited by Ignitus83; 02-09-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Telaran

yeah, i already know i need a better PSU but those aren't too pricey. I was mainly worried how the first gen quad core would match up with the newer GPUs, seen some posts in the other threads with people getting flamed that there newer quad cores running at 3g and above would be a bottleneck when adding CF or top end cards, might be true with CF and SLi, but I just wanted to be sure I didn't spend more than necessary (GF needs a new PC too so I want to either give here this one with updated vid card or be nice and build a new one for her and give her the privilege of having the 'good' PC for a while )
    Ignore the other threads. Your processor is fine. If you don't mind spending the money look into

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-883-_-Product

Can't beat its performance for $220.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    That's what I was thinking, seen a review somewhere saying the 5770s were still competing well with the newer cards. Plus that leaves me plenty of room to upgrade the PSU

Pay no attention to the so-self- called experts that litter the boards claiming you NEED a 1000W PSU and a 4.5GHZ processor to play Rift.. the game engine itself is far from being fully optimized (remember game is still in BETA). It's true that a 1st gen quad is slightly limiting, mostly with regards in being able to feed high end GPUs (which makes me LOL IRL when I see someone gloat about their 4.2Ghz quad/six core tied with a nearly 5 year old nV 8800) however unless said people are going to buy your hardware for you, I wouldn't listen much to their opinions. Only buy what fits your needs, not their wants. Being that you are running just over 1 Megapixel (1.29) there isn't a whole lot of "pixel pushing" power that is NEEDED, you're looking at about the same amount of pixels as a 1280x1024 monitor displays. A 5770 = HD4870 = GTX 260 all very capable cards in their own right, the 5770 bonuses being it runs cooler, uses less energy, can run multiple displays off a single card (though playability may be questionable depending on title).
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

Soulwalker

Thanks for all the help guys, now that I think of it, all of the 'post your specs' threads kinda remind me of (1-9) chat in game lol. I'm glad this thread brought forth some useful knowledge and not a bunch of flaming leetist tech boys.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by SirPent View Post
    Pay no attention to the so-self- called experts that litter the boards claiming you NEED a 1000W PSU and a 4.5GHZ processor to play Rift.. the game engine itself is far from being fully optimized (remember game is still in BETA). It's true that a 1st gen quad is slightly limiting, mostly with regards in being able to feed high end GPUs (which makes me LOL IRL when I see someone gloat about their 4.2Ghz quad/six core tied with a nearly 5 year old nV 8800) however unless said people are going to buy your hardware for you, I wouldn't listen much to their opinions. Only buy what fits your needs, not their wants. Being that you are running just over 1 Megapixel (1.29) there isn't a whole lot of "pixel pushing" power that is NEEDED, you're looking at about the same amount of pixels as a 1280x1024 monitor displays. A 5770 = HD4870 = GTX 260 all very capable cards in their own right, the 5770 bonuses being it runs cooler, uses less energy, can run multiple displays off a single card (though playability may be questionable depending on title).
    No one is gloating here champ, I offer my opinion which you can either take or leave. I'm really looking forward to the results of your recommendations here & I sincerely hope the OP does post his results in this thread so we can see the outcome pairing a new gen GPU with an old processor.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

If you're looking for performance per price, the GTX 460 is up there. Not so much the 5770 anymore, and that card will soon be dated.
    MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 1GB
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 AM3
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
    250gb Caviar Black WD HDD (7200RPM)
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Backtrack Dual-Boot
    1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro PSU

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Vivec View Post
    If you're looking for performance per price, the GTX 460 is up there. Not so much the 5770 anymore, and that card will soon be dated.
    the 768MB GTX 460 is "up there", the 1GB not as much..
    Older system needs new video card-perfdollar.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Z...560_Ti/30.html
    Last edited by SirPent; 02-09-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

I find it funny when people are worried about if their system can play the game.
    I have a Core2 2.4GHz, with 2GB RAM, and a GeForce 8600 GTS
    Works without issue. Granted I am only running my game on the medium/high graphics, and not the OMGmyeyesarebleedingbecauseariftjumpedoutofthescre en graphics, but still.
    I see ground clutter, effects, shadows, etc.
    I have attempted to play another, older, still going, and nameless MMORPG with settings close to these, and it fails hard.

I have no idea what they did with the engine here, but it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by meoka2368 View Post
    I find it funny when people are worried about if their system can play the game.
    I have a Core2 2.4GHz, with 2GB RAM, and a GeForce 8600 GTS
    Works without issue. Granted I am only running my game on the medium/high graphics, and not the OMGmyeyesarebleedingbecauseariftjumpedoutofthescre en graphics, but still.
    I see ground clutter, effects, shadows, etc.
    I have attempted to play another, older, still going, and nameless MMORPG with settings close to these, and it fails hard.

I have no idea what they did with the engine here, but it's awesome.
    I am curious, what resolution are you playing at? That's something a lot of people don't seem to mention.

Yeah resolution counts for a lot. Most ATI cards perform better at a higher res like 19x12 or 16x12 no lower. I run a 6870 on a 1680x1050 res with Rift maxed out in EVERYTHING & I bounce from 30-40fps which is fine for me 23 or lower & I get stutter in games but the only game to do that is Crysis with some visual mods. Anyways a 5770 is a great card, runs very cool & quiet. What I had before my 6870.
    Hope you find a card that works for you & remember DO NOT skimp on your PSU!!!!! It powers life into all of your components.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast