+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Video/PC Upgrade Suggestions

Default Video/PC Upgrade Suggestions

I have a studio XPS 420 that is about 4 years old now and I'm looking for suggestions on upgrades to get the full visual quality of Rift. I played the last Beta and the game ran just fine, getting about 50-60fps BUT, that was on the Low Rendering mode or whatever it was called. Looking for a good video card around the $100-$150 price range. Also would bumping up my system memory help?

System Specs
    Board: Dell Inc. 0TP406

2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache

3GB Memory

NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB

Thanks in advance!

Edit: 375W power suppy
    Last edited by Anima Eversor; 02-09-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Provided your power supply could handle the change, provided you have a big enough case...

Evga GTX 460 w/768 meg, Superclocked $145 post rebate.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Thanks rabb1t. Looks like a power supply upgrade will be needed as well.
    Last edited by Anima Eversor; 02-10-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Spelling

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    Provided your power supply could handle the change, provided you have a big enough case...

Evga GTX 460 w/768 meg, Superclocked $145 post rebate.
    Rabb1t I am curious, do you think the Evga is worth $55 more than a Galaxy? The fan is a little loud but I still can't see paying that more for a better brand. I am guessing it might be stock overclocked a little more but still,...

Anima, I am not sure on Rabb1t's opinion but here is what I went with instead. (Actually picked up a second for SLI) You will definitely need a power supply and I agree with him that a Corsair CMPSU-650TX is a good one for the price.

Galaxy GTX 460 - $90 post rebate
    Last edited by Eboo; 02-10-2011 at 11:23 AM.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Use this to help you decide on a PSU. FYI remember to set capacitor aging to 30-40%.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Eboo View Post
    Rabb1t I am curious, do you think the Evga is worth $55 more than a Galaxy? The fan is a little loud but I still can't see paying that more for a better brand. I am guessing it might be stock overclocked a little more but still,...

Anima, I am not sure on Rabb1t's opinion but here is what I went with instead. (Actually picked up a second for SLI) You will definitely need a power supply and I agree with him that a Corsair CMPSU-650TX is a good one for the price.

Galaxy GTX 460 - $90 post rebate
    EVGA has lifetime warranties on all of their GPUs. That alone is worth the extra $$$
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Rift Disciple

As far as PSUs, please bear in mind:

Power Supply wattage Rating means very little, and is often used as a selling point.

The amperage on the 12V Rail, and effeciency are the 2 most important factors to be looking at.

This is why a 500W Corsair Power Supply for example, can do the same job better than a off brand 850W Power Supply.
    It well have no issues where as, the seeminly more powerful off brand, chokes.
    So do not look at just advertised wattage.

Also, some companies advertise wattage as the Peak power the PSu can handle. Where as others, are advertising the continuous power. 2 completely different things.

Do not skimp here.

Corsair are very good, as well as Antec. One of the 2 would be where I would start.

And I agree, if you decide to go with a Nvidia card, EVGA would be the way to go.
    If you decide on ATI, I would look to Sapphire.
    Last edited by CenturyChild; 02-10-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    System Specs:
    MOBO: DFI DK x48
    CPU/RAM: Intel Q9650 @ 3.6 -- 8GB G-Skill Pi 1066 (4x2GB)
    Audio: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (5.1 Speaker setup)
    GPU: Sapphire HD4890 Toxic
    Power: Corsair 650W PSU
    Case: Antec 900
    HDs: Intel 40GB SSDx2 -- 1TB & 640GB WD Black Ed.Spinners
    Display: LG-2453 @ 1920x1080

Thanks for the insights everyone.

The EVGA GTX 460 "looks" like it will fit, length is not an issue it's the 2x slot size I'm concerned about. It looks like it will fit under the cpu fan housing but i'm not sure if any part of the cards fan would be right under it. Any have an actual measurement of 2x slots?

Thanks!

Oh and yeah, going to get a Corsair PSU.

+ Reply to Thread