+ Reply to Thread

Thread: External API

Telaran

Default External API

Will there be an API to get info from rift for external software, say for tracking the AH, player stats, etc? I have a few ideas id like to develop if its possible.

Thanks

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Answer: Maybe later, not at launch. They have said that if they do addons, they will try to do a good job, but they haven't done them yet. I hope they do, there's a ton of useful stuff you can do with addons, despite naysayers complaining that addons magically caused insecure teenagers to act like jerks when they never would have otherwise.

Telaran

I dont mean for in-game addons, just a simple xml webpage that i can query for whats currently in the AH would be all i need. I guess its not needed at launch but it will be very nice to have in the future.

I would KILL for a lot of this. There are lot of things that would be great for 3rd party apps, without being detrimental to gameplay in the slightest.

*knocks on wood for no related flamewar*

It's something blizzard has begun to get down quite well recently, in being liberal with their non-sensitive information. It creates a fun developer environment.

Things like character/Guild Info, chatting out of game, things like that. It allows a lot of innovation to happen with Trion not having to do much at all. It's free PR when someone creates a new wonder app for X device or a new site that does wondrous things. And if things are good enough, they can be incorporated. I love this mentality.

I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

Dump it into SQL express and data mine

+ Reply to Thread