+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Proposed PC Build / Hello : )

ARr

Default My Proposed PC Build / Hello : )

First off loving this game and the community, really starting to feel like something special is on the horizon [

I have pooled together a nice chunk of change ( 2,000 CND ) and was wondering if a few of you could lend me your genius in reviewing my proposed build.I am not specifically building this for Rift but your thoughts on the setting i could achieve would be great.Its kind of supposed to be a do all computer , little video editing , photo shopping , but mainly a gaming rig.

CPU : Intel Core i5 750 - $208

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-215-_-Product

GPU : Saphire Toxic HD 5850 2 gig ( possibly corossfire down the road ) - $375

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=030469

PSU : Cool Master Silent Pro 800 w - $159

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-057-_-Product

RAM : Corsair DDR3 Dominator 2x4 - 8 gig - $115

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-313-_-Product

MOBO : MSi P55-GD80 - $233

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130238

Case : HAF 932 full tower - $159

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-213-_-Product

Sound Card : Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - $179

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-033-_-Product

ROM : Pioneer Black 12X BDR - $132

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...ck%2012X%20BDR

Sink : Corsair CWCH50-1 - $76

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...air%20CWCH50-1

Still looking at wireless cards but have 65$ for it

My monitor for the time being will be a 37 inch 1080 p LCD.

Total cost w tax - shipping $1881
    Last edited by ARr; 02-09-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Shield of Telara

Don't junk out on your memory get memory with lower latency, you kinda did the opposite of what I did. I get good memory and a cruddy MOBO. (Paid 200 bucks from my MOBO, worst buy ever)

As for wireless cards, get the gigabyte wifi card from newegg. It's amazing and it's like 20$.

Do you already have a HDD or did you forget?
    Last edited by Pooshonmyshoos; 02-09-2011 at 11:41 AM.

ARr

O ok great.I am not so good with that kind of stuff , i know how to tell if its compatible but thats about it.Could you reccomend some memory?,

I already have a HD , sorry my mistake.What number represents latency ?

O ok i see now, my original post on Ram had a latency of 9 , is 5 superior or just a little better, what is the lowest?
    Last edited by ARr; 02-09-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Shield of Telara

Well with lower latency memory you will have to mess with the overclock settings of the memory to get it just right.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820231353

I have the same and with my POS Mobo, I got it clocked at 8 cas, my mobo is ****.. And as well, it is better to have more low memory sticks, than two high memory sticks.

Recommend a memory cooler as well.

DDR3 comes with a cas latency of 6 bought, I am sure you can lower it more than that with OC but your memory will last a week. If you can get the above memory to clock to said specifications your set.

Also, having a lower cas latency on 1600mhz is better than having a 2133MHZ memory stick with higher cas latency. As of right now, you can't lower a 2133MHZ stick to match /be better than a 1600 without blowing it up or having it last a while
    Last edited by Pooshonmyshoos; 02-09-2011 at 12:06 PM.

You've got several issues with the build...

- Socket 1156 is now outdated by the on-hold socket 1155. I highly recommend you wait a month or so for the return of 1155.

- Dominator is old news, it's all about the Vengeance now. $115 your CA monies

- I'd highly recommend you drop the sound card, drop the CPU aftermarket cooler, and put the money towards a higher graphics card.

- You don't need an 800w unless you are looking at dual GPU in the future.

- Blu-ray burner? Seriously? Why would you need a Blu-ray burner? That's a ton of money. You can get a Blu-ray player / DVD burner for quite a bit less if you really need Blu-ray on desktop.

See my sig for bla bla.
    Last edited by rabb1t; 02-09-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post

- Socket 1156 is now outdated by the on-hold socket 1155. I highly recommend you wait a month or so for the return of 1155.

I don't pay attention to INTEL so I would go with him.

- I'd highly recommend you drop the sound card, drop the CPU aftermarket cooler, and put the money towards a higher graphics card.

Sound card, maybe, he could have a sweet sound setup? And the cooler: I agree, unless your going to OC, even still if you OC just a tad the stock cooler should be fine.

he said he might in the future.

- Blu-ray burner? Seriously? Why would you need a Blu-ray burner? That's a ton of money. You can get a Blu-ray player / DVD burner for quite a bit less if you really need Blu-ray on desktop.

See my sig for bla bla.

Blu Ray, why not? eventually Blu Ray will be the standard, maybe he wants to watch blu rays on his 37 INCH monitor with his sweet sound set up? lol
    Last edited by Pooshonmyshoos; 02-09-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooshonmyshoos View Post
    Blu Ray, why not? eventually Blu Ray will be the standard, maybe he wants to watch blu rays on his 37 INCH monitor with his sweet sound set up? lol
    Did you actually read my comment?

Lite-On iHOS104-08 Blu-ray reader / DVD burner - $54, less than half the cost of his.

I'd guess than 95% of people who are burning media do not need to burn Blu-ray.

with his sweet sound set up?
    Do you actually know the tech used in Blu-ray? PC is incapable of reproducing uncompressed audio out to a sound source. The best sound on Blu-ray can't be used by PC. Yes, if you pay enough for the software ($100+) you can get Dolby-HD which is very nice, but you'd also need a sound card capable of outputting it, which he does have in the original build, but it comes at no small price to do so. (Blu-ray drives for PC rarely come with software that will decode higher than 2.1 uncompressed, or Dolby DTS to 5.1)
    Last edited by rabb1t; 02-09-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast

ARr

- Dominator is old news, it's all about the Vengeance now. $115 your CA monies

See my sig for bla bla.
    I see your point with the burner.However my understanding was specifically with the MOBO i am getting you can OC the hell out of your cpu , thats why i wanted the cooler.

The 5850 2 gig is not good enough? Ive seen some pretty convincing tests and was thinking of going crossfire in the near future.

Good tip on that ram, looking into it now.

The sound card is really important to me.I got a nice receiver and surround sound all setup, so that would be a huge bonus.

If the 5850 2 gig is really that poor of a card il just wait another month , can prolly save up around 300$ more or so.
    Last edited by ARr; 02-09-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Shield of Telara

Did you actually read my comment?

Lite-On iHOS104-08 Blu-ray reader / DVD burner - $54, less than half the cost of his.

I'd guess than 95% of people who are burning media do not need to burn Blu-ray.
    Did you actually read mine? No guess not.

Lemme Quite

"Eventually Blu Ray will be the standard"

Meaning in a year or hell even now almost, most PCS are coming with Blu ray and eventually Blu Ray Burners, or maybe he has a hacked PS3 that can play burned games.

Did I ever say a word about the price? No, I did not. Thank you sir.

And jesus christ dude, about the sound. I don't care about the tech, if he has stuff that that sound card can use, then so be it. IDC if PCs cant have the best sound in the world, wtf would the point of his speakers (if he has any) if he can't hook the damn things up.

The sound card is really important to me.I got a nice receiver and surround sound all setup, so that would be a huge bonus.
    Oh damn, whose smart.
    Last edited by Pooshonmyshoos; 02-09-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooshonmyshoos View Post
    "Eventually Blu Ray will be the standard"
    Yes and no.

Yes, it will become more predominant as a media than it is now. It's adoption rate has been significantly higher than DVD's introduction, so yes, it is going more mainstream than not.

No, it will likely never replace DVD as the standard in number of players in the global marketplace because the higher-end tech areas will be pure download based by the time Blu-ray ever reaches global saturation. Due to the fact that there is zero noticeable difference on older TVs, and is far more difficult for pirates to copy in 3rd world areas, most of the globe will not care to adopt it.

No, even if it does become the standard world-wide, that still doesn't mean he needs to pay triple "today" to be able to pay as much as 5-10 per disk to burn on Blu-ray instead of DVD.

Shield of Telara

Yes and no.

Yes, it will become more predominant as a media than it is now. It's adoption rate has been significantly higher than DVD's introduction, so yes, it is going more mainstream than not.

No, it will likely never replace DVD as the standard in number of players in the global marketplace because the higher-end tech areas will be pure download based by the time Blu-ray ever reaches global saturation. Due to the fact that there is zero noticeable difference on older TVs, and is far more difficult for pirates to copy in 3rd world areas, most of the globe will not care to adopt it.

No, even if it does become the standard world-wide, that still doesn't mean he needs to pay triple "today" to be able to pay as much as 5-10 per disk to burn on Blu-ray instead of DVD.
    I have a Blu Ray Burner, and I've used it more times than you can think of. It's all about usage.

And I am pretty damn sure people said

"PFFT Dvd will never work because the DVDS are 5-10 bucks a pop. and everything else you just said. ^.^
    Last edited by Pooshonmyshoos; 02-09-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ARr View Post
    The 5850 2 gig is not good enough? Ive seen some pretty convincing tests and was thinking of going crossfire in the near future.
    It is a solid mainstream card, sure. But the fact is that if someone is just "thinking" about going dual card in the future they likely never will. By the time they get around to saving up more for it, or feeling like they really need to, a new GPU generation has come along and it's a better idea to upgrade to the new generation.

Your choice, it is a solid card, I just think there are some areas you can shave off a bit of cost and get something even better.

ARr

yah i was originally thinking of something higher up the line with ATI but i was reading some reviews that said the amount you can push the 5850 vs the price difference of the upper models its only a 15% difference.

Or something to that effect ( 15% may not be the true number ) but it was a slight increase based on price that really put the 5850 into my mind.

hmph.

Il re think.

Aswell as the fact that im using a i5 vs a i7.

lol i usually do alot of this stuff at 3 am and only remember the stuff i write down - -'''
    Last edited by ARr; 02-09-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Rift Disciple

You can save a little bit on the GPU of your choice by getting one with a bit less VRAM.

BUT ...
    This depends on what your intended setup is.
    For example, if you play at 1920x1080 or lower resolution, on a single display, the 2GB will not really help that much.

However, if you plan on running 2 displays off a single card, then it will.

Power Supply, I would reccomend going with a Corsair. A 650W would be more than enough powerr for a single GPU, as as many periphials as you want to add, with power to spare.

BleRay Burner, well your call here depending what you want to do with the PC. it would be cheaper to get a Bluray reader however.
    You can still play BluRay, and have CD/DVD/DVD-DL burning.

Then, with what you save, get a SSD for the OS and applications.
    Even with just these installed on the SSD, and Games, Music,Videos etc on spinning drives, everything will be much faster.
    Single best performance upgrade you can do to any PC. --
    Besides, the advantages a SSD offer to Games is minor in the grand scheme of things, and not worth the cost at this time. But it does a world of wonders for the OS and apps that are constantly reading from it.

Alternative GPU choices:
    Nvidia 560
    ATI 6870
    ATI 6950
    Nvidia 570
    Last edited by CenturyChild; 02-09-2011 at 12:32 PM.
    System Specs:
    MOBO: DFI DK x48
    CPU/RAM: Intel Q9650 @ 3.6 -- 8GB G-Skill Pi 1066 (4x2GB)
    Audio: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (5.1 Speaker setup)
    GPU: Sapphire HD4890 Toxic
    Power: Corsair 650W PSU
    Case: Antec 900
    HDs: Intel 40GB SSDx2 -- 1TB & 640GB WD Black Ed.Spinners
    Display: LG-2453 @ 1920x1080

Are you going to OC the cpu through the bios ?
    It isn't really recomended.
    Comfort is a perspective of ideology.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast