+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This system should be better but its not

Rift Disciple

Question This system should be better but its not

Don't have a ton of tech knowledge but, I do a lot of video editing with Adobe Premiere CS5.
    I have to have my game running on Medium settings to prevent noticeable lag.

System Specs:
    CPU: Core i7 920
    RAM: 12 Gig DDR3 1333
    Video: Nvidia GTX 460 1gig
    PSU: TmTk 450 ( low limit for videocard )
    Monitor is where I "think" I may have the issue. Samsung 32". Will trying to render to that screen size in full HD cause issues with the game that I don't notice when editing video or is it more likely the PSU?

your Video card probably can't push that much performance at that resolution, and your PSU is definately about capped for that machine, I would suggest getting a second 460 and SLI'ing them, as well as a larger PSU for when your system needs to pull as much power as it can.
    Beta Participated: SW:TOR, RIFT,EQ2:SF, EQ2:TSO, AoC, STO, GW, RO
    Veteran of: SWTOR, AOC (again), STO, EQ2, LOTRO, WAR, AoC, Van, DAoC, CoH, WOW, GW, Lin2, SWG, Lin1, AO, RO, EQ, UO, Medievia

Quote Originally Posted by Baile View Post
    Don't have a ton of tech knowledge but, I do a lot of video editing with Adobe Premiere CS5.
    I have to have my game running on Medium settings to prevent noticeable lag.

System Specs:
    CPU: Core i7 920
    RAM: 12 Gig DDR3 1333
    Video: Nvidia GTX 460 1gig
    PSU: TmTk 450 ( low limit for videocard )
    Monitor is where I "think" I may have the issue. Samsung 32". Will trying to render to that screen size in full HD cause issues with the game that I don't notice when editing video or is it more likely the PSU?
    LOL. WHy.

You failed to mention the resolutiong of said monitor.
    IT isn't the SIZE of the monitor that matters it is the number of pixels on the screen. SCREEN RESOLUTION.
    If it is just merely HD specification that is nothing and is not the factor. That is merely 1200x1024 or so. Dont' care if the screen is 10 inches or 60 inches. Same rez.
    Same demand on the GPU. No difference.

For the record my GTX 285 is about the same as your GTX460 in overall game scores (other games) cept it can not do DX11.
    In Rift the system below gets (using Ultra and High settings) with shadows on AA off around 28-38FPS in typical
    in game running around, that includes at low end in cities and 'high end' inn some areas outdoors.
    In rifts and big heavy load areas with lots of players it drops to about 18fps.

I found no difference when swapping screen rez to much lower. I found little to no difference at medium settings. I found a huge
    boost using low. LOL.
    Game is wonky.

I suggest your problem lies perhaps in memory timing. Perhaps CPU speed is not what you think. In theory your box should do at least as well as mine and perhaps a teeny bit better considering it is a faster cpu.
    (After looking at your system specs I"m betting more on memory timing/issue. 12 gigs eh?... )
    I did overclock mine to 3.6GHZ it seemed to help.

YEs, that Power supply could be choking things but then i'd expect you'd be having stability issues if that was the case.
    GTX460 however isn't near the energy consumer the 470 and up is.
    Windows 7 64bit, Mobo: Abit IP-35 Pro, CPU: Intel Core 2 E8500 OC@3.60hz, RAM 4GB, GPU: Nvidia GTX 580: (Pre 03/2011 was GTX 285, Driver 197.45)
    Sound: Realtek, Monitor LG 24 inch Dell U2410 at 1920x1280, Mouse: Logitech G5 with v4.80 64 bit Setpoint drivers.
    Keyboard: Logitech G15

Ascendant

Actually there are two types of lag, one that is caused by your connection speed, and the other that is caused by system performance, whether it is video or data retreival.

The GTX 460 is actually sufficient for this game unless you have it on some ridiculously high graphics setting, what is more likely is your internet connection or maybe even your hard drive when the game goes to retreive some more graphics files. My laptop runs this game just fine and it is nowhere near as powerful as this computer.
    Last edited by MoonDragn; 02-09-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Rift Disciple

to clarify then
    My monitors res is set to 1920x1080 ( native ) and so is the res I play in as well. I'm getting flat 60 fps (vsync) dropping to around 30 during the stress world encounters. ( seemed low to me)

I just installed a Corsair GS700 to replace the old one. I'll see if that helps ( crosses fingers)

If not then I will look at HDDs next.
    I edit full 1080p without issue all day. Could be like Soltan said and be a memory issue.
    Video editing doesn't require so much speed as amount and gaming is opposite faster is better than amount. Need to find the balance.
    As to connection issues. Had that with wireless with drops before but now I'm hardwired on a 25 MB line.

Thanks for the input folks
    Last edited by Baile; 02-09-2011 at 01:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread