+ Reply to Thread

Thread: video card crashes / screen freezes ...

Soulwalker

Exclamation video card crashes / screen freezes ...

I have read that some people here experience freezes of different kinds. Ofc it can be caused by obsolete graphic cards that are set to process heavier graphics that they are intended to do, but if you experience a screen freeze in the middle of e sudden situation where graphics are changed into tough processing - or without apparent reason, it can easily be because of dust.
    The video card has a fan that run different speeds in relation to how much heat it needs to remove from the processor.
    If you have never vacuumed or removed dust from your motherboards or video cards fans it can be a reason for normal screen frrezes - simply because your cards heat up and stop working.
    I vacuum and remove dust at least every 3 month. It's not much, but if i let it build up i am sure to experience that eventually lumps of dust will cause the fan to run slower or even cease to function.

And even if dust issn't the problem - no harm done removing it - your machine will under all circumstances be healthier.

Remove the side panel, get a vacuum cleaner to get out most - then remove the remnants with a brush or a wooden stick.

NEVER use a stick or a pin made outta metal (static electricity can burn your cards) - and of course do NOT have the power turned on while you clean.

Happy cleaning ...

... Winterweaver

I prefer compressed air to vacuuming, and would recommend unplugging the system. Opening also remove the fan(s) and/or shrouds if you can, as that will allow the air to reach the fins of the heatsink more easily.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Xor
    Soulwalker

i get the same problem. i had zero issues in beta 5 over multiple multi-hour sessions. beta 6? could barely play for 20 minutes before vertical bars started flashing and bam, they stay forever.

video card crashes / screen freezes ...-181347_642382807760_21904886_37014212_7548604_n.jpg

i've been told "update ati drivers to 11.1" and "downgrade ati drivers to 10.10 or 10.12," as well as being told to get the application profile, turn all settings in catalyst control center to "use application settings."

like the OP, zero problems with any other game. even with rift on low settings, 15-20 minutes and crash

using an asus g73jh laptop, 1.6 GHz i7, 6 GB RAM, 1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon 5870, win 7 x64, blah blah blah. i dust with compressed air daily. what else ya got?
    Last edited by Xor; 02-09-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Soulwalker

Default ATI and catalyst

On another machine i had an ATI card. Reading descriptions it seemed that catalyst was an improvement - but i got wiser.

NEVER have i had so many crashes and freezes. It improves yes - but for some reason it also caused many more and a bunch of errors and crashes / screen freezes.

* Try this: Find different versions of your card driver (from latest to six month previous versions) - download them all.

* Uninstall catalyst completely with all the installed features - even your card driver.

* Then you install oldest version of your card driver ... not working ? Install next version.

* If you at some point reach a card driver that works - remember the version number.

* Install next version number - if it also works - remember that.

* Install until you reach a version number that doesn't function properly ... uninstall card driver and reinstall previous working version.

* After installation - reinstall catalyst - but not the card driver.

* If you again experience crashes and / or errors - uninstall catalyst - completely with card driver and reinstall the latest version again that worked.

>

I will never use catalyst again despite the fine features !
    I have before installed older versions that made a game work. Sometimes it is a matter of running smooth game engine compared to high graphical setting.

>

And the dumbass advice ... if it doesn't work at all, trying the above - i can only recommend buying a new video card. You can probably get a second hand somewhere - unless you invest in a video card recommended by Rift.

> Hope some of it works. It's hard work, but it might pay off.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Xor View Post
    i get the same problem. i had zero issues in beta 5 over multiple multi-hour sessions. beta 6? could barely play for 20 minutes before vertical bars started flashing and bam, they stay forever.

Attachment 2204

i've been told "update ati drivers to 11.1" and "downgrade ati drivers to 10.10 or 10.12," as well as being told to get the application profile, turn all settings in catalyst control center to "use application settings."

like the OP, zero problems with any other game. even with rift on low settings, 15-20 minutes and crash

using an asus g73jh laptop, 1.6 GHz i7, 6 GB RAM, 1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon 5870, win 7 x64, blah blah blah. i dust with compressed air daily. what else ya got?
    I have the exact same laptop, did you ever do the vbios update and the 211 bios update?

wrong thread
    Last edited by Anakha; 02-11-2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: oops
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

+ Reply to Thread