+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buying a new PC need advice.

Default Buying a new PC need advice.

The computer I have now is complete crap. Even with the settings on minimum I still lag. So I figured it's finally time for an upgrade. I just got my tax return check (yay) so I'm buying a new PC. These are the specs of the new PC.

Intel Core i7 870 processor
    2.93GHz, 8MB Cache
    4GB DDR3 system memory
    1TB SATA II hard drive
    24x multi-format DVD burner
    10/100/1000 Ethernet
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX460 graphics
    With 1GB dedicated graphics memory
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition

The PC cost about $1,000. I wanted to know would a PC like this be able to play Rift on max settings? If not what would need to be upgraded in order for it to play Rift on max settings? Thanks for you're time.

Quote Originally Posted by Reshiram View Post
    play Rift on max settings?

No
    Even with triple SLI GTX 580 and Intel Core i7-980X nobody can guarantee a comfortable gameplay, due bad optimization of game engine.

Telaran

The computer I have now is complete crap. Even with the settings on minimum I still lag. So I figured it's finally time for an upgrade. I just got my tax return check (yay) so I'm buying a new PC. These are the specs of the new PC.

2.93GHz, 8MB Cache
    4GB DDR3 system memory
    1TB SATA II hard drive
    10/100/1000 Ethernet

The PC cost about $1,000. I wanted to know would a PC like this be able to play Rift on max settings? If not what would need to be upgraded in order for it to play Rift on max settings? Thanks for you're time.
    I would probably get a pair of 768 MB GTX 460's instead of a single 1GB if you get an SLI capable motherboard. The difference between the 192bit 768MB and 256bit 1GB isn't really noticeable except at extremely high resolutions. With there being around a $40 difference in price id rather pay another 50 total and get two 768's. (89.99 after rebate at tigerdirect.com right now) Make sure you get a memory config in which you can add ram in the future without scrapping what you already have as well.
    Last edited by Eboo; 02-09-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Champion of Telara

CPU Choice:Its perfectly fine

I would go for a I7 950..Better overall..Older but more of a "high-end" socket/chipset combo..(If you want to go to older CPUs..their price range difference is..5-10E..Or you can wait 20 days for the new Sandy Bridge motherboards to arrive for a i7 2600/K which smokes both of the above certainly).

Ram: Doesnt really matter..4GB of DDR3 at 1.333Mhz or 1.600Mhz..Its your choice..Price difference is minimal-non existant..I would check the timings on the RAM before buying them though..Lower the better basically.

Hard Drive:I would suggest a small SSD.."Small" being 50-80GB and a 1TB HDD for whatever else storage you want.
    Small SSD's are around 100-150E.. Not talking about the crap ones..285+ Read/Write speeds..OCZ ones actually..Vertex 2 if you want a specific brand..The 1TB HDD is cheap as hell anyway so you can buy one whenever you want this is the biggest upgrade a modern PC can have nowdays..I bought one myself...few months ago..Cant be compared to any other upgrade. (Overall performance..In games its just much faster loading times and loading people/areas a bit faster most of the time although that depends on your GPU also).

DvD Reader/Write doesnt matter..Get whatever.

Motherboard: Apparently you think Lan speed matters..

Get a motherboard which has whatever you need..Check it out properly..Read it....Do you want 1600MHz Ram? Does that mobo has it..no..Over to the next one..Do i need Firewire? Whats that? Ignore..Dont want it.. do i need something else.. etc etc..Do i need 7.1 on board sound card for my home theater speakers..Yes..Etc etc...You need to check what kind of motherboard you need..Lan speed does not matter all about 95% of mobos nowdays have gigabit lan.

GPU (Graphics card): GTX460 is an awesome model indeed..But its outdated already..Get a GTX 560 Ti..Simple as that..Buying stuff that the company already outdated is a bad choice cause the proper support on it stops also.

PSU (Power Supply):Get something along the range of 700W to be safe of everything..In case for some reason something goes bad..(GPU usually) and the new ones require more power..This should cover you for ~2 years..Or if you want to be completely safe..850W+..Also do not get crappy ones..Search for a 80PLUS mark or even better 80PLUS Gold mark..

The overall range of the above is give or take 950-1050E If you pick up proper stuff..You need to search a bit yourself..I dont know the store you are buying stuff from.
    Last edited by potis; 02-09-2011 at 06:42 AM.

Champion

2.93GHz, 8MB Cache
    4GB DDR3 system memory
    1TB SATA II hard drive
    10/100/1000 Ethernet

Unless you NEED the extra threading the 800 sereies offers over the 700, I'd suggest you save youself a pretty penny and go with a i760 (quad core/quad thread @ 2.8Ghz) or possibly a i5 680 (Dual Core/ Quad thread @ 3.6Ghz) then take the extra $100 savings and upgrade the GTX 460 to either a GTX 560/470 or a HD6870/6950.
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by SirPent View Post
    Unless you NEED the extra threading the 800 sereies offers over the 700, I'd suggest you save youself a pretty penny and go with a i760 (quad core/quad thread @ 2.8Ghz) or possibly a i5 680 (Dual Core/ Quad thread @ 3.6Ghz) then take the extra $100 savings and upgrade the GTX 460 to either a GTX 560/470 or a HD6870/6950.
    Agreed,

If you are using this system mainly for gaming id rather get a higher clocked i5.

Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to build a computer using the information I gathered in this thread. A friend of mine recommended this website http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ Is this a reliable website? If not are there any good websites for me to build a computer? I was gonna check out Alienware but a friend told me not to even bother as they're stuff is way over priced.

Why buy old technology ? get an i5 k series sandy bridge n mobo prett awsome in benchmarks

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by decrypter View Post
    Why buy old technology ? get an i5 k series sandy bridge n mobo prett awsome in benchmarks
    Probably doesn't want to wait for Sandy Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by SirPent View Post
    This is what I would do if you are on a budget.

Plane Touched

Most of it does sound too be a great solution for a new PC as the others have adviced try and increase on the graphics sollution if posible.
    As for running Rift in Beta 6 it seems that people were having very different results with close too the same hardware. With Beta 7 maybe some more work has been done on the client and will give us better results across the board. However for now its not clear what will run Rift well and what wont.

+ Reply to Thread