+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tech savvy? Memory clock speed issue.

Default Tech savvy? Memory clock speed issue.

Operating system
    64-bit Windows 7 (6.1.7600)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. SABERTOOTH X58
    Hard drive model
    Memory
    6144 MB
    Module 1
    2048 MB Corsair 9 @ 533 MHz
    Module 2
    Module 3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-286-_-Product

So, it looks like my ram is running at 533 mhz, when it's rated for 1600. I changed it to 1600 in bios and set the voltage to 1.5v. Maybe I did something wrong, I'm not the most tech savvy guy in the world. Any suggestions? I do notice the 533x3 adds up to 1600 so perhaps it's working as intended in this tri-channel setup? Helps :P

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire82 View Post
    Operating system
    Motherboard
    Hard drive model
    Memory
    6144 MB
    Module 1
    Module 2
    Module 3

So, it looks like my ram is running at 533 mhz, when it's rated for 1600. I changed it to 1600 in bios and set the voltage to 1.5v. Maybe I did something wrong, I'm not the most tech savvy guy in the world. Any suggestions? I do notice the 533x3 adds up to 1600 so perhaps it's working as intended in this tri-channel setup? Helps :P
    Are you sure the memory is installed in the right slots? Is the memory in triple channel or single channel mode? Also do not mess with anything in BIOS if you do not know what you are doing. My recommendation is to pull your memory, blow the memory slot out with compressed air, and reinstall the memory insuring they are in the correct slots.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Operating system
    Motherboard
    Hard drive model
    Memory
    6144 MB
    Module 1
    Module 2
    Module 3

you are correct its tri chanel memory so its 533 x 3 = 1599 = 1600 mhz basically its all fine

Mines dual channel runs @ 800 x 2 = 1600 you see what i mean ?
    Last edited by decrypter; 02-09-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: added some info

Ascendant

I would suggest that you not muck around with your bios if you don't know what you are doing. The speed of the memory depends on your base clock or BCLK setting for your CPU, when you bump up the speed of your memory, you can be overclocking your CPU as well. You need to understand how to change your bios settings first and slowly change your settings a little bit at a time and use a stress testing program to make sure your system is stable at each change. Just setting the memory to some frequency can seriously damage your machine.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by decrypter View Post
    you are correct its tri chanel memory so its 533 x 3 = 1599 = 1600 mhz basically its all fine
    This is completely false. In order for the ram to be running at 1600 mhz (effective) it must be running at 800 mhz (actual). The 1600 mhz speed is derived from the DDR (double data-rate) not the "dual channel" as one poster above claims. DDR ram transfers information twice per clock cycle. So 800 mhz DDR has an effective speed of 1600. Tri-channel has nothing to do with actual memory speed, tri-channel relates to bandwidth.

Anyways, your bios should look something like this:

IMPORTANT: Pay attention ONLY to the "Target DRAM Frequency" and "DRAM Fequency" (highlighted in white). All other settings have been changed for my personal overclock. I can't promise your system will be stable if you copy all of my settings exactly as is. One thing you do not see here is the ram voltage. It should be at 1.65 when running at 1600 mhz per the manufacture.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_u...0/IMG_0648.JPG

Your ram should be installed like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_u...0/IMG_0650.JPG

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions respond in this thread or PM me. As we have the same motherboards it will be easy for me to help you out.
    Last edited by Dinian; 02-09-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinian View Post
    This is completely false. In order for the ram to be running at 1600 mhz (effective) it must be running at 800 mhz (actual). The 1600 mhz speed is derived from the DDR2 (double data-rate) not the "dual channel" as one poster above claims. DDR2 ram transfers information twice per clock cycle. So 800 mhz DDR2 has an effective speed of 1600. Tri-channel has nothing to do with actual memory speed, tri-channel relates to bandwidth.

IMPORTANT: Pay attention ONLY to the "Target DRAM Frequency" and "DRAM Fequency" (highlighted in white). All other settings have been changed for my personal overclock. I can't promise your system will be stable if you copy my settings exactly as is.

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions respond in this thread or PM me. As we have the same motherboards it will be easy for me to help you out.
    Fair play , i am mistaken , but did you underclock your ram then ? to get 4 ghZ O.C

So according to you then his ram is running at 533 x 2 = 1066 ? lol

btw X.M.P memory profiles are very unstable ,

This is completely false. In order for the ram to be running at 1600 mhz (effective) it must be running at 800 mhz (actual). The 1600 mhz speed is derived from the DDR2 (double data-rate) not the "dual channel" as one poster above claims. DDR2 ram transfers information twice per clock cycle. So 800 mhz DDR2 has an effective speed of 1600. Tri-channel has nothing to do with actual memory speed, tri-channel relates to bandwidth.

IMPORTANT: Pay attention ONLY to the "Target DRAM Frequency" and "DRAM Fequency" (highlighted in white). All other settings have been changed for my personal overclock. I can't promise your system will be stable if you copy all of my settings exactly as is. One thing you do not see here is the ram voltage. It should be at 1.65 when running at 1600 mhz per the manufacture.

Off topic: Nice H50.

On topic: ^ Yeah what he said. I still would reinstall the DIMMs as chip creep could have set in.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Telaran

Fair play , i am mistaken , but did you underclock your ram then ? to get 4 ghZ O.C

So according to you then his ram is running at 533 x 2 = 1066 ? lol

btw X.M.P memory profiles are very unstable ,
    My ram is not under-clocked, it is being ran at a divider in order to keep it as close to 1600 as possible.

Yes, his ram is running at 1066 currently.

X.M.P. is no less stable than running a ram at its non-overclocked speeds assuming the ram you purchase is branded as, and approved as X.M.P. More info here.

My ram is not under-clocked, it is being ran at a divider in order to keep it as close to 1600 as possible.

Yes, his ram is running at 1066 currently.

X.M.P. is no less stable than running a ram at its non-overclocked speeds assuming the ram you purchase is branded as, and approved as X.M.P. More info here.
    ALways had troubles using X.M.P prefer to set my own and prime 95 it

Operating system
    Motherboard
    Hard drive model
    Memory
    6144 MB
    Module 1
    Module 2
    Module 3

pretty sure that ram is 1.65v if youre experienced enter bios up your voltage to 1.64v and change you ram frequency to 1600 mhz , its currently running @ 1066mhz for some reason

ALways had troubles using X.M.P prefer to set my own and prime 95 it
    DANGIT!! Yet another software I need to add to the list.

Shield of Telara

First DDR2 is the Double Data Rate 2, DDR3 which is what you and he both have is Double Data Rate 3.

"DDR3 modules can transfer data at a rate of 8002133 MT/s using both rising and falling edges of a 4001066 MHz I/O clock. Sometimes, a vendor may misleadingly advertise the I/O clock rate by labeling the MT/s as MHz."

So in essence what you are see with that 533MHZ is the actual clock speed of the ram for him x 2. "The MT/s is normally twice that of MHz by double sampling, one on the rising clock edge, and the other, on the falling."

So yes his ram is running slower than rated speed.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm sitting on my bios now, have thed DRAM Frequency set to 1600. My question now is the voltage the DRAM Bus value or the QPI/DRAM core that's supposed to be 1.65v? I'm assuming the bus?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick494 View Post
    First DDR2 is the Double Data Rate 2, DDR3 which is what you and he both have is Double Data Rate 3.

"DDR3 modules can transfer data at a rate of 800–2133 MT/s using both rising and falling edges of a 400–1066 MHz I/O clock. Sometimes, a vendor may misleadingly advertise the I/O clock rate by labeling the MT/s as MHz."

So in essence what you are see with that 533MHZ is the actual clock speed of the ram for him x 2. "The MT/s is normally twice that of MHz by double sampling, one on the rising clock edge, and the other, on the falling."

So yes his ram is running slower than rated speed.
    Substitute all of my DDR2's for DDR3's. Better yet, just substitute them for DDR. Either way my explanation and information remains sound (double data rate does not change whether it is DDR1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc). Evidently I am stuck 3 years in the past.
    Last edited by Dinian; 02-09-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Thank you for taking the time to take the picture. That is how my sticks are installed yep. I'll snap a shot here in a min if the quality is decent enough from ipod.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast