+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1155 nightmare

Default 1155 nightmare

So if you have an 1155 socket motherboard new sandy bridge Pc currently running i would consider yourself lucky.. I happened to get a defective one that died two weeks after owning it and now there is an across the board recall of 1155 socket boards untill the end of march.. Looks like cross your fingers and pray yours doesn't stop working if you plan to play rift at launch.

Here is my issue just in case anyone thinks they know how to fix it. Bios doesn't post and vga led hangs up motherboard not allowing me to even change anything in the bios. tryed new video card,resetting cmos, reseeding ram and belligerently yell "work dam-nit" at the board nothing seems to work.

I think when i get home i may try the face smash method
    Last edited by Ghostoftheunion; 02-09-2011 at 01:04 PM.
    -i5 2500k 3.3ghz stock,COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520, ASUS P8P67 PRO, ocz 4x 1Gb n18000sr26k, Cougar 700w Modular Powersupply. Xfx hd4850, 2x128gb OCz SSd in raid 0. ANTEC| DF-35 RT Case.(Being built) Razor Lycosa keyboard, razor death adder mouse, razor naga mouse. Klipsch - ProMedia 2.1 sound system. Asus. 20inch and 23inch monitors
    -M11x i5 1.2ghz overclock to 1.66, 8gb Ram, 128gb SSd. Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

The problems with the recall of the cougar point chipsets effects ports >2 of SATA II - They might eventually start to degrade until the ports stop working. You can still use other ports, SATAIII, or a sata controller card ($20).

Your problems are not related, and I would recommend calling whoever you bought it from and having them make it right.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    The problems with the recall of the cougar point chipsets effects ports >2 of SATA II - They might eventually start to degrade until the ports stop working. You can still use other ports, SATAIII, or a sata controller card ($20).

Your problems are not related, and I would recommend calling whoever you bought it from and having them make it right.
    I know there not related to the recall but because of the recall no where will sell me or replace the motherboard untill after the recall is finished. New egg has given me my money back and told me not to bother shipping back the motherboard...
    -i5 2500k 3.3ghz stock,COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520, ASUS P8P67 PRO, ocz 4x 1Gb n18000sr26k, Cougar 700w Modular Powersupply. Xfx hd4850, 2x128gb OCz SSd in raid 0. ANTEC| DF-35 RT Case.(Being built) Razor Lycosa keyboard, razor death adder mouse, razor naga mouse. Klipsch - ProMedia 2.1 sound system. Asus. 20inch and 23inch monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostoftheunion View Post
    I know there not related to the recall but because of the recall no where will sell me or replace the motherboard untill after the recall is finished. New egg has given me my money back and told me not to bother shipping back the motherboard...
    You can't even get one if you assume full liability for the defects? That's how I got mine, had to give them in writing that I was aware of the defect and wanted to buy it anyway without possibility of a refund.

It sounds scary, but if you know what your doing it really shouldn't matter at all.
    My computer

Who did you get it from?
    i would be more than willing to take full responsibility for the board without the possibility of a refund.

Who did you get it from?
    i would be more than willing to take full responsibility for the board without the possibility of a refund.
    From a local ma and pa shop. There are a couple still available on amazon it seems.
    My computer

meh i don't trust amazon like i wouldn't trust eBay if im going to knowingly buy something that has a high % for failure.

Hey thanks for the advice i called every computer store in my area and when i was about to get up i got ahold of some russian guy who owned a tiny shop willing to sell me one..he wanted a pretty good premium because he tried to tell me they were "RARe" i told him its because they are not selling the processors or the motherboard anywhere else so if he came down to a fair price i had cash and poof problem fixed. the only one he had was the ASUS p67 sabertooth which is not my first choice in motherboards and was asking around 325$ for it... i got him to sell it to me for 230$ which is about what they retail for on new egg.

Just return it to Asus. See: anandtech for bla bla on Asus statement about the recall/exchange. There are several options for you. You just have to be patient for a few weeks for the new board is all.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Champion

So if you have an 1155 socket motherboard new sandy bridge Pc currently running i would consider yourself lucky.. I happened to get a defective one that died two weeks after owning it and now there is an across the board recall of 1155 socket boards untill the end of march.. Looks like cross your fingers and pray yours doesn't stop working if you plan to play rift at launch.

Here is my issue just in case anyone thinks they know how to fix it. Bios doesn't post and vga led hangs up motherboard not allowing me to even change anything in the bios. tryed new video card,resetting cmos, reseeding ram and belligerently yell "work dam-nit" at the board nothing seems to work.

I think when i get home i may try the face smash method
    Sorry to hear about your troubles.. as a user it really does suck when something you buy with your own hard earned cash fails to work properly. At "least" it wasn't a totally destructive failure such as taking other hardware with it, or worse yet corruption or loss of personal data. Alas.. that is the problem with buying bleeding edge, sometimes you are the one getting bleed. It was about time for my bi-annual pc upgrade/overhaul and I was hoping Intel would have had their X58/1366 replacements out by now as I have been looking to go "BIG(ger)" on this cycle as I cheap'd it out last time. With the 1155 issue rearing it's ugly head, 1356 not arriving any earlier than expected and 2011 still on hold I had to resort to merely upgrading my midrange system with higher end parts and hoping I can get another cycle out of it. I could have gone SB this time IF I had resolved myself to the fact that I'd merely be getting the lowly "beginner" Sandy Bridge (not that there is anything wrong with SB processor) but with tax refund time here and the upgrade bug I was really looking forward to something that would last 3+ years.. the current 1155s wont be around for that long. I'd say on the whole (doesn't help you or me, but ANYONE ELSE reading this thinking of "upgrading"...).. WAIT.. Ivy Bridge (think Sandy Bridge 2.0) is expected to surface this June, performance is about 20% better (IPC) than SB and current 1155s don't look to be upgradable.
    from my understanding (not definitive)

1155(a) = Sandy Bridge, Dual Channel, i3-i5, i7
    1155(b) = Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Dual Channel -3-i7
    1356 = SB-EN, IB, Triple Channel i7 (EE), 8 cores/16 thread, 24 PCIe 3.0 lanes PER CPU
    2011 = SB-EP, Quad Channel i7 (Xeon), 8 core/16 thread, 40 PCIe 3.0 PER CPU

Anywho, again sorry about your loss. Asus makes a good product and pretty good about backing up their products with a decent service dept though I prefer MSI if/when I've had to RMA products. Best of luck to you.
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

+ Reply to Thread