+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rift video card requirements...

Soulwalker

Default Rift video card requirements...

I have 2 computers and a laptop and only my laptop can actually run rift. It has the requirements and runs rift fine on a medium-low video setting. My other computer can not run the game what so ever even with the requirements and thats just because its a bad computer. My third computer has all the requirements but one insignificant thing, and i can't even play the game. It won't even let me open the log in screen because it says "Insufficient video card" even though i can run almost any game on this computer with easy. I think Rift needs to have the minimum requirements to let everyone know what will be "required" but they need to get rid of it not allowing players to actually see if their computer can run it if they are missing 1 small insignificant requirement that doesn't effect game play. This would allow me to play with more ease and probably others with this kind of problem. And for those of you who will just tell me to replace video cards or go buy one, why should i when i know i can run this game fine without getting one. Thats all i'm saying.

Ascendant

You did give any useful info.... what video card, CPU, memory both system and video.

Use this site also and look for RIFT

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/
    Last edited by Romiz; 02-09-2011 at 11:25 AM.
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

Soulwalker

I used www.canirunit.com and i have all the requirements besides the 2.0 Pixel shader and Hardware T&L

Soulwalker

Wait, i actually have the pixel shader requirement.

Hardware T&L has been required by basically every 3D game on the planet (save for WoW) produced in the last 6 years or so. If you are running games it's not games that were created anytime soon, or they were games that were created with global / older specs in mind. This error will prevent you from running any current games, ex: Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Battlefield, etc., etc.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

RIFT Community Ambassador

zomg! who knew they would post the system reqs for the game on the main site

but really you can find sys reqs for any game if you actually look for a couple minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    Hardware T&L has been required by basically every 3D game on the planet (save for WoW) produced in the last 6 years or so. If you are running games it's not games that were created anytime soon, or they were games that were created with global / older specs in mind. This error will prevent you from running any current games, ex: Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Battlefield, etc., etc.
    hmm hardware t&l... im not 100% on this and may have to go look it up. didnt even really really really old cards like those made by 3dfx have that. i swear i remember it actually being stated on boxes of stuff at some time!
    Last edited by HeavyMetalLucidity; 02-09-2011 at 12:00 PM.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Waaay to old of a video card.

Mean of me to say this but I like the higher req for Rift. Keeps the non serious gamers out.

Tierd of dealing with xbox quality gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Eggo View Post
    Waaay to old of a video card.

Mean of me to say this but I like the higher req for Rift. Keeps the non serious gamers out.

Tierd of dealing with xbox quality gamers.
    really its not that high a req for rift. sure its higher than WoW or EQ2, but look at when Rift was created compared to when the other 2 were. compared to systems now out, the requirments arent that much.

heck, my sister with a single core processor athlon 3200+ and geforce 6800 and 2gb ram is playing rift. its in legacy render mode but she is able to play. i doubt i would be happy with the 12-16fps the way i am about my games, but she is sure happy to be playing.
    Last edited by HeavyMetalLucidity; 02-09-2011 at 12:34 PM.

If your having trouble playing coz of low end machine put the video settings on lowest.
    Everbody can't have everything''
    Oh incadently! ZX specrum have been re-released.
    Comfort is a perspective of ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    hmm hardware t&l... im not 100% on this and may have to go look it up. didnt even really really really old cards like those made by 3dfx have that.
    It's not about the age of the technology, it's about what does and does not include it. My netbook is not a gaming system, and it does not include hardware T&L in the chip, yet it's only about 1.5 years old.
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    It's not about the age of the technology, it's about what does and does not include it. My netbook is not a gaming system, and it does not include hardware T&L in the chip, yet it's only about 1.5 years old.
    true. i was just making the observation that the tech has been around for a very long time.

i think the OP needs to post their specs really. i want to see what they are really running. its easy enough to say its old stuff just right off because it not running it. and sure the OP can say they dont think they need to replace anything because they think they can run whatever they want. having some actual specs posted though would help see whats actually what on that thing and if its a lost cause or not.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLucidity View Post
    true. i was just making the observation that the tech has been around for a very long time.
    Yeah I think it has. I don't know if it goes all the way back to 3dFX, I'm sure it can be Wikied, but yeah, the fact that chips don't have it these days is kinda surprising. Particularly supposed gaming chips like the recent Intel ones used in some laptops. (I think it's the 4500 series that lacks it but came out within the past few years.)

i think the OP needs to post their specs really.
    Yap, but I highly doubt any will be upgradeable to gaming levels if the one that lacks hardware T&L is the closest to running it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralJoo View Post
    I used www.canirunit.com and i have all the requirements besides the 2.0 Pixel shader and Hardware T&L
    And them are major needs to play the game.
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

+ Reply to Thread